Kaseya Community

Spam filtering

• Is anyone offering this, and how are they doing it, I have a client that does not want to move to exchange at all, and they would like some form of Spam filtering. Is it included in KES and will it support POP accounts.

Legacy Forum Name: Spam filtering,
    Legacy Posted By Username: NuMoJo
  • NuMoJo wrote:
    Is anyone offering this, and how are they doing it, I have a client that does not want to move to exchange at all, and they would like some form of Spam filtering. Is it included in KES and will it support POP accounts.

No anti-spam in KES.

All of our client's have an email server and we sell them Postini.

-Farzon

Legacy Forum Name: Partner to Partner,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • DAMN, all my clients a cheap. they don't want to host their own e-mail server. so I guess I will keep looking for a solution

• Most decent spam filtering solutions require a server that you have full control of your mail server settings. Even if you can get a fronting based spam solution to work, it won't be very effective since you can't limit accepting messages from just the spam filtering companies TCP/IP range or addresses. POP accounts = cheap = PITA and no flexiblity. I use a lot of SBS.The standard edition of SBS is $600 retail. If they don't want to pay that, then tell them they'll be dealing with SPAM forever. I think they'll reconsider it.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • I understand that, but I am talking about a company that is really cheap, there are still a ton of windows 98 and 95 boxes in the company, I refused to support them for the company. but there have got to be other companies out there like that. They are going to be dropped when I can afford to drop them, but right now, I need the clients so I do what I can

• I know you asked about spam filtering in this post but I think there is something else to consider regarding this client.

Their cheap and a PITA. How much of your time are they costing you? Time you could be spending marketing your business and getting better clients.

It might be a better idea to drop them now which will free up your time to get new business.

As for spam filtering, we use SpamTrap (http://spamtrap.us). They have a reseller program with no minimum buys (unlike Postini). It works great. You do need to have access to the MX records so you can direct mail through thier filters.

We charge $10/domain name and $3/mailbox per month. The clients love it! It helps to lock them into our service and we make a little bit of profit on it.

Give Dan Reid a call at 1-877-459-6709, tell him Dave sent you, he'll take good care of you.

Legacy Posted By Username: misolutions
  • You should take a look at an outsourced solution or adesktop product.

One of the best outsourced solutions is OnlyMyEmail, refer link below.

http://www.onlymyemail.com/home

You will have to convince your clients to pay a per email account setup fee for you to get it setup, & an ongoing monthly usage fee.

2 of the best desktop products are MailFrontier & Cloudmark. These integrate into Outlook or Outlook Express, & will also work in an Outlook / Exchange environment.

If you use a desktop product,you will have to convince your clients to pay a per desktop fee to cover the purchase/setup cost, & if you want a monthly management fee for you to support it.

Cheers, Ian

Legacy Posted By Username: TechOnline
  • Take a look at AppRiver. They do incoming and outgoing spam filtering as well as hosted Exchange. This what we use. It works great and also acts as a mail queue in the event their local server or internet has issues.

You can also try Own Web Now. The offer a similar set of services.

Legacy Posted By Username: cvttech
  • We re-sell Postini branded to us. Works great.

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • I have tried many.

I prefer Challenge/Response over Filtered (programmer vs. programmer (Spy vs Spy)).

Best desktop Challenge/Response program I've found so far is ChoiceMail from Digiportal.com. It POP's user mail and then allows your Outlook/OE client to POP it. It only allows approved addresses (and those you email) through and sends unknown addresses a question to prove they are a real person and not a spam server. They answer and are added automatically to your approved list,you can block them after. Simple and efficent. Only draw backs areif your dealing with prospects and new customers who email you first, they might be put off by the challenge. Also it is possible for your challenge to end up in their spam/junk folder.

The best Filter program I have found is actually a service. SpamStopsHere.com. You redirect the whole domain byMX record to them, then they redirect the cleaned mail to your hosting company or email server. I get a few spams a day, but after close examination of the bit bucket I have never caught them deleting 1 good email (false positives).

Rick@ccs

Legacy Posted By Username: ccsrick
  • SpamStopsHere rocks. The chance of a false positive is extremely low, so I have all spam returned to sender with a custom bounce-back message ("if you are trying to send a legitimate e-mail, please call the office to report the problem"). I don't give clients the option of viewing the quarantine, as it would just be a waste of their time.

Legacy Posted By Username: David_Schrag