Kaseya Community

KES Pricing

• How do you feel about KES Pricing?
    If I look at a renewal for 500 Symantec Corp Edition SAV licenses it will cost me $8 a year with KES I am looking at 250% more.

lets compare 500 Seats over 3 yers with purchase of a new license for SAV
    SAV Corp Edition $ 39.11
    KES $ 57.6

That is 47% over the cost of SAV.
    With the initial 30% deal things look a little better but still skewed in the wrong direction. because you have to front the money all in the first 12 month rather then pay over 2 years
    SAV Corp Edition $ 39.11
    KES 30% $ 40.32

What is your oppinion?

Legacy Forum Name: KES Pricing,
    Legacy Posted By Username: matt
  • I agree - i'm not happy with the pricing either, but I went ahead and bought it due to the added value of it being an integrated solution.

I wish that they would give discounts on renewals!

Of course you are getting antimalware with kes - does sav have that?

Legacy Forum Name: Partner to Partner,
    Legacy Posted By Username: expertcomp
  • We're not happy with the pricing either and we're not sure whether we'll purchase it or not. We already use AVG as a manged anti-virus solution using AVG's central console. And we've built simple scripts to deploy AVG from Kaseya.

We can buy AVG licenses in smaller quantities and at lower cost, so it's a tough justification simply to get the extra integration. And when a customer of our is a school or non-profit, then we can get them AVG licenses even cheaper.

I know that Kaseya wants to profit from the new module but I think they are making too much on it. Not sure if we'll buy it or not.

Matt,

I'm surprised that you can get SAV for $8/year. We hate SAV for various reasons so we've never quoted 500 seats but I was under the distinct impression that SAV was much higher priced than AVG. Are you sure you're pricing is correct and for regular business (not education or non-profit)?

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • Ditto.

250 licenses of KES would end up costing me effectively around $315 a month (including the $1,500 downpayment). If I'm charging $6 per machine for that, I'd have to sell at least 53 workstations just to cover my costs. Yes, the remaining 200 or so are basically gravy at that point, but that's quite a few licenses to have to sell to not LOSE money every month.

Especially since one particular client already has AVG with about a year left on it so I'm not sure if they'd really want to shell out money to replace something they've already paid for. And my biggest client is a university department and gets SAV for free. Yeah, not really managed (the university controls the updates), but free is still free.

Unfortunately, Kaseya gives me just TODAY to try to decide.

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • Yeah, we already own a few hundred AVG licenses that don't expire until the end of November. So that just makes it harder. But the real dilemma for us is that the standard pricing seems unreasonably high. The "special offer" price is just barely fair.

If Kaseya is smart, they'll re-think their pricing and turn their "special discount" pricing into their "standard" pricing. The special discount is decent and if that were the going forward pricing, we'd probably just go with it.

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • I think it's too cost prohibitive to sell. We primarily use Kaspersky and a renewal for a customer was $524 (our cost is25% off that)for 38 workstations and 2 servers, including Exhange protection. The same licenses w/o Exchange (40 total) with KES are $960 (our cost). Makes it impossible to see as the integration is not worth DOUBLE the cost. I can justify paying some premium, but not double.

I can't see us selling this unless the price gets more in-line with the competition.

Legacy Posted By Username: mierwins
  • There is another issue with the pricing that I had a lively discussion about with my sales rep.

We know what the price is today with and without the discount. But when it comes time to renew that license, assuming I don't have licenses sitting in "inventory", I have no assurances from Kaseya that the price is the same.

Given their current practice of raising prices we can assume the renewal is going to be more.

So, if I'm charging some fixed monthly fee for the seat and my renewal price goes higher than that fixed fee I'm in the hole.

The only assurance my sales rep could offer on this point was some nebulous possiblity that Kaseya will have special offers in the future I could take advantage of.

The more I read and the more I see the problems (like KES finding RAdmin as a virus with no way to exclude an individual file) with the product I'm not sure I'm willing to commit at this time. It's just not a good enough deal.

And I also not real big on being strong armed into making a decision like this with less than a week to test it out. Yeah they'll give me my money back at the end of July if I decide to cancel but in the meantime I'm out a large sum of cash for those 30 days.

I'm starting to lean toward the idea (mentioned elsewhere) of licensing AVG and setting up my own central admin hub in our data center.

Legacy Posted By Username: misolutions
  • expertcomp wrote:
    I agree - i'm not happy with the pricing either, but I went ahead and bought it due to the added value of it being an integrated solution.

I wish that they would give discounts on renewals!

Of course you are getting antimalware with kes - does sav have that?

Yes Anti Spyware is part of SAV

• kentschu wrote:
    Matt,

I'm surprised that you can get SAV for $8/year. We hate SAV for various reasons so we've never quoted 500 seats but I was under the distinct impression that SAV was much higher priced than AVG. Are you sure you're pricing is correct and for regular business (not education or non-profit)?

8 $ is the renewal if you have a license (our cost)

• Sad
    I feel the same has everyone here. Why are we paying a maintenance fee. we pay the fee so the product can be developed and updates anget the support we need when we have issues, oh and also so they can come out with add-ons to make more money off us the MSP’s partners. So I agree the cost for the endpoint and backup solutions are out of control.

Legacy Posted By Username: itopsr
  • Hi itopsr

With all due respect I disagree with you on several points. You should ask your clients that have LOB apps what they are paying for annual support/upgrades for their software. The numbers tend to vary from 12 to 25%. So Kaseya is not out of line in their maintenance pricing.

As far as your comment "...only see that Kaseya is concern with there [sic] profit and not the MSP's..." Uh.... yeah... that would be absolutely correct.

Are you not concerned with the profit of your company? You don'tcare about the profit of your clients and you should not. Your client's profit is your client's resposibility not yours. Are you willing to lower your prices because your client is not making enough/any profit on whatever they do? I doubt it. This also goes for Kayesa, they are responsible for their profit and not your profit. The profit is none of your concern unless you are an owner/investor.

I may or may not agree with Kayesa's "profit" (and keep in mind that we don't know how profitable or not profitable Kaseya is) and if I don't like their pricing, I certainly dont have to purchase their maintance.

You also knew when you purchased Kaseya what the out year's mainteance cost would be.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • I agree with just about everyone here. I have been with Kaseya since before there was a backup add-on and even before there was a Managed Services Addition. I was always told in the beginning that the maintenance was so we could get updates and new features and patches to the program. It is a lie lie though. ANY really good significant feature update is sold in terms of an add-on that you have to pay a lot of money for and pay for maintenance costs. It is very frustrating.

Legacy Posted By Username: toddbn
  • I believe that Kaseya is following the correct path (personally). As long as the additional feature add-ons thatthey offer are packaged in a way that we can in-turn sell to our client's as an additional service, it is a win/win.

I do feel that the KES pricing is much too high. Even though, we still moved forward with our1000 KES purchase at the end of June. So far we have sold serveral client's into KES, but several others are making us go througha lot of paces (discussions, presentations, etc) to justify why our solution costs more than what they already have. As soon as that happens - all the profits we would make from KES on those clients is lost because it just takes too much effort to sell.

Also you have to consider the technical issues with rolling out KES too. Other products will automatically un-install any existing Anti-virus product before installing. This saves us A LOT of time. With KES you have to find a time when a users is not using their computer, login to it, un-install whatever AV they currently have installed, reboot, run a baseline audit, install KES, reboot, and then update KES. The amount of time it takes to roll out KES is costly and is pretty much sucking our profits out of the solution.

But it's important to be fair, this is still just a 1.0 product. We knew these difficulties before purchasing KES and we still went forward. This is because Kaseya so far has always come through for us, and we have a lot of faith that they will work out all these issues. Yes, right now the profitability of selling KES to our clients is not where we want it to be, but we believe it will be soon.

To get back to my opening point, I like the path that Kaseya is going with things but I would like them to keep a sharp focus on the MSP costs so that it makes these modules as something we can sell and make a margin. The costs isn't just the price we pay, but it is also things like easy installation/migration, supportability, marketability, etc. Like for KES I believe when they thought the average company pays $60/computer/year for anti-virus. This is flat out not true. Most pay around $8-$12 from what we have seen. $60 is what CONSUMERS pay for anti-virus. Little mistakes in price positioning like that can cause a lot of havoc.

Thats just my 2c.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • toddbn wrote:
    I was always told in the beginning that the maintenance was so we could get updates and new features and patches to the program. It is a lie lie though. ANY really good significant feature update is sold in terms of an add-on that you have to pay a lot of money for and pay for maintenance costs. It is very frustrating.

Based on the fact Kaseya licenses technology from other companies (Acronis and Grisoft currently). I don't see how they could roll the add-ons in to the standard Kaseya product maintenance. They must pass the costs on or they would only lose money and be unable to continue developement and support of the existing product.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Yeah, one of the things that Kaseya USED to seem to "get" and something that they don't seem to anymore is that we can't charge our clients whatever we want. We have to charge our clients what they'll PAY.

Kaseya also seems to miss the point that even at their own conference earlier this year, industry best practices indicates that the tool cost should be NO MORE than 10% of the billing rate. What that means is that if you're charging your clients $25, the tool cost should be no more than $2.50 per machine. If you're charging $100, then the tool cost should be no more than $10 per machine.

Are there clients that will pay on the high end of that? Sure. But not that many. Likely not enough to sustain the kind of sales that Kaseya wants all the while telling us to go after those high dollar clients.

The industry is changing and things are getting cheaper. Look at a company like Zenith (and I'm not saying anything other than their pricing)... they're offering not only the monitoring and included antispyware and antivirus but also the LABOR to manage it all for about what Kaseya is charging just for the tools. N-Able (which used to be a lot more than Kaseya) is now about the same but with far more tools included. LPI has always been cheaper on larger networks but now they've been dropping pricing and they're coming out less than Kaseya these days.

Of course, it isn't just about who's the cheapest - but if you can get the job done with something that costs less, why wouldn't you want to keep that money YOURSELF?

Legacy Posted By Username: warever