Kaseya Community

How to document Kaseya Setup

• Hi all,

I have tackled this before but still am struggling.

How do people document their Kaseya setup - so when you add a new client do you have a list of things you have to do on that client - setup scripts / monitoring etc. Do you customise monitoring per client server depending on role or function (we have clients with individual needs to you make custom monitor sets for these clients).

Also once a client is setup do you have documents somehwere that says client A server 1 has this setup on it .

Also what medium do you use for this documentation is it word / excel - custom apps etc.

My head is puzzled with an easy way to do this without generating hours and hours of painful excel files.

Also then when you add a new script - easy to add to the servers but adding to documentation for 300 servers AHHHHHH.

Any help or guidance would be magic -

I ask because I find now that the number of agents is growing I am missing steps and also I need to get more people involved in managing the setup which obviously means documenting.

Cheers

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: How to document Kaseya Setup,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • Michael, I feel your pain. We use templates for most of our setups but we do have a problem with too many hands in the Kaseya cookie jar. Sometimes it would be easier to just let 1 or 2 people in the org to be responsible for setting up new companies but it never works that way.

I am really looking forward to K6 and the ability to really control our admins. My hope is that we can setup admins in such a way that only a few people will be able to create agents and templates. Once you have your templates 75% of your job is done. But like you mentioned there are an infinite number of server setups and workstation setups with infinite number of monitor, script and alert setups. It becomes almost impossible to create an excel or word doc to document how to setup a new company. My supervisors have been asking for something similar and I sit at my desk and ask myself "Where do I even start?" We need to hire a technical writer to do this!!! lol

Legacy Forum Name: IT Procedures,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • We are currently going through the same growing pains with Kaseya.

TITan - I believe you can already control admins creating agents and packages with the current version of Kaseya.

mmartin - As I said, we are going through the same growing pains. We sign on a new client and have to rely on memory regarding patch management, scripts, templates, etc as we have tried to document and create a template for Kaseya Setups / Adding Agents / Adding Agents once contract signed, etc etc.
    We are currently looking a PSA application that apparentely does a lot of this for us (Connect+Wise).
    We try every day to improve our proccess but nothing is fool proof - Let us know if you ever find one Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: luke.bragg
  • we facilitate the process using templates in connectwise with pre-built checklists. Each technician has to complete these items before the ticket can be closed. This includes everything from the initial roll out, followup activities, to the on-site checkups we do a few months down the road.

takes time to build up front but once you do rollouts go quick and you never lose track of the statuses of your new rollouts.

with kaseya and CW you cant lose.

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • mmartin,

We don't use ConnectWise (yet) - using our own inhouse System. We have about 1800 agenst deployed.

In my opinion, its all about templates and checklists, checklists, checklists. We have checklsists for setup and configure of new Machien Group and servers, and then another checklists for setup of machines.

As saybrook said, they can take a good amount of time to build up front, but once you do, rollouts go quicker and you don't lose track of the statuses of your new rollouts. Additionally, they are all done the same, regardless of which of your staff are working on them.

Just my 2 cents.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • We also use a combination of checklists, packages and templates.

Though we also make use of 1 "master" script for new pcs which calls a number of other scripts (e.g. to run some installs such as Adobe Reader, Flash etc.) and to add us to their trusted sites.

Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Shehan
  • Mark Shehan
    we also make use of 1 "master" script for new pcs which calls a number of other scripts (e.g. to run some installs such as Adobe Reader, Flash etc.)

Would it be possible to see these scripts, or get an overview of them? I have set up an XP CD with a winnt.sif answerfile which installs XP plus a handful of applications and I'm aware Kaseya has a few applications install scripts built it, but I am struggling to standardise or automate things further. What do you plan to do about Windows 7 installs?

Cheers
    Julian.

Legacy Posted By Username: wodger
  • We currently have connect wise templates in place but most techs ignore them.

We use Kaseya templates but it is a battle to make sure every tech uses them every time. They are good about it over all, but every week it seems there is an agent not deployed off of a template.

Our current solution is we have built a report which runs every week, that uses SQL reporting services to generate a report of all agents which do not have our approved settings. I go through once a week and fix the settings.

I also can not wait until Kaseya 6 and being able to control our techs permissions. Almost all the techs in our business are Masters because there are basic, basic! things only Masters can do.

Legacy Posted By Username: jcourtney
  • Would anyone feel comfortable sharing some of the checklists.

Thanks!

Legacy Posted By Username: rvines@axcelltech.com
  • jcourtney
    We currently have connect wise templates in place but most techs ignore them.

