Kaseya Community

MSP Antivirus & Security Programs

• We are in the process ov evaluating Trend & F-Secure's MSP programs. Has anyone enrolled in either? It seems that F-Secure has a major leg up over Trend. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Legacy Forum Name: MSP Antivirus & Security Programs,
    Legacy Posted By Username: elong0003
  • We looked at F-Secure. Their policy manager interface makes it easy to manage AV systems in distributed locations. We decided against F-Secure due to the fact that it doesn't run in safe mode. What's your opinion of the Trend Micro solution?

Legacy Forum Name: Partner to Partner,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cleach2637
  • They just don't have it together. The product line they offer is unclear, and the licensing is administered via a master reseller. Also, their tech people have no idea how it works. As of now, there is not a desktop client offering. They couldn't answer how we are supposed to protect the desktop.

• I was planning to roll my own version of F-Secure's service by installing a policy manager at my shop and then using it to manage agents over the Internet. I decided against it because it I had too many problems using the software on my own computer. Lots of issues with resource utilization, and an over-agressive firewall that disabled a lot of legitimate network functions and presented a lot of needless alerts. I'm sure eventually I would have found the pefect set of settings that would have made it all work smoothly, but F-Secure offered very little in terms of guidance or technical documentation on how to configure things properly. I'm very disappointed because the policy manager was exactly what I was looking for.

Legacy Posted By Username: David_Schrag
  • We have gone ahead with F-Secure. I'll keep you updated on the results. As for the firewall issue, we built an msi with that option disabled for our business clients, since they are protected at the border by a hardware firewall in most cases.

• I will give F-Secure credit for trying. I e-mailed my sales rep and told him I'd had such trouble getting the product to work right in my environment that I couldn't use it at clients. He e-mailed me right back and arranged for me to get a phone call later this week from a support engineer who may be able to show me how to configure it properly. So maybe I'll end up with them after all.

• Lets see how it goes. If you want to compare notes off list let me know.

• I have identified at least two problems with F-Secure in my environment.

1) There was some bug/flaw in the Mobile firewall setting level that was preventing proper operation of Outlook and perhaps other programs. If I switched the firewall setting to Office or Home, that problem was resolved.

2) If I leave real-time scanning enabled while my online backup program (iBackup) runs, then the real-time scanning process starts to use nearly 100% of CPU. The backup process, which normally takes 6 or 7 minutes, takes 6 or 7 hours instead, and the system becomes unusable until real-time scanning is disabled. I have submitted this issue to iBackup support and they may or may not be working on it. I am waiting for the F-Secure tech who gave me the training to come back from vacation.

And then there was yesterday's announced flaw in the entire F-Secure product line ...

But I'm still hopeful I can get this to work because I haven't found anything comparable to the policy manager on the market.

• Guys Just posted a OpenSource Solution on the Forums:

http://www.kaseya.com/kforum/view_topic.php?id=1723&forum_id=12

You might check it out.

Legacy Posted By Username: sourceminer
  • I have had a lot of experience with both Trend and F-Secure. I will admit F-Secure can be a real bear to get setup making the up front cost seem like a killer. The MSP Program at F-Secure is much like the SPLA offering from Microsoft. Trend Micro's downfall is the cost of looking like a jackass everytime you install it at a client's office and it takes 2 or 3 hours becuase it blows up, and then breaks again if you try to update to the latest service pack. F-Secure when configured properly works fantastic. I would recommend spending the time setting it up and fine tuning it in your own office prior to deployment with a client, once it is done you will look like Pro's every time as you can simply open up their firewall and remote deploy to their entire network. Also in the MSP program with F-Secure there is an option to give the software to the client for up to 6 months free (Discount direct from F-Secure) to break the cost of switching if they are still finishing up a term with their current AV product.

Legacy Posted By Username: nfoxqci