Kaseya Community

Remote Access- VNC or RDP

• I have been using VNC successfully to connect to my PC's and Servers. How ever at the Autotask User Convention I met a few people who use RDP rather than VNC.

What are your experiences using the VNC vs. RDP?

Which do you use, and why?

Security concerns with RDP?

Legacy Forum Name: Remote Access- VNC or RDP,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • I guess the problem I see with RDP, is based off of the Windows XP Only 2 Connections mantra.

If I try to RDP a workstation, 95% of the time I kick someone off... I find it easier to run VNC so I can get on their machine without them losing what they're doing

Legacy Forum Name: IT Procedures,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • We have found RDP seems faster.

What we do... RDP is setup or servers. VNC is setup for workstation.

Security concerns. Not really because remote control is done through kaseya and handled by kaseyas security. If you open up your firewall to allow ports for internet access to remote control, then you need to be concerned.
    We tend to trust internal traffic. But also realise that an internal threat could hack remote control and someone could get access internally.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • RDP is certainly faster and tend to use when we have clients that want to remote their machines through our system. Also use for servers when I have any amount of work today.

For client support, almost always use KVNC mainly so that we can look at the screen at the same time as the client. They can see what we are doing to fix a problem. We can see what they are doing to cause the problem.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • We use RDP on servers as there is nothing extra to be installed - I like to keep my servers as clean as possible.

VNC for workstations so I am looking at the same thing the client is - often with them on the other end of the phone. It also means I don't have to know their password. Using RDP would mean the client's screen changes to "workstation locked" - they aren't too happy when this happens! Often they will enter their password, kicking me out, and I try to log in again, kicking them out, etc. and the loop continues.

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • We normally use VNC just because we can have multiple sessions open at a time.

Though I do prefer the speed of RDP over VNC.

On the rare occasion the fact that you are connecting directly into the console with VNC can help with trouble shooting...

Legacy Posted By Username: Leadfoot
  • There is a security "concern" with some locations; if you K-VNC to servers, someone could be watching on the local end at what you're doing... while this is highly desirable on workstations (i.e. "helping end-users") it is often quite the opposite with servers. Combine that with the already-mentioned speed advantage and the fact that it doesn't require additional software to be loaded, and it's pretty overwhelmingly convincing for servers.

Workstations, of course, have to be K-VNC 99% of the time, otherwise you find yourself push-pulling with the end-user... they see the screen that says "your console has been locked" and they unlock it - bumping you off... You then reconnect, and it bumps them off. Frustration all around!

There is absolutely no need for WinVNC at all, unless you are saddled with Windows 2000 machines you still have to support (ugh).

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • Matthew Bartels

There is absolutely no need for WinVNC at all, unless you are saddled with Windows 2000 machines you still have to support (ugh).

KVNC has worked with Windows 2000 for several months now. I beleive it was included with SP1 in September.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf