Kaseya Community

Monitor Up/Down State of SNMP Enabled Devices

• Hello,

Would anyone be willing to share any guidance regarding the procedure for monitoring the up/down state of SNMP enabled devices discovered during a LAN watch? It sounds simple enough however I am a novice with SNMP and becoming frustrated, so I thought I would ask for help.

Many thanks.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Up/Down State of SNMP Enabled Devices,
    Legacy Posted By Username: wdonohue
  • Once you see the device through LAN Watch you can either assign an SNMP monitor set or use a quick set.

Either way the first step I usually do is go to Assign SNMP, choose the machine that is doing the LAN Watch (SNMP Monitorign) and then look at the SNMP Info column just to the right of the IP address for the target SNMP device. This will show you the MIBs that were returned from the SNMP walk.

Depending on the device you can utilize one of the sample SNMP Monitor Sets or copy and modify or create your own. In the SNMP Monitor set you assign your alarming levels. Once you have the set you want built, go back to Assign SNMP, select the device check box, your alarm actions and assign the SNMP Set.

I see in the new version the ability to create an individual SNMP set right from the SNMP Info link, but I haven't used this yet.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • Doug. Thanks for the response! Have great week.

• OK,

This is where I'm at. As I have come to understand, monitorig/alerting for an up down state is more a function of snmp network polling vs. OID data returned to MIBs. If I'm wrong and haven't driven everyone else nuts feel free to enlighten me. However, if not and someone could help me understand if the Kaseya SNMP application has the capacity to provide this data I would be apprecittive. I simply want to be alerted if a WAP, Router or other SNMP enbled device goes offlline. Should I be looking at another vendor to obtain this data instead (Cacti, Castlerock etc.)? Much gratitude for any assistance.

• Once you have SNMP monitoring working, decide which SNMP MIB you want to monitor and set the alert. If you are looking for a specific interface you should be able to monitor when it changes from up to down or probably more appropriate when a value drops below a certain amount since it probably won't return a down on less it's only one interface like the WAN side of a router than you are monitoring from the inside.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • use SNMP to monitor on SNMP MIBs like, counters, cpu percentage, fan failures..

Just ping the device using system check to perform up/down monitoring.. that what you're thinking?

Legacy Posted By Username: nickjames