Kaseya Community

How to script install of KB936982 Microsoft Office 2007 SP1

• This question is similar to the "Trying to set up Maunual Patch installs" post just made by YLindsay. But my question is a little more specific.

In Kaseya Patch Management, KB936982 (Microsoft Office 2007 SP1) is listed as "Patch only available from Windows Update web site." I did a bunch of web searchibg, but could not find much specifics related to comann line paremeters. I did find one site that provided this following:

office2007sp1-kb936982-fullfile-en-us.exe /quiet
    office2007sp1-kb936982-fullfile-en-us.exe /passive
    office2007sp1-kb936982-fullfile-en-us.exe /norestart
    office2007sp1-kb936982-fullfile-en-us.exe /forcerestart

I was wondering if anyone had any experience scripting the install of KB936982 for Microsoft Office 2007 SP1, and if so, would you mind sharing your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: How to script install of KB936982 Microsoft Office 2007 SP1,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • All you need to do is execute the file with the /quiet option, like:
    c:\temp\office2007sp1-kb936982-fullfile-en-us.exe /quiet

If you want to get more automated, you may want to do the following:
    - setup shared variables for the patchdir location and set them for each client
    - setup a master script to call the following scripts
    [INDENT]- test to see if patch is needed for the current system
    - check to see if patchdir exists and then decide whether to download the patch to the patch dir or download directly from the kserver
    - Copy patch local
    - execute the patch
    - report success in the logs
    [/INDENT]

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • rwitt,

Thanks very much for the reply. A followup question...

Were you simply providing a general comment on the /quiet option (which typically applies to many installation files), or do you actually have any hands-on experience deploying the install of KB936982 for Microsoft Office 2007 SP1 via scripting.

In addition to the command line paremeters for this patch, I was also hoping some folks had some hands-on experiences with it.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Yes, that is what I use to deploy it.

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • I am pretty sure I posted a link this Technet article that was directly related to this. You will find plenty of info on different methods of how to deploy the SP1 update there.

You will want to ensure that your script closes any open Office programs such as word.exe, outlook.exe, etc. etc. Also, some anti-virus programs can slow down the update for some reason (so far it has happened to us with Kaspersky).

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue