Kaseya Community

Pushing Agent to Clients via GPO - Just once?

• Greetings K2 gurus,

I have been deploying K2 agents via LAN Watch and GPO recently, but I have seen with GPO (and mainly Win7 clients) that GPO continues to push the agent each time on boot up. Is there any way for the agent to be pushed once, and then if its successful not be installed or attempt to be installed again? I tried the RunOnce area of the registry but it still seemed to run every time... Smile

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: Pushing Agent to Clients via GPO - Just once?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: JTison
  • JTison
    Greetings K2 gurus,

I have been deploying K2 agents via LAN Watch and GPO recently, but I have seen with GPO (and mainly Win7 clients) that GPO continues to push the agent each time on boot up. Is there any way for the agent to be pushed once, and then if its successful not be installed or attempt to be installed again? I tried the RunOnce area of the registry but it still seemed to run every time... Smile

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

make sure that the /e switch is included in your install package and recreate the GPO via LAN Watch (this assumes that you are using the "View AD Computers" method)

/e - Exit immediately if the installer detects that an agent is already installed. Use /e at the end of logon procedures. /k or /r overrides /e.

Legacy Forum Name: IT Procedures,
    Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty
    make sure that the /e switch is included in your install package and recreate the GPO via LAN Watch (this assumes that you are using the "View AD Computers" method)

The deploy package does have that switch, but on Windows 7 / 2008 clients, there is a prompt that still asks you if you would like to run this program. I don't think XP clients have had the same issue, but I think since the GPO still runs the executable to check if its installed, that's what I am seeing.

I am looking into some kind of batch file or something to check for reg keys first before running the executable, has anyone had any experience doing something similar?

Legacy Posted By Username: JTison
  • JTison
    The deploy package does have that switch, but on Windows 7 / 2008 clients, there is a prompt that still asks you if you would like to run this program. I don't think XP clients have had the same issue, but I think since the GPO still runs the executable to check if its installed, that's what I am seeing.

I am looking into some kind of batch file or something to check for reg keys first before running the executable, has anyone had any experience doing something similar?

Yes the GPO will run the exe and that checks to see if Kaseya is already installed...

The only way that I've found to make sure that it only runs once is to check what machines have Kaseya already installed and delete the corrisponding machineName.vbs file.

the GPO goes something like this:
    Machine picksup the policy then upon reboot policy runs
    InstallKAgent.vbs (this calls)
    machineName.vbs (this calls)
    KcsSetup.exe
    From there it decides to continue or not

Policy is located in KAgentDeployment (named that by what ever creates it)
    COmputer Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Startup\Shutdown)\Startup

Just one last thing... are you doing a silent install?

EDIT: Or do those machines have UAC enabled? if so you may want to disable for a bit so that it doesnt interfere with the deployment.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty