Kaseya Community

WIndows XP deployment

• Does anyone have instructions or a best practice to install winXP to a new system through kaseya. The new system has no bootable os installed. Need to get the system to talk to kaseya and then push out the winXP install and execute the install.

Thanks

Legacy Forum Name: WIndows XP deployment,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bryan_ssd
  • Yes ... I know the problem. We had one of these programs before. You will have the PXE boot have a look at your server. From there ... ( i'm blank also ). Perhaps in some new versions the will install it.

Legacy Forum Name: Software Deployment,
    Legacy Posted By Username: daemenict
  • http://www.kaseya.com/kforum/view_topic.php?id=189&forum_id=11

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • I sure this method would not be able to be done because Kaseya agent itself need computer to be login to AD for it to work. A computer without any OS would be totally no connection to the server.. so that's means the kaseya agent would not able toplay it role.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcbong
  • Perhaps give it a try?

• Does Kaseya havea PXE Boot Agent or some sort of 'boot' disk similar to what Altiris has?

Altiris Bookworks Agent will reboot a machine, install their own DOS base bootup files that then connects to the server and downloads the image.

I guess we can use RIS (Remote Installation Service) on Windows to do the PXE imaging and have the Kaseya Agent already installed on that image, so after it's imaged, it would then connect back on the Kaseya Server.

However, RIS requires user intervention so the process won't be fully automated.

Thanks,

Binh

Legacy Posted By Username: binh.tang
  • My thoughts is to Create a bootable image using the Kaseya backup. In the image, Windows loaded bare bone with NO other apps. Then using kaseya to send the ISO to the remote and have someone boot that.

Once loaded, use Kaseya to package and load on desired packages or scripts to run installers.

Legacy Posted By Username: nvo
  • nvo wrote:
    My thoughts is to Create a bootable image using the Kaseya backup. In the image, Windows loaded bare bone with NO other apps. Then using kaseya to send the ISO to the remote and have someone boot that.

Once loaded, use Kaseya to package and load on desired packages or scripts to run installers.

Nvo,

That would involve user interaction right? Example, putting a bootable CD?

How it works in Altiris is the same steps as you mentioned. You would create a barebone, 'vanilla' install of the OS with drivers etc. Additional applications can then be installed as a Kaseya package and additiional user specific configurationcan be done through login scripts. This means software updates can be repackaged quickly without the need of reinstalling or updating the OS image.

The added advantage of Altiris is that reimaging a machine involves NO user interaction. Kick off the reimage and it will reboot into the network using PXE Boot, download the image and image the machine.

For a fully managed services situtation, this is what you want. The days of carrying around bootable cd to boot a computer to image a machine a gone. *yeh*.

• Right, Well with no OS, you have to get a bootable image. You can create one in kaseya. Burn that and install it. So yes it requires someone to be there. Though, once booted, you can get package or an image from kaseya, or just push through packages.

Legacy Posted By Username: nvo
  • Ok.

I hope that Kaseya can make use of PXE Network Book instead. It just means you canrestart the computer, boot itto the network using PXE, download a DOS boot image into the RAM Disk (for example) from the server, then kick off the installation of Windows without the need of having someone there to put in a bootable cd.

I was in an organisation with Altiris. If a problem took more than 30 mins to solve/fix, we would get them to logon to another machine (with roaming profile, everything was already set up) then rebuild the computer from Altiris. It would finish in 20 mins, drop the various application packages and inanother 10mins, they can log back in using that same machine again. No user interaction required.

I would really like to see that in Kaseya as that would be a great feature to have.

• PXE is it's own system, and lives completly outside of Kaseya and can be used by any system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

What Altiris have done is to customise a PXE startup routine to connect to a Altris server and download an image and install it.

With the release of Universal Restore in the latest (4.8) version of Kaseya you can use Kaseya's BUDR to do the same thing. Basically you will need to create a customised PXE to launch the acronis installer with the options to pick up and install the necessary image. I've been told by others that thisis not too hard to do but I've never found time to test myself. If anyone out there has played with this scenario please post your findings.

If you want to just re-image machines as in your second scenario, this can be done using the current version of kaseya BUDR competly unattended. We provide the option to install the Acronis boot-loader called SecureZone which is also based on PXE. This will allow you to choose any previous image and have it automatically restored to a machine at boot time completly remotely and unattended.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

(It's worth noting that although this is a very handy feature of Altiris, I imagine it's notthe right answer forMSP's, who, are not going to want to setup complex Altiris installson every customer site just to roll out to ahandful ofmachines?)

• Ray,

I'm going to disagree a bit or at least add some caveats that you failed to mention.

Keep in mind that restoring an image using Kaseya/Acronis is not as simple if the image was not made from that same machine. You need a SysPrep'd image and then need to update it with appropriate information once restored. (Or you need a separate tool such as Acronis' Snap Deploy.)

Without modifying the SID and other identifiers, it's not as easy to rollout a cloned image to new machines (or to machines that need to be fixed).

And the aspect of Altiris that Bing mentionedto deploy application packages is also much different and sophisticated. Kaseya/Acronis does not have the ability to "drop" application packages. Either it is installed in the existing image backup or it isn't. And you need to be careful of license key usage for applications as well. In larger companies (such as those that typically use Altiris), they have volume license agreements so there is no need to have unique keys for each system. But in smaller environments, each machine should have its own license key.

We are trying to find ways to deploy images and applications quickly and easily. Kaseya only does a small piece and lacks a lot of stuff to really make this successful. We're evaluating Snap Deploy, ScriptLogic Desktop Authority, and some other tools as well as roaming profiles to try to accomplish this objective.

If others have had any real success in automating these processes, please share what you've learned.

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • Ray, can you post any information on how to create a PXE image from the contents of the Universal Restore ISO? I'm assuming that's what we have to do at this point, as that's about the only Acronis code that we have direct access to.

Legacy Posted By Username: mastermindpro