Kaseya Community

PSA's - ConnectWise vs AutoTask vs Tigerpaw vs ?

• I'm looking for feedback on PSA systems that people are using. We've looked at the demos & literature for ConnectWise, AutoTask, and now Tigerpaw. We haven't actually used any of these yet but we need to do something soon since the combination of Kaseya, SharePoint, Exchange, Outlook, and sticky-notes is running out of gas.

ConnectWise appears to be the "best" of the bunch and is also priced that way. AutoTask looks OK but I hear complaints that its integration with Kaseya is lacking. Tigerpaw looks good and is a LOT cheaper than CW but it didn't grow up in IT/MSP and some have said its architecture is a bit old-school.

I (and others on this fence) would particularly appreciate hearing from those of you who have experience with more than one of these.

Thanks much!
    --Tom

Legacy Forum Name: PSA's - ConnectWise vs AutoTask vs Tigerpaw vs ?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • Search the forum and you'll find some really good discussions regarding this very topic!

My vote is for ConnectWise. I like the product, the excellent support they provide, and the roadmap (future development) that they have.

Legacy Forum Name: MSP General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • boudj
    Search the forum and you'll find some really good discussions regarding this very topic!

My vote is for ConnectWise. I like the product, the excellent support they provide, and the roadmap (future development) that they have.

Thank you. I have looked through the forum and found a lot of good info but was hoping we might get a thread here that provides more head-to-head comparison.

ConnectWise is a lot of money but I can swing that (eventually) if it really is the right solution. If the others really can do an adequate job -- for our needs CW would be about $15k and Tigerpaw about $5k -- then I'll save the extra money to invest in other things I need. BUT, if the others really don't do the job then buying them first is just a way for me to spend more before getting ConnectWise.

• Your call, but you are letting the upfront cost sway your decision. I find CW has helped reduce my cost on the backend making it a better value for me over the last 3 years I've been using it. I could have purchased a cheaper product and gotten most of what I needed, but over the same time period I would not have been as functional (ie made as much money). So over 3 yrs is CW worth $300/mo more than TP? Do I make that much more money with CW than the other two products? I believe so.

• Hi Tom,

I have been talking to one of your guys (Richard?) on another forum about CW. I called my rep (Eric Brown) and he will be contacting your rep (Julie ???). We are running a similar shop as you guys. Less than 5 employees total, like you.

There are things that are included with CW that are not included with Tigerpaw. Like the customer portal for one. Tigerpaw relies on a third party for that. A quick googlin' shows about 3 vendors. So keep in mind that both companies have add-ons that they charge for.

In fact, when speaking to my rep at Connectwise (Eric Brown), he told me that they just signed on a new client who forwarded them their final TigerPaw quote. Surprisingly, after all was said and done with the third party add-ons, CW ended up being cheaper than TigerPaw.

Anyway, I am pretty sure you will be getting another call from Connectwise. Maybe they can smooth out the deal they made you. I hope that they aren't as aggressive as some of Kaseya's competitors...coughleveplatformscough.

We demo'd all three. Tigerpaw was a quick demo at a MSP Alliance conferenec in Boston, and to be honest we weren't all that impressed with the software. The Tigerpaw girls however....that's another story Big Smile. Tigerpaw felt like a regular CRM package which is now all of a sudden a PSA package. Which....it is/was. Autotask was ok, but we didn't like being shoehorned into a Hosted solution. We liked the choices of CW, even though we choose...the hosted solution. Knowing that we can switch at any time is nice.

Don't let cost get in the way too much. Kaseya costs more than their competitors, yet here you are. Wink

Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • boudj
    Your call, but you are letting the upfront cost sway your decision. ...

Not at all. I came into this thinking CW was the only way to go. Tigerpaw looks so much cheaper that I have to do some diligence here and check it out.

I've always believed that saving too much costs more than spending too much. If you spend a little too much then you lose a little. If you spend too little then you lose it all. Wink

--Tom

• Damn!!! That sounds like woman logic!

• We have used CW for about 5 years now. We have very happy with it. Our only issues are truely getting management on board 100% and enforcing the use of it fully but that has nothing to do with CW but rather internal managment.

