Kaseya Community

Remote Control from a Mac

• Is it possible to initiate Remote Control from a Mac? I'm assuming it is not as WinVNC, RAdmin etc are for Windows only and the software would need to install on the controlling machine right?

Legacy Forum Name: Remote Control from a Mac,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Grant Wilson
  • Currently only solution for remote control from a MAC to the PC thru Kaseya is to run IE inside of something like VMware or Parallels Desktop w/ Windows XP or Vista installed, and then it works the same as if you were using a PC in the first place.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • Why are u using a Mac to administer PC's???Big Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: VNET
  • VNET
    Why are u using a Mac to administer PC's???Big Smile

Why not???????

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I think that must be a violation of some international law... somewhere... Wink

Legacy Posted By Username: SADAsystems
  • SADAsystems
    I think that must be a violation of some international law... somewhere... Wink

We're doing it as well! It works great!

Legacy Posted By Username: jksanford
  • Logmein.com now supports Macs

Legacy Posted By Username: pairmsupport
  • And soon Kaseya will as well we are told - this quarter in fact!

• I wrote a little howto on how to get remote control working from Linux, and this should work from Mac (>=OSX). Why? Because smart(*ss) people only use BSD or Linux Smile Yea, watch out Winblows.

You just need to compile/install realvnc and ie6. This is done for Linux via Wine and should be less of a problem with the Mac version of IE. Let me know if this works for OSX (because I don't have one around to test):

This enables you to remotely control VNC clients from the Kaseya web interface. Do you have Wine installed? This will probably work faster if it's already setup.

1. Install ies4linux:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Installation

2. Test IE connection to Kaseya server

# ie6

You may have to trust the site (if using SSL), enable pop-ups, . etc. I can't remember all the bloat associated with IE so this might be some trial and error on your part. I bumped into how Kaseya's ActiveX worked: IE through Wine opening these ports that could be seen by running a couple of #netstat --inet while ie6 was running. Running the same command is a good way to make sure IE/ActiveX is talking to the Kaseya server correctly.

3. Install realvnc

We're using the default WinVNC on agents and I haven't tested this with KVNC
    (although the concept is the same).

4. # vncviewer -listen

VNC should open up local ports for incoming connections (on 127.0.0.1).

5. Start Remote Control of an agent from Kaseya

You should see some handshaking on the terminal and then the remote window
    is drawn.

TADA!

Legacy Posted By Username: justin4dti
  • justin4dti
    I wrote a little howto on how to get remote control working from Linux, and this should work from Mac (>=OSX). Why? Because smart(*ss) people only use BSD or Linux Smile Yea, watch out Winblows.

You just need to compile/install realvnc and ie6. This is done for Linux via Wine and should be less of a problem with the Mac version of IE. Let me know if this works for OSX (because I don't have one around to test):

sorry, can you please reword this for what I need to do 4 a Mac? Doesn't make much sense to me (not a linux or Mac power user).

Legacy Posted By Username: Grant Wilson
  • Install Windows inside of Parallels Desktop for Mac - you can then run Internet Explorer all you want and run the remote control all day from a MAC to other machines

• Another option to use is VMware Fusion.

Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • Hi Grant,

3. Install realvnc

This has to be working to get remote control. Maybe there's a Mac version??

B. Install IE:Mac

Microsoft EOL'd this but it should still work for OSX:

http://www.pure-mac.com/webb.html#mie

Justin

• IE for mac doesn't work - here's why ... ACTIVEX - it's a windows only thing ... so you have to run it thru an emulator WINE or the likes or it has to be run virtualized in a windows wirtualization thru VmWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop or the likes ...

• it's a windows only thing

oops. Had forgot about that. Sorry Mac Sad

Have some Wine. Smile