Kaseya Community

IRC Channel

• The IRC channel is a great idea but to get more people to participate you should make an announcement in the general forums and not just channel partners Red Faced

Legacy Forum Name: Partner to Partner,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • Gamer-X wrote:

I forgot the name of the person I was talkin to in IRC earlier.... but he brought up a good observation. He said the channel needs to be registered. I do not proclaim to be an expert in IRC, does Jason need to register this channel?

Gamer-X

That was me Smile The benefit of registering the channel is that you (or we) control who can use it. The drawback is users have to be added before they can join. We may or may not want to be that restrictive...

--arthur

Legacy Posted By Username: arthur
  • arthur wrote:
    Gamer-X wrote:

I forgot the name of the person I was talkin to in IRC earlier.... but he brought up a good observation. He said the channel needs to be registered. I do not proclaim to be an expert in IRC, does Jason need to register this channel?

Gamer-X

That was me Smile The benefit of registering the channel is that you (or we) control who can use it. The drawback is users have to be added before they can join. We may or may not want to be that restrictive...

--arthur

It's been MANY years, but I used to manage many IRC channels. It's an environment that must be managed carefully or you get people shying off from going in.

I suggest making a few non-power tripper people OP's. These people should be able to commit to spending a lot of time in the channel. Their primary job will be to kick out spammers (non Kaseya people). Also, they could set the channel topic; this is useful.

Also, you should let anyone connect to the channel. Registration shouldn't be required. If you require registration the channel will be a non-starter.

Just my 2c

Legacy Posted By Username: far182

• Also, you should let anyone connect to the channel. Registration shouldn't be required. If you require registration the channel will be a non-starter.

Just my 2c

I was looking at irc.oz.org, and it doesn't look to me like if you register the channel that you can let anyone join. Don't you have to actually add users before they can join? And if anyone can join, i'm not sure what the benefit of registering the channel is...

Also, i find it strange that there are 7 users in the channel now, but no one has ops Smile

--acorn

• The Operator thing is a problem. 8-)

I was logged in at Work and Home and hoped it would be enough but clearly not!

That said, the channel is marked +s so it's a secret channel.

That means anyone can join if they know its there. But they don't as it doesn't appear in channel listings. This usually stops spammers, troublemakers and general riff-raff.

If the channel really takes off we can sort the Op issue out but for now I don't think there's any rush - we're all grown ups and we only know the channel exists because we use this forum!

I'll make an announcement in the public forums later today.

Cheers, Jason

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonjordan
  • I tried posting an IRC announcement into General Information, but apparently I don't have the necessary rights to create a new topic.

Can someone else give it a go?

We now have a bot to manage the channel so things should be cool.

Cheers, Jason

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonjordan
  • There has been talk in the channel about switching IRC servers/networks, as oz.org doesn't allow bots or file servers. Some are wanting a file server set up to provide Kaseya scripts directly through the IRC channel. If we decide to move the channel, I have suggested irc.blitzed.org.

I'd like to know how everyone else feels about this, especially Jason, whos great idea this was to start with. Personally, I'm fine with it either way, although I think if we decide to stick with irc.oz.org, we should definitely follow their rules.

--acorn

• Firstly; sry for not being "online" as in beeing there talking to all of you who are there.
    I am a IRC user, which means I am there all the time but often AFK. And the only time I am not there is when I am rebooting Wink

I have a server suggestion:
    irc.quakenet.org
    Its very big, very well managed, I know the bot system (easy to get a bot for auto-op, auto-voice and so on), you can have a spam-bot.
    All these features are already in the system and provided by the QuakeNet.org IRC NetWork.
    I am always there on that net and I know how to manage it. Its pretty big and should have servers in the US aswell as Europe and Asia (if they haven't puleld the plug on them...)

This way we can start off with one bot for channel control. And then we add out own bots.

The only catch is that if you don't have trust (trusted host) you won't be able to connect with more than 5 clients from the same IP/domain.

Legacy Posted By Username: SobriuS
  • So, I take it that's 1 "vote" to move? You suggestion for server sounds fine to me

I think we should probably get this settled before making any announcements in the public forums, too..

--acorn

• I'm for whatever gets us the best options and flexibility.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • ill go with the FLOW

Smile
    Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • Jason, we still haven't heard from you about switching servers. I think most people either would like to or don't care, but I'd like your opinion on it since you started this Smile

-acorn

• IF we switch servers, make sure everyone who started in the channel are moved first and bot or something is constantly online with op status =)

Just tell us when and where if we do move Wink

/CTCP TIME Gamer-X

• I agree, although it doesn't look like there's much interest either way Stick out tongue

It's been good, though, the few of us who ARE there are having some good conversations Smile

--acorn

• maybe if we go out with the information that there is a channel and that many of us (hopefully) will be there, it will draw more people.

Just a thought.