Kaseya Community

Anyone Looking at Intronis for backup?

• Just wondering if anyone out there is looking at or using Intronis for online backup. They look good -- feature rich, channel only, fully branded, integrated management, etc. -- but need to know how they really perform.

We're using Mozy now and it's been OK but we're outgrowing it and finding something with better integration would be good.

--Tom

Legacy Forum Name: Anyone Looking at Intronis for backup?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • Kaseya is supposedly about to unveil an integrated off site backup dealio... Unfortunately like many things Kaseya I have a bad feeling it will be so expensive only Kaseya will make money on it. Hopefully they decide to do something to help their partners out and look at it as a cost of doing business, not another revenue center. If we could offer off site backups at a reasonable price through Kaseya it would be awesome because their replication app is nice, but I can't afford a T3 line to accommodate all our clients backups...

What is the pricing model for Intronis and is there any type of integration (official or scripted) with Kaseya?

Legacy Forum Name: MSP General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ccarmichael
  • Whoops forgot to mention we use Mozy to, but the interface is terrible and it takes too long to manage. If I could find somehting better I would!

Legacy Posted By Username: ccarmichael
  • We just signed with Intronis after much deliberation and review of other options out there. We too used a mix of Mozy, Asigra and Ahsay based providers and outgrew them all. The Intronis guys seem like they have their stuff together and from what I can see and hear are moving 100% channel/msp focused. Rumor is they are working on Autotask/Connectwise and even Kaseya integration but I can’t confirm that just what I hear. Since the Intronis software writes to the windows event log you can monitor with Kaseya plus the Intronis partner portal allows a quick view of all your customers. The one thing lacking right now is actual backup job logs being pulled into the portal from the client side software but that too is on the plan to happen. So right now you have to remote into the client system and review the logs for systems that report a fail or error... or you might be able to get tricky and use the Kaseya log parser to pull the info in. Just had this thought something to try this weekend!

Ryan

Legacy Posted By Username: ryanlakin
  • Ryan,

If you're still using Intronis could you give us all an update? I haven't pulled the trigger yet but my management overhead with Mozy is getting serious so I need to switch to something else soon.

Thanks!
    Tom

• Sorry for the delay - I rarely get on the boards these days.

We are cooking with gas with Intronis. So far so good. We have K setup to monitor the event logs for Success/Fail of the backups and that is working. if fail or other it opens a ticket for manual review. if success K tracks for Executive Reports. Dont have any complaints. The only thing to watch is the offsite disk usage versus your previous provider. By default Intronis sets the revisioning rules to 10... well this can use up considerable amount of offsite space that may not be necissary unless your client has a revision requirement (sox, hippa, etc). So you have to be sure to set your revision rules (we use 3 revs as our standard) and also configure the stray file removal to 30 days from the default of 60. This way if the user(s) delete a file it will fall off the offsite storage after 30 days. All is VERY configurable depending on client need but these are the only pitfalls we ran into and to be honest only because most clients may no enjoy an ever growing offsite backup fee every month.

As far as better integration i dont think it is much better than Mozy unless you use Autotask or Connectwise as they now play with both. We dont use either so no win for us there. I dont recall if Mozy writes to the windows event logs or not but Ahsay doesnt so having the ability to trigger tickets on event logs written by Intronis has been very helpful.

Ryan

• Ryan,

Thanks very much for the update. I've been busy with our ConnectWise installation and haven't had time to play with Intronis any more but am about ready to get back on that. And, yes, the ConnectWise integration is part of what I'm looking forward to. Billing for Mozy has been a PITA and I won't miss that.

--Tom

• Sequoya,

Let us know how well the ConnectWise intergration goes.

Legacy Posted By Username: darcement
  • Let me know how the integration between ConnectWise and Intronis works out for you.

From a billing standpoint my 2 cents recommendation is to charge in 10GB increments. This will give you wiggle room for overages and manage client expectations not to mention if you bill in advance then you are not having to bill in arears for overages from their base plan size each month which will generate customer questions/complaints. What we do is automatically bump up the customer to the "next" pricing tier as their usage increases. We make sure communicate this policy.

Intronis billing takes a monthly "snapshot" of your total agreegate usage and bills accordingly on that specific day. Makes life easy as offsite usage will fluctuate throughout the month depending on retention settings and other factors.

• Hey Gang,

We have recently been contacted by intronis, and have a conf call with them next week, so I will be interested in details. I didn't catch if you guys are using the acronis/kaseya backup add-on, but we have been very happy with it. Restores are great, and converting backup images to virtual machines has been a blessing.

If you have had issues, I would like to know...we have been with K for about a year now.

We are looking to load our envoirment with ESXi boxes or better yet I hear M$ is coming out with a stripped down Server 08 Core w/ Hyper V, that will out perform, but we'll see.

We are using Autotask, but thinking about switching to Connectwise...let me know your thoughts.

Legacy Posted By Username: lgarnier
  • We've been using Intronis for a few months now. The main reason we went with them was the ConnectWise integration. The initial setup was a little tricky, but once you have the product, solution, agreement and backup management configured...adding new customers is a snap.

Intronis is more expensive for us than our previous solution, but the automation it provides in CW is well worth it for us.

What I found unique about the ConnectWise integration is that each month it creates an agreement addition that starts at the beginning of the month and has a cancelled date of the end of the month. It works fine, it was just a bit confusing at first.

I should add that Intronis support has been great. We are extremely pleased with them.

Legacy Posted By Username: techie2
  • Intronis has a good product, as long as you don't mind micro-managing your backups.  Deployment is an absolute headache and is (in my opinion) not MSP friendly.  They will provide you with variables to use in your RMM tool for deployment, however the machines still have to be manually configured in the portal, which totally negates any automation.

Their product is geared toward the resale of online backup.  

-Having to set pricing schedules for each client.

-Having to set usernames and passwords on each machine's backup

-Having to manually add each machine

-Having to manually configure each machine's backup set

The above may be O.K. if you are in the business of reselling online backup.  But if you are wanting to use it as your off-site solution as part of your Managed Services package, I would look elsewhere.

In addition, when I signed up, I was assigned an account manager who was on vacation.  So I sat  around for a week, waiting for her to return.  I received snide remarks from her when I pressed for communication via email.  When I expressed my concern with the method of deployment I was met with "I respectfully disagree".

Anyway, that is my two cents about Intronis.

• Sorry to hear your experience with Intronis was bad. I have found their support to be excellent, and almost always get them on the phone. I also like that I can install their agent or remove it at any time withoout having to reboot the server in question. Their product is application aware, and does what its supposed to.