Kaseya Community

IRC Channel

• Hi Everyone,

As a giant geek at heart, I spend a lot of time in IRC interacting with other techies.

Which led me to wonder if there would be any value in a Kseya IRC Channel?

If you're interested in chatting with other Kaseya Partners, join irc.oz.org #kaseya

I'll see you there.

Jason

Legacy Forum Name: IRC Channel,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jasonjordan
  • I will join up there asap. I hope that you have some bot up for the main order of the channel. Don't want to be there with no ops.

Legacy Forum Name: Partner to Partner,
    Legacy Posted By Username: SobriuS
  • Heading there now.

Legacy Posted By Username: rditech
  • Lurking in there now... No one's got ops Stick out tongue

Legacy Posted By Username: arthur
  • Im hangin out in here for a few hrs to see if anyone shows

mIRC........... did someone say FLASHBACK?

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • Imported Empty Post

• BitchX, if you want to talk flashback Wink

Anyways, yeah, it would be really cool if this IRC thing would take off a little. Really nice to be able to chat live to other kaseya users.

• you got some flash back stories for me Arthur....? Or are you still in one...?

Smile
    Gamer-X

• I haven't used IRC for a while. Any recommendations ona free IRC client. I'd like something with basic options and no installation required would be nice too.

Thanks.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • The way I do the "no installation required" is to host my chat client on a server that is on the public internet. In my case, I use BitchX for linux. When I want to chat i just ssh (using free SSH client) to the server, and start BitchX, which is text-based, not graphical. Since i'm always using it on the same server, my chat logs are always in the same place, no matter what computer i'm sitting at.

You could do the same thing with a graphical windows client like mIRC if you had access to Remote Desktop or VNC to an always-on windows server.

Off-hand, i don't know of any IRC clients that don't need to be installed (on windows), but, have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IRC_clients

• I like this IRC idea, thanks, Jason.

Maybe we should all post our timezones in here?

Central (North America, Chicago, GMT -6)

• my Time Zone

Central (North America, Chicago, GMT -6)

I do not know of a client that does not require an install. I use mIRC. I purchased a copy years ago.. er um decades ago, and still have it.

There are a few if you google it. I am sure they all contain the same basic functionality. I do not know about Bitchx. I use linux as little as possible, although I am hearing great things about umbutu... or however you spell it.

I forgot the name of the person I was talkin to in IRC earlier.... but he brought up a good observation. He said the channel needs to be registered. I do not proclaim to be an expert in IRC, does Jason need to register this channel?

Gamer-X

• I'm at GMT+8 which makes me the opposite to the bulk of you!

Never mind - there's value in joining the channel and lurking. Don't just leave if there is no activity. It needs to hit a critical mass.

Besides, if you lurk and a conversation took place while you were asleep - you can still get hints and tips from it!

Cheers, Jason

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonjordan
  • I used mIRC when it was donate if youwant. Now it's required.I haven'treally used IRC in about 10 years.

I'm in GMT+5 timezone

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • well then =D I think I might be among the youngest ones in here then as most of you are talking about the history of mIRC and so on Wink I've been IRC'ing since 2001 and been using it widely when playing online FPS games.

IRC clients for windows:
    - mIRC ( http://www.mirc.com ), the only client I actually can recommend. I have tried several others but you could always use Miranda-im aswell.

From the miranda page:
    Miranda IM is a smaller, faster, easier instant messenger with support for multiple protocols. Miranda IM is designed to be resource efficient and easy to use while still providing many features including support for AIM, Jabber, ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo, and more. Supplemented by hundreds of plugins and other content, Miranda IM is very flexible
    Get it from here: http://www.miranda-im.org

Clients for *NIX boxes:
    - IRSSI ( http://www.irssi.org )
    - BitchX
    and so on and so on. Wink
    I myself use mIRC on my win box and IRSSI on my Debian box. Go in there with a SSH client.

Oh, btw. Timezone is Seden, Stockholm, GMT +1

Legacy Posted By Username: SobriuS