Kaseya Community

SPECIAL Treatment for MSP's

• Hey all,

by now you know me for my rants....
    Hopefully some of you know its also because I care, and I want to do good while here on the earth, especially with my customers and my business.
    (My mean streak is reserved for idiots and fools. I have no time or patience for either.)

I would like to see some PERKS for MSP's using Kaseya. THATS IT.

MSP's buy a lot of licenses....... I know I have and I plan to buy more............. with a little help from Kaseya.

I would like to put it to a vote as well.
    If you are not an MSP.... do us a favor... don't post here.

I would like to see a special version of Kaseya for MSP's that removes the damn branding, copyrighting, and all labeling with the name "Kaseya" in it.
    I know that Kaseya makes fun of this....They say, "its the best product everyone does not want anyone else to know about."

You know what... thats true.
    I do not want to lose anymore sales to Kaseya through their branding. I am building a business here, and if I am going to pony up the bucks, and "marry" this company, I think I deserve some things in return.

so I want to address the rebranding problem from another angle. Kaseya, I hope you read this and take it to heart.

I have lost 2 decent sized sales in the last 6 months partially to your branding. I do not know if you picked up the client or not. I do not want to know. I am still ILL about it. I will always be ILL about it. It will happen again. I take the ultimate blame for losing the opportunities...Kaseya you did not lose the sale for me directly.... but your damn footer could not have made it much harder.

FREE advertisement.... go to the source.......................
    That is all the rage these days. go to the source...................

I do not want to be a middle man. I do not want to resell your product. That is not my business model. I personally think its an awful idea, but maybe some like it... it is only my opinion.

back to the topic
    I think MSP's should be able to utilize an agnostic product from you. We are buying big licenses, and trying to come back and buy more.... I know I am. I will for that matter. I will double in size this year despite your footer and bitmap... but... I would already be there....NOW... without those things present.

Has the footer and a bitmap lost you a deal Mr. MSP....I really want to know. I cannot be the only one out there, and I cannot imagine that everyone is viewing it as o well.... its the cost of doing business with Kaseya.....

Am I crazy..................? Maybe I suck at selling....?

I wish you would explain your reasoning for the branding portion of your software offering in a MSP environment. I cannot fathom how you can justify it. You are getting extra sales for yourself, and we are missing out on growth opportunities.
    Not a good plan anymore.

I would like to see the branding eliminated in a MSP version of Kaseya...................
    Can we have a dialogue on that one?

Gamer-X

Legacy Forum Name: SPECIAL Treatment for MSP's,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • While I've never lost a deal due to Kaseya branding (we don't have too many customers who log into our KServer to even see the "Powered by Kaseya"), I understand the benefits to an MSP if the branding was eliminated.

However, I also have to wonder, hiding the branding is one thing. But what do you say when a customer asks what tools are you using, did you write it yourself, what technology are you using, etc.? Do you simply say "none of your business" or are you forthcoming and tell them what you use? Or do you use technobabble to try and keep your secret sauce hidden?

Or maybe it's a game of hide and seek. Keep it hidden until the customer wises up and asks the question and then you come clean?

Just playing devil's advocate. I wouldn't mind if the Kaseya branding was totally removed, but it's not as critical an issue for us as it is for some, apparently.

Legacy Forum Name: Sales and Marketing,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • vplaza wrote:
    While I've never lost a deal due to Kaseya branding (we don't have too many customers who log into our KServer to even see the "Powered by Kaseya"), I understand the benefits to an MSP if the branding was eliminated.

However, I also have to wonder, hiding the branding is one thing. But what do you say when a customer asks what tools are you using, did you write it yourself, what technology are you using, etc.? Do you simply say "none of your business" or are you forthcoming and tell them what you use? Or do you use technobabble to try and keep your secret sauce hidden?

Or maybe it's a game of hide and seek. Keep it hidden until the customer wises up and asks the question and then you come clean?

Just playing devil's advocate. I wouldn't mind if the Kaseya branding was totally removed, but it's not as critical an issue for us as it is for some, apparently.

That's EXACTLY my reaction. If the only value you are bringing to the customer is your knowledge that Kaseya exists ...

Legacy Posted By Username: David_Schrag
  • I agree with vplaza.If an MSP is doing his job (not saying your not gamer-x, you know that I am not a flamer from the hundreds of posts I make) a client would get so much more from an MSP than of they purchased Kaseya themselves. Look at it this way, client A leaves and buys Kaseya for themselves. Now, they have to learn the system, host the system, and man the system. All of this add up to more dollars spent then if they just had an MSP provide the service. Not counting they would have blinder disease. Blinder disease infects nearly ever company that has their own IT department. This disease blinds them from emerging threats and other issues that they may have to deal with since they only see and deal with their own Ft.Knox protected equipment. Were as an MSP sees it coming from a mile away since they deal with multiple clients in multiple environments with multiple configurations. Add the fact that when you have your own IT department you have to train them, then like any "good" IT guy, he finds a better job and leaves and the company is stuck training another guy. An MSP is a company, it Joe Q tech leaves the MSP, the client does not suffer since the MSP has other people that are familiar (at least should be) with that client.