One thing to note. CW's PSA founder, Arnie Bellini is committed to your business. I have had many interactions with Arnie since I am in the same city, he runs an excellent company and one that is forward thinking. I know enough about CW to know that I would work there in a heartbeat.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • CeruleanBlue

I have been talking to one of your guys (Richard?) on another forum about CW. I called my rep (Eric Brown) and he will be contacting your rep (Julie ???). We are running a similar shop as you guys. Less than 5 employees total, like you.

Thanks very much for all the info you've given my guy, Nate. Hopefully, we start to get down to some real numbers from both ConnectWise and Tigerpaw.

I think the thing I'm still trying to get at, is how important the differences between Tigerpaw and ConnectWise are. I also think that Tigerpaw is a changing target. Another forum member, richie3333, is thrilled with Tigerpaw and says that there has been quite a bit of new work in the product -- web portal is now in-house not 3rd party, 2-way Kaseya API link.

I do get it that ConnectWise is "the one". If, in fact, the cost difference is reasonable (or negative) then ConnectWise is the way we'll go. However, if Tigerpaw is functionally 80% of ConnectWise and the cost difference remains $5k vs $15k? Well, I'd be foolish not to think long & hard about the value of that.

--Tom

• sequoya
    Thanks very much for all the info you've given my guy, Nate. Hopefully, we start to get down to some real numbers from both ConnectWise and Tigerpaw.

I think the thing I'm still trying to get at, is how important the differences between Tigerpaw and ConnectWise are. I also think that Tigerpaw is a changing target. Another forum member, richie3333, is thrilled with Tigerpaw and says that there has been quite a bit of new work in the product -- web portal is now in-house not 3rd party, 2-way Kaseya API link.

I do get it that ConnectWise is "the one". If, in fact, the cost difference is reasonable (or negative) then ConnectWise is the way we'll go. However, if Tigerpaw is functionally 80% of ConnectWise and the cost difference remains $5k vs $15k? Well, I'd be foolish not to think long & hard about the value of that.

--Tom

I wouldn't go as far to say that Connectwise is "the one". We try to keep ourselves ready to jump ship with any vendor (Kaseya included!) at a moments notice. Sometimes companies start to go down a path that we either can't follow, or one that we don't feel is right. It wouldn't be easy, but our fingers are always hovering on the cancel button. Every time one of the major vendors release a new version (big release that is) we try to immediately sign up for a demo. Staying on top of the game is important to us. That is our advantage over our local competitors.

While CW + Kaseya might be the top dogs now, things can easily change. Quick. Imagine Autotask or Tigerpaw purchasing one of Kaseya's competitors, then integrating it right into the software (true single console) without raising their price...at all. Meanwhile at the same time, Kaseya continues working on their Service Desk module to combat that, and Connectwise is left with a high priced PSA solution that offers zero management capabilities. Who becomes "the one" in that situation would change.

The current landscape / trends are for companies to buy and assimilate. Google does it, Microsoft does it, Dell does it, even companies like eBay do it. To think that our industry is any different is just silly. One of these PSA vendors WILL merge/buy/get bought buy one of the MSP management vendors.

In using Connectwise, you can tell that they used Kaseya for their main management tool. However things are slowly changing. For one Connectwise still uses their own plugin on your Kaseya server instead of Kaseya's own built in API. This means that alot of the two-way integration that Connectwise has with the other vendors is missing. And, there is no word on when they will be using Kaseya's API. Connectwise goes down a notch in our book because of that.

Autotask and Tigerpaw on the other hand DO use Kaseya's built in API. So there is much more that both of those programs can do in regards to communicating back and forth with Kaseya. So +1 notch to them.

Now in regards to the 80% functionality, yeah we'd think long and hard at the differences. And we in fact did. If that missing 20% has a business impact of more than the difference in the software, then it will be a poor choice. Since, we are both using Kaseya...let's use them as an example. They integrate Acronis and AVG (BU/DR and KES) right into the software as modules. As far as I know, none of their competitors do that (well, one does have a branded backup solution) yet. 20% can make a world of difference depending on where that 20% comes from.

If anything, the best suggestion I have for you is to sign up and actually use all the top 3 PSA vendors (and some of the lesser known ones as well). Use what you are comfortable with.

It seems us Connectwise users are just really verbal about our choices. I guess the same could be said for Kaseya users as well. I would love for some Autotask users to speak up here....