We use Kaseya templates but it is a battle to make sure every tech uses them every time. They are good about it over all, but every week it seems there is an agent not deployed off of a template.

Our current solution is we have built a report which runs every week, that uses SQL reporting services to generate a report of all agents which do not have our approved settings. I go through once a week and fix the settings.

I also can not wait until Kaseya 6 and being able to control our techs permissions. Almost all the techs in our business are Masters because there are basic, basic! things only Masters can do.

Would you mind sharing / explaining how your report script works. Im sure it would not be to hard but I have not used the reporting services in SQL before. I dont think there is a way in Kaseya's built in reporting to say which agent has which monitoring assigned...

Legacy Posted By Username: Joshua Lehman
  • If you do not know SQL then you will have a very hard time with Reporting services, imo. It is not as intuitive as one would think. You have to know which tables out of the hundreds or thousands that exist to pull that data from.

There is a query builder but again you have to know where to look for that info stored in the tables. I will have to get some SQL training.

Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • startup_checklist_old.pdf
    This particular topic is very close to my heart and I feel deeply for those of you who are having trouble integrating process into your Kaseya environment. As such, I will share my work in two Kaseya/ConnectWise environments. The first one failed, which has strong lessons in it and the second one is in the early stages of development.

My first post here will contain the startup checklist I developed for a client's site. They had some power outage issues and we needed a clearly planned guide to bring everything up in a stable and orderly manner.

Feel free to use this if you find it helpful. I'll post more stuff as soon as I can, and feel free to ask questions.

Legacy Posted By Username: tregas
  • I realized that I should probably take a moment to talk about actual Kaseya documentation. There are three rules which are really just one repeated over three times:

PROCESS

Its just so important that repeating it drills it in. You need to define process from the top to the bottom. Do it for everything. Here's a list of things you need to define policies which is just off the top of my head:

• Employee dress code
    • Officer hours of operation
    • Emergency call pager rotation
    • Departmental mailboxes
    • Employee roles and access rights
    • Service Level Agreements
    • IMAC procedures
    • Server deployment policies
    • Workstation deployment policies
    • Password requirements/rotation
    • Domain topology standards
    • Public network access policies
    • eWaste policies and procedures
    • Power consumption charts and worksheets
    • Licensing requirements and policiesa
    There's one in there in the middle which deserves some clarification; IMAC. That's an acronym for Install, Move, Add, Change and its an ITiL concept. In ITiL whenever you are going to do something which will affect 10 or more people, you must document the entire process BEFORE you implement, have a roll-back procedure, and have it approved by your IMAC team, typically made up of senior IT folk.

Most, if not all, of the other stuff is pretty straightforward. You just need to bear and get it done. Also, don't fall into the trap of expecting your first drafts to be final quality. You will make mistakes, forget obvious things, and somethings stuff won't work. Just keep trying and it will come together. Remember, you are the source of experience in your company. Leverage that experience.

Hope that helps!

Legacy Posted By Username: tregas
  • Hi folks,

Thanks for all the feedback on this - it is still a huge pain point for me and my company.

Would anybody out there be willing to share checklists they may have for new agent deployments or changes etc - even snippets of the checklists.

Also how people handle the day to day changes of items withing kaseya.

I find I keep getting tripped up where new agents are on board and they are missing this script or that script. Or I find suddenly some workstations are using VNC and not KVNC and they were changed by an engineer without me knowing but I have no way to track it I could lock it down but I need them to be able to change it when required but I need to know about it.

it is a minefield in my opinion but any assistance or guidance particularly from those in the ITIL world perhaps would be great.

Thanks

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • (Master) Procedure checklist(demo).xls
    Hi Michael,

we are also in the setup stage to get everything documented and put into procedures but I have attached a few documents that might help you. I am also fairly new to this and our company has employed me specifically to look after MSP.
    You DO NEED to take the time for a proper documentation otherwise it will bite you later when your company is growing.
    1 minute spent on a document is 5 minutes saved searching for it over and over again. It is painstaking in the beginning but it will pay off.

Now use the documents and modify them to your needs; they are not perfect yet as I am still collecting info.

We also have what is called a CNI (Customer Network Info) a shared folder where every tech has access to all the clients data. When setting up a new client it goes inot the doco and also into CW so that you have all info in one place.

Most importantly TRAIN your techs to sit down and document all the changes (if) they made.

Hope that helpsSmile

Al

Legacy Posted By Username: EssSTP