Kaseya Community

Active Directory Password Management

• I know nothing about scripting except that it sames lots of time when
    performing the same tasks regularly. I've been assigned what seems like a
    gargantuan task. I need to find a script that can change user account
    passwords. I've tried the sample script from the microsoft website, and tried modifying it with zero success.
    My team is part of an outsourced IT company. 
    We create user accounts on each server for our techs. When one of our techs leaves the company, we currently have to log onto each server and reset the password for that tech account. We use Kaseya to manage our servers.
    I need to find a script that can do this. Logging onto 100 servers to change a password is extremely time consuming. I would appreciate any help!
    Thank you in advance[code]

Legacy Forum Name: Active Directory Password Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rshrimpton
  • Haven't tested it but won't Kaseya password reset option do this already?

Legacy Forum Name: Script Requests,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Why can't you use the set password option under remote control?

Legacy Posted By Username: rvines
  • Are all the 100 servers in different active directory domains? If they are all in a single AD tree changing the password on one domain controller will propogate that change to all the others, meaning you only have to change it once.

A quick search of google with the words "script change domain password" returns some potentially useful results.

Legacy Posted By Username: plenfestey
  • The password change through kaseya will work on a domain as long as you do it on a DC. Just type in the name of the account and the new password.

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • I didn't realize that would work on a DC. I thought it only worked on "local" accounts.

What happens if you use that tool to CREATE a new account? What if the "as Administrator" box is checked?

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • I too thought it only worked on local accounts. This works like a charm! Thank you everyone.

• kentschu wrote:
    I didn't realize that would work on a DC. I thought it only worked on "local" accounts.

What happens if you use that tool to CREATE a new account? What if the "as Administrator" box is checked?

It will create the user and make them a member of the builtin Administrators group. I would not suggest using this method to create accounts since it does not allow you to put in First name, Last name, exchange mailboxes, etc, etc.

But, it does create the account at its simplest level which is for logon to the domain. It works fine on password resets however.

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • When I use this option to do 1 password reset, it works fine. If I try to do it on 2 or more domain controllers (all for different domains), it fails. We monitor about 50 domain controllers, and doing password resets this way is still WAY easier than logging onto the servers, but is there something I need to do to get this working for multiple servers at the same time?

• scripts.zip
    Here's a script I have created that deletes an account from all domain controllers and another that creates account on all domain controllers.

Legacy Posted By Username: richie3333
  • I'd like to know the answer to rshrimpton's question as well.

Trying to do this via a VB script is not a good method. It is dangerous to allow a script to add or delete accounts because one small error could have disaterous impacts. Plus, various servers have different security settings that may or may not allow the script to run successfully.

The password reset within Kaseya would be the simplest and most elegant solution if it can be done against multiple servers at once.

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • I just tried using the Kaseya reset password feature and it worked fine for different domains simultaneously.

• This is what I get when I try more than 1 - I have no idea what needs to be changed to be successful.

Error Type:
    Microsoft JScript runtime (0x-7ff5ec76)
    Function expected
    C:\KASEYA\WEBPAGES\HELPDESKTAB\../inc/maskData.inc, line 48

• Browser Type:
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; InfoPath.2)

• Time:
      Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:16:23 PM

• I'm brand new to Kaseya we just bought our license. I don't see this password reset script in my sample script list. Is there another collection I need to download and import?

Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: orangeneo
  • Its not a script it is afunction built into Kaseya under Remote Control Tab -> Reset Password.