• I have tested all 3 products. I recently ventured back into Connectwise and compared against my current version of TP. There were big differences. Many CW guys are not familiar with TP or have seen an old version of TP. I do not have Kaseya 2 way integration yet and I am also using 3rd party portals and I am very happy with TP. This weekend I plan to implement 2 way integration with Kaseya. I saw the portal part of TP today which is now internal. It is awesome. I do all my quoting, Invoicing, reporting, Marketing, etc from TP. It is integrated with my Peachtree accounting pacakge so there is no duplicate data entry. My Invoicing is done in less than 10 minutes including contracted and uncontracted clients. I am very glad I selected TP. Money was not a concern at all, infact I purchased Connectwise first. They gave me a hrd time installing it on Xen instead of VMWare so I dumped them. I even ventured back to review CW after a year of using TP because I was reading so many compliments of CW in the forum. When I compared to what I have in TP with what CW offers, I am getting more from TP at lesss than half the cost. Customer support is VERY good, in fact Option #1 when you call them is Tech Support not sales. They are also very flexible with customized reports. My experience is not from a brief demo, I have done a through CW demo as well as Autotask demo.

I am sure CW guys are going to attack me on this post but I would strongly suggest you do a detailed demo of TP and CW. Compare features in both systems and then make a decision. This is the biggest decision you will have to make. It is very hard to change PSA later once it is implemented.

Good Luck!

Legacy Posted By Username: richie3333
  • richie3333

I am sure CW guys are going to attack me on this post but I would strongly suggest you do a detailed demo of TP and CW. Compare features in both systems and then make a decision. This is the biggest decision you will have to make. It is very hard to change PSA later once it is implemented.

Good Luck!

No one will attack you for your business choices here. What is good for us or works for us might not be the best choice for everyone or anyone for that matter.

Getting a lengthy hands-on demo of all the choices out there is the only way to make a informed business decision. Especially one such as this. Get past the sales guys for a few weeks and get some hands on experience with all the software choices. While they all pretty much accomplish the same job, they all do in very different ways.

I will admit the last time I saw Tigerpaw was around May last year, it came on one of those tiny cds. I don't know the version of what it was and if I can't locate the disk. The last press release that I can find that has states a version number is this one for 10.7 back in December. I would assume that they are beyond that by now, as it makes no mention of the built in customer portal.

This means that I didn't see the following when we demo'd it:

[quote=tigerpawsoftware.com]
    NEW 10.7 Features:

Quote Imports - [snip]
    Advanced Technician Dispatch Board - [snip]
    Personalized Proposals - [snip]
    Updated Credit Card Security - [snip]
    NEW PRODUCT: Real-Time Microsoft Exchange Server Integration** - [snip]
    NEW PRODUCT: Networkfleet GPS Tracking** - [snip]
    NEW PRODUCT: Advanced Managed Services Integration** - (Currently available only to Level Platform users) [snip]
    NEW PRODUCT: Tigerpaw Managed Services Agreements and Billing** - (Currently available only to Level Platform users) [snip]

** Available at an additional fee
    [/quote]

richie, are you using any of these new features? Exchange Integration? Are the Managed Services Agreements/Billing available for something other that LPI users? What about the Advanced Managed Services Integration?

We finally choose Connectwise at the end of June, about a month after we demo'd Tigerpaw. At the time, even though Tigerpaw was significantly cheaper, they were seriously lacking in areas that CW already had. Our original demo for Connectwise was Sept '07, so you can see we took our sweet ass time making a decision. Our transition from break/fix to managed services was also during Sept/Oct '07 so we had a major change in business focus. Around Jan/Feb, we even built a server for an on-premises CW server then flaked out and went back to demoing other PSA solutions. When we finally choose CW, we then went with the hosted version....go figure Stick out tongue. (coincidentally, being locked into a hosted version was one of the issues we had against Autotask...)

Anyway, run everything through a fine toothed comb and demo for as long as you can stand it. Try to envision where your business will be in a year/2/3. Are you planning on expanding? Outsourcing where you can instead of hiring additional people?

Also don't forget to look into future solutions, like the Service Desk and Agreement module that Kaseya plans on releasing this year. Time is ticking for them. That roadmap has a TON of stuff in there and we are already T-10 months to 2010. The user conference is in May and I would bet (speculate) that they at least want a usable beta for as much of that stuff as possible (including the new VSA and gui interface) by then.