Kaseya Community

Single script that works regardless of location without major bandwidth usage

• Currently I have two scripts for most software installations. One that usesthe client's local server to storethe installation files and another for laptops and other stand alonesystems that downloads the installation files locally. I'd like to consolidate theseintoone script that works regardless of the systems current location. However, I don't want to kill my bandwidth in doing so. Has anyone else already solved thisor be interested in collobrating to do so?

Legacy Forum Name: Single script that works regardless of location without major bandwidth usage,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • I'm not too sure what you mean about 'bandwidth friendly', if a file need to be gotten remotely, it will always use X bytes to move it, there's no way of changing that?

If you want to pull from local location when your local, here is one possible scenario:

Maybe you can set a managed variable per site that contains the name of the file server (probably needed for your per site scripts anyway)

Do something like a ping to that address in a script and output the result into a text file. Use an if to see if the file contains a 'reply from' or '(0% loss)', the 'then' branch will then execute your local script.

The 'Else' will run a script that pulls the file from a web location instead, so use wget or curl to pull the file from your Kaseya server or another web server where you are hosting the files, or use the kaseya 'write file' command to put the files down. TheWrite File command uses the Kaseya transfer method which then allows you to set the Bandwidth Throttle under the Agent->Check-in Control fuction.

Legacy Forum Name: Script Requests,
    Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • I'm just trying to use my bandwidth efficently. Yes, I host my KServer in house. Therefore avoiding downloading files from my KServer when it's possible to get them elsewhere (i.e. Microsoft, APC, Symantec, Trend Micro, etc.). However, does anyone have a method of only downloading the file if it has changed? A recent example, Microsoft's Office Compatiblity Pack is 27MB. It must be downloaded to each site with a server and to each remote system for installation. The total bandwidth adds up.

Many of my Kaseya scripts would be much easier with multi-level if option.

Legacy Forum Name: Script Requests,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex