Kaseya Community

What are YOUR tips and tricks?

• Morning folks..or at least, morning to those in my neck of the woods Smile

I was brought in to my current position to, essentially, learn the ins and outs and nooks and crannies of Kaseya. I've gotten pretty up to date, followed along through a lot of the trainings which were MASSIVELY helpful to me.

Currently I mainly am just reporting; I have disk space and error report logs sent to me weekly, as well as alerts set up on backups and if a server should go down. We're still easing into managing antivirus/spyware and windows updates (Someone here was apparently burned crashing a server with one or more of the aforementioned products and it's made them very timid in trying new things.)

The question I'm posing to you folks now: I feel like, even through the training and whatnot, I'm still not using Kaseya to it's full potential. I'm curious what neat little tips, tricks, hacks, etc. anybody might want to share with the rest of us. I thought this might also develop into a good thread for those just starting out to get some quick neat little tricks to impress the clients.

In advance, thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.

Legacy Forum Name: What are YOUR tips and tricks?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: RyanASP
  • Since this went nowhere one of my own I'd toss out there...not so much a trick or anything, just a useful utility I hadn't used. While trying to develop monitoring on Backup Exec I stumbled across a thread in the forum detailing counter sets for Backup Exec. I didn't have them, but I knew we used the product. The built in kaseya help led me to "Update lists by scan"...and I don't think my life will ever be the same Smile

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
  • Hey Ryan, could you elabourate on the Update lists by scan feature you have come across? BE monitoring is something I'm struggling to get 100% sorted.

A useful tip/trick of my own? You can write a script to deploy via a UNC path to a server share between multiple clients by using the %LOGONSERVER:~2% for the path to their server. Note that this will only work on machines in a domain and it will only point to their domain controller!

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • In your thread asking about the executive report there was a comment about using just a counter set to monitor Backup Exec. Once told where to look, I didn't have said counter set. Essentially it just hadn't been added into Kaseya yet. This is also how I discovered the "update lists" thing. Essentially, when using that feature, you choose the computer(s) you want Kaseya to scan. It will then generate and build new counters based on what it scans on the destination computer. You then just need to create the monitor set and apply those counters to it.

Hope that was clear, I can be a bit convoluted at times. Cheers!

• Ahhh right. Yep, I stumbled across that the other day also. Its pretty handy!

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • nime is, be careful in what you do, if you are unsure then do it on a virtual pc so that if you stuff something up, you won't do any harm.

Legacy Posted By Username: dfenn