Kaseya Community

Monitor web site

• I'd like to see if/how Kaseya could be used to monitor a couple of web site items:
    1. http get and expect a certain result... if it fails, then consider the web site down.
    2. login to a web site and expect a certain result.... if it fails, then consider the web site down.

I can do this with Whatsup, but I'd like to also do it with Kaseya....

Has anybody done this before?
    -Thanks - Andy

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor web site,
    Legacy Posted By Username: AndyS
  • You can test if the site responds, but I havent found a way to check for speciic responses as yet. i.e. Look for information on a page rather than just a generic 200 OK response.

It would be nice to be able to put some thresholds around the response as well. i.e. If you dont get a 200 in 500ms then consider it down etc.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • By using wget you should be able to do this by either using a script or the Custom System Check.

You could use wget to retrieve a file, either the main page on sites you don't control or a specific page on sites you do control. Return what ever you want if you use php, asp, etc.

Using either the script or Custom System Check, check for the entry in the file and create an alert, email or write to the script log.

Just a thought.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • I use a small utility from a microsoft IIS tech kit called tinyget. With the right parameters (don't recall right off) it will return like a 5 line report with the first line being either 200 OK, or 404 File Not Found, or 500 Server Error, or something like that that you can then redirect to a file to inspect for further action.

P.S. Does anyone know how to throw an alert from a script?

Greg Love
    Network Security Analyst
    Securas Consulting Group

Legacy Posted By Username: togreglove
  • Hi Greg

That sounds like an intersting utility, I will investigate.
    Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • I'm not aware of anyway to through an alert from a script directly but there are two other options. (1) You can use VBScript to generate and Application Event and monitor for this. (2) You can create custom Windows Performance Counters and write values to those.

I think a better way however is to utilize the System Check -> Custom which I beleve will let you scan the retrieved file for certain content and then generate an alert directly with a script involved at all.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • I'll have to check into the system check option further.... I'm not real strong with scripting, etc... but I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Legacy Posted By Username: AndyS
  • I really didn't use a script but you can.

I used External Monitoring->System Check

Check: Custom
    Custom Name: Check Web Site Status
    Program, Parameters, and output file: c:\bin\tinyget.exe (options) > c:\temp\status.txt
    Output file name: C:\temp\status.txt
    Alarm if output file "does not contain" 200 OK
    Other options like timing are up to you.

That was about it.

Of course if you script it, you can do cool stuff like emailing yourself the status.txt to find out the actual status, delete the temp file, etc. or just log the result to the script log and trigger an even based on that. The possibilities are endless.

Greg Love
    Network Security Analyst
    Securas Consulting Group, LLC

Legacy Posted By Username: togreglove
  • opps... wrong thread..

Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man