Kaseya Community

Bandwidth Measurement questions?

• I'm not sure if i'm posting this question on the right forum please redirect if needed.

I have 3 sites I'm in need to find out how much data is being generated to find out if downgrading their ISP is worth it. Each site has a dedicated dual connections T1 for main internet and a separate T1 interconnecting each other sites and my objective is:

1. How much data in each LAN is generated?
    2. How much of this data is going to the dedicated T1 (vpn) as opposed to internet T1?
    3. How much data each servers is receiving/generating outbound/inbound?

Please chime in if you know of or have used any products that can do what i'm looking for.

thanks much!

Legacy Forum Name: Bandwidth Measurement questions?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: JeffD
  • Enable SNMP on the routers if you can, and set them up a VM running cacti polling the routers interface stats

Legacy Forum Name: MSP General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Nick
  • Use NTOP ( opensource )!

#####
    JeffD
    I'm not sure if i'm posting this question on the right forum please redirect if needed.

I have 3 sites I'm in need to find out how much data is being generated to find out if downgrading their ISP is worth it. Each site has a dedicated dual connections T1 for main internet and a separate T1 interconnecting each other sites and my objective is:

1. How much data in each LAN is generated?
    2. How much of this data is going to the dedicated T1 (vpn) as opposed to internet T1?
    3. How much data each servers is receiving/generating outbound/inbound?

Please chime in if you know of or have used any products that can do what i'm looking for.

thanks much!

Legacy Posted By Username: rogerio@podium.com.br
  • PRTG, perhaps? You'll have to install it on something clientside or do some fancy firewall footwork to allow SNMP just from your management location, but it'll give you prettier graphs than you can get out of Kaseya.

I'd second the cacti VM recommendation but for the fact that not every client has the resources available to set up a viable virtual infrastructure of even the barest type.

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • I agree with Nick, Cacti is your best bet, you can pull different interfaces and get historical data in graph format to show your customers too. It's not too difficult to set up either. if you want something much simpler try Mrtg (runs on linux and windows). it'll watch your interfaces for the network and give you a nice graph, but your historical data isn't available as nice as Cacti.

Recommend you set a box up in their network, snmp over the Internet could be tricky if they're tapping the max bandwidth on the line already.

I've set up both and prefer Cacti. we monitor a multiple customer rack through a single switch and single ISP and break up the bill via cacti reports for overages.

Legacy Posted By Username: darcement
  • Depends what your time's worth. If you have days for a voyage of exploration, poring over manuals every time you want to make a change, etc...

On the other hand, if you want a tool that is powerful, flexible, works well, is easy to get set up and running, and has good tech support, get PRTG. I do.

/kenw

Legacy Posted By Username: Ken Wallewein