Kaseya Community

File Transfers

• Has anyone had a need or come up with a way to automate regular file transfers - from a specific folder on one client machine to a specific folder on another client machine?

I have a client that has need of this specific ability, and outside of setting up a backup and doing a folder copy with the remote server function I have not come up with anything else, and would prefer to not use a backup license for this if there is another way around doing it - keeping in mind that both of these sites do not have static ip addresses so anything being done would have to be done thru Kaseya in order to find each other, plus the ability to turn it on and off with a script or something in the GUI would be great ...

Essentially I want the client to be able to drop any files they want into Folder A on Computer A and they will transfer automatically without the user having to do anything to Folder A on Computer B - when the transfer is done delete the file from Folder A on Computer A and possibly notify the user at COmputer B that the transfer has been completed. Then the user at Computer B can process the file and place it in Folder B on Computer B and the reverse of above happens, moving the file to Folder B on Computer A, deleting the file from Folder B on Computer B and notifying the user on Computer A the file transfer completed.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for suggestions and sorry for being long-winded in explanation of what is needed ....

Legacy Forum Name: File Transfers,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • This works well.

http://www.allwaysync.com/

God Bless,
    Marty

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Missing Link
  • This would have the same limitations I am coming up with now - I can not set a direct path thru the internet other than through Kaseya, as neither place has a static ip ... we could get them one for each side but that defeats the idea of trying to use Kaseya to keep the costs down in the first place ... to throw another monkey wrench into the works - the data is medical information so has to be kept secure as well.

Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • Well you can do it with the Get File / Write File commands in scripting. Now unless you want to get really creative, this works best when the files are statically named. You can specify in the get file command a path to pull a file from the machine and place it anywhere on the Kserver you want. For example this path in the destination path will place the file in question in the public files section of shared files,, ../../../WebPages/ManagedFiles/VSASharedFiles/testmlms.txt ,,

You can then use the write file command and write the file to the other computer where ever you like. The you create another script that does the opposite.

God Bless,
    Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: Missing Link
  • This is pretty complicated and would take some time to write and isn't something most people would want.

If you know how to use scripting stepping through it one step at a time shouldn't be all that hard just very time consuming and would take a lot of testing.

Writing it out on paper step by step should give you a good game plan. All of the concepts are pretty simple just putting them all together seems over whelming and would take a Script or 2 to be running over and over again.

I have another idea you might want to consider, its not going to meet all the criteria you have but would make it petty easy to share files.

You could use a program called Hamachi that will create a VPN between the 2 computer. Once you do that you could created a shared folder on one of the computers that both computers would access.

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonb
  • I would suggest two very inexpensive VPN boxes (we use the Linksys RV042 for small cheap branch office VPNs).

They are about $199 each (contact me if you want some if you cant order yourself).

They setup easily, will work as site to site secure VPN and use dynamic IP's at both ends (registered through dyndns) and have firewalls in them.

They also have MIBs so can be monitored by Kaseya.

Then any sync program will work as you can go by internal names or ip numbers.

Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Shehan