Kaseya Community

Block Website's

• A few clients of mine would like to block specific website access (qvc, facebook, myspace, etc) to SELECT computers. I know that I can replace the host file with kaseya and block certain websites that way, but I know there must be a better way (with or without kaseya). So lets hear it, how do you guys handle website blocking?

Legacy Forum Name: Block Website's,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Resistance2Fly
  • We use OpenDNS - sign up for an account (It's a free service) and works with both static and dynamic ip's (it does take a bit more to setup however with a dynamic ip) and then you register the network with the service and then set everyone to use their DNS Servers and voila - you have total control over what can be seen and what gets blocked - you can even customize the block message to some extent - there is even categories for blocking sites ....

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • I sell either StBernard iPrism. That is the expensive one as it's an appliance.

I also sell MXLogic Web Defense per seat to the clients that aren't big enough for an appliance.

One other solution I've heard of but never used is from DLink...not sure of the model.

I do like the categories available in the options I sell. Facebook/MySpace falls under "Social Networking" on both and right now those are the two making sales for me...so many people wasting time.

Those two, and chat. All can be blocked with either solution.

Legacy Posted By Username: syscal
  • we simply add the domains to our internal DNS server and point the www A record to our internal website. so when they try to go to say Facebook, they get our internal website.

the only draw back is that it effects all users.

If you are using SB with ISA you can specify the rules with that for individual users or groups.

Scott
    Active Itek

Legacy Posted By Username: ActiveItek
  • Like TBK said OpenDNS works great and give your clients a basic content filter with catagorys based on St.Bernard for free. Thats what we use.

God Bless,
    Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: Missing Link
  • Missing Link
    Like TBK said OpenDNS works great and give your clients a basic content filter with catagorys based on St.Bernard for free. Thats what we use.

That's given me an idea to fashion up a script to change the DNS Forwarders on my client SBS2003 Boxes to point at the OpenDNS resolvers....

Thanks guys!

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonjordan
  • jasonjordan
    That's given me an idea to fashion up a script to change the DNS Forwarders on my client SBS2003 Boxes to point at the OpenDNS resolvers....

Make sure you also make a GPO that prohibits editing network settings (see an article here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/gp/184.mspx?mfr=true). Or, if you have a FW that will do it, block all DNS queries from all IPs except for SBS. There will always be a few users who think they can outsmart IT. But if SBS is setup to forward to OpenDNS, and the users are locked to SBS as their DNS, the only way to get around this one is to tunnel all traffic through a remote host.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar