Kaseya Community

Disable the ability to close agent.

• How do I install the agent on a clients workstation so that they can not quit the agent, and they can not turn off remote control?

Legacy Forum Name: Disable the ability to close agent.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: marcbran
  • You can do this in the agent menu. It gives you the options to disable what ever you need to. I have removed the options for everything except contact administrator and refresh. I would give you the exact path but my system is offline due to a less than smooth upgrade.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gstory
  • Thats great and all. But the real issue is that the Agent runs from a Service. More often than not, Users tend to be administrators on their machines for certain pieces of software to run. Those users can simply stop or disable the service.

Legacy Posted By Username: efieric
  • Which is why you don't give them local Admin access if you want tp prevent these kind of things.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • It's not a fix, but a good workaround a use is using Group Policies to change the registry key for the KaseyaAgent service back to Automatic, then start the service. Put the following into a .REG file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\KaseyaAgent]
    "Start"=dword:00000002

Make a batch file in Group Policies (or add to login script) that will run the following:

regedit /s
    net start KaseyaAgent

That should do it.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Between people stopping the service and the service just deciding to stop on some machines, I decided to create a client side watchdog script that executes via a hidden scheduled task. Every 15 minutes the script will kick Kaseya back online. If the service is already running it will not do anything. If the service is stopped or disabled it will enable/start it. Just deploy a batch file using a kaseya script that will also create the windows scheduled task on the local machine. Since doing so, the uptime of our agents has noticably improved.

Legacy Posted By Username: daniel@l1n.com
  • daniel@l1n.com
    Between people stopping the service and the service just deciding to stop on some machines, I decided to create a client side watchdog script that executes via a hidden scheduled task. Every 15 minutes the script will kick Kaseya back online. If the service is already running it will not do anything. If the service is stopped or disabled it will enable/start it. Just deploy a batch file using a kaseya script that will also create the windows scheduled task on the local machine. Since doing so, the uptime of our agents has noticably improved.

Did you create your watchdog script that runs on the client side in VBScript? Would you mind sharing the script?

TIA.

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • boudj
    Which is why you don't give them local Admin access if you want tp prevent these kind of things.

You can't just remove users local admin rights. Unfortunately software developers typically require enterprise applications they make to run requiring Admin privileges. Half our applications won't run unless the user is an Admin on the local machine. Including our CAD, ERP, and Visual Studio software. Yes, it's stupid and I hate it. But its Windows.

Legacy Posted By Username: efieric
  • We just rebranded the agent and renamed the Kaseya service "Microsoft OLEDBSC" it has yet to be screwed with

Legacy Posted By Username: VNET
  • WE find that our users (Over 2500 agents) will not touch anything Microsoft related, they know the name and they know if they delete anything MS related that most likely something will stop working and they will get billed for our time to fix the problem.

MIND CONTROL!

Legacy Posted By Username: VNET
  • Unfortunatelty this one of those "having a cake and eating it too" situations due to Windows design flaws and/or negligence on the part of developers of applications requiring user admin privileges. Therefore it not reasonable to pin this on Kaseya, come on lets face it, anyone with local admin rights owns the machine and everything running on it, from every service to every last bit of data, if they are cunning and tech savy enough. So it seems that your choice is limited to employing "security through obscurity" techniques as mentioned in some of the replies or take away user admin rights, Kaseya cant magically fix this one for you I am afraid.

Legacy Posted By Username: ed@securemycompany.com
  • daniel@l1n.com
    Between people stopping the service and the service just deciding to stop on some machines, I decided to create a client side watchdog script that executes via a hidden scheduled task. Every 15 minutes the script will kick Kaseya back online. If the service is already running it will not do anything. If the service is stopped or disabled it will enable/start it. Just deploy a batch file using a kaseya script that will also create the windows scheduled task on the local machine. Since doing so, the uptime of our agents has noticably improved.

do you mind sharing...the biggest problem I have is my agents keeping stopping also.

Legacy Posted By Username: ITSCnorton