Sorry for the log run, just been thinking about this lately.

Spread the good word,

Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • morning guys,
    A agree with you all. I do not intend to hide the framework, and claim it as my own creation, but if not asked.... hey im not telling either.

I know that these people I lost the sales to.. ultimately made the wrong choice, for the reasons that you have listed below.

Sometimes that is not's enough. If company with an IT department, sees Kaseya or any MSP for that matter typically not always as a threat to their personal jobs.
    True or flase... thats the way they think... you all know this.... you have all dealt with those types. "my sandbox".

I would like the Kaseya branding lifted, period.
    The reasons are simple reasons...

1. I do not want to send anyone to Kaseya accidently
    2. I want to drive them to me
    3. I want them to rely on me and my expertise.

It is just tougher when a guy looking for an edge now discovers that
    there is a tool like Kaseya out there... and blammo......
    no more deal.
    It is far easier to sell a service with a unique position in the market.

The uniqueness comes partially from the branding not being evident.

In today's market IT companies are right sizing, and sometimes finding Kaseya, is the answer they were looking for to save their jobs.....

I hate being the bringer of good news at my expense.
    It is not my job to educate the client as to the choices available for MSP management.

Smile

on the note about lots of options out there for the compaines to choose from.
    You would be surprised how many people in IT do not know that a product like Kaseya even exists.
    They do not know how to properly research on the internet....
    and that is fine by me. That equals a better customer for me.

case in point.
    The 500 user client that I am working hard on right now....
    HUGE company in terms of dollar revenues per year.
    Pretty big IT dept. too... they even write their own software.

Guess what they were going to select as their help desk tool.....
    aw come on.... guess...

logmein.
    and nothing more.

The very Idea of educating these guys to the existence of MSP type software makes me nervous to say the least. They can easily say... thanks for the information. We appreciate it.

Now, my ace in the hole is that fact that the owner and president has known me for over a decade, (close friend) and has already commmitted to cutting IT staff and utilizing the product...... NO, IT does not know that yet....

In the future, I see this as a hinderance.... not a help.

I guess that is what I am really trying to say.
    If it was not there... the branding.... I would get more sales.... period.

Thanks for your input guys... Smile

Gamer-X

• and the whole point of this topic was to see if any of you had similar concerns, and if you too had lost a sale to a company partially based upon the fact that they found out about Kaseya.. did their homework... and for better or worse... kicked you to the curb.

thats all.

Have a great day.

Gamer-X

• Ihave not lost a sale. I amin favor of having a method to re-brand theKaseya software withyour own logos and such. I think the main reason I've never lost a sale is the market placeI workin. I only support SMB clients.Mostdon't know about Kaseya. Most probably wouldn't buy the Kaseyaproduct directly due to costs. And only afew may have the staff to fully understand andutilize Kaseya or a product like it. But I definitely see thebranding issue asa majorproblem, if I was catering to largercompanies like Gamer-X.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • But I definitely see thebranding issue asa majorproblem, if I was catering to largercompanies like Gamer-X.

I agree that it could be an issue, but again, only to a certain extent. For some reason, the thought of a simple "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding the tools that you use isn't one that sits too well with me. Here's why:

Let's say I have a big customer who bought into what I do. Throughout the sale process, they never asked what I used. They sign the deal. After some time into the contract, the customer is really impressed and asks, hey, what do you use? Do I say what I use or be evasive? If I say what I use, or if one of their geeky IT guys figures it out on his own, now what?

If I now have an irate customer who is locked into a deal, but knows what I now use to manage his stuff, do I tell him "well, you didn't ask what I used BEFORE you signed, so tough luck."? Maybe it's worth it to throw the dice and hope that they never ask or find out on their own. Maybe that's why I want to eliminate all traces of what I use. I suppose it's better to keep them in the dark first so that I can win the deal and just hope and pray that they don't find out what I use. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Or, perhaps I should be forthcoming and tell them what I do, how I do it, explain the value that I bring, etc. Because if the only value I bring is that I have a secret weapon that really isn't much of a secret and is generally available to the public, then maybe I'm not bringing value to that customer.

Again, playing devil's advocate, but I guess it's not that big of a deal to me because of how we operate.

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • vplaza wrote:
    Again, playing devil's advocate, but I guess it's not that big of a deal to me because of how we operate.

As I've said several times now, I see Kaseya as a framework.A framework, or foundation, to build on. Ultimately, you make it in to what you need or desire. Hiding theframeworknamedoesn't preventsomeonefrom findingKaseya orsimilar product. They know the features your offering and I'm sure they know your not the only company to offer this. A few internet searches will find several MSP relatedproduct and software offerings. I believe those who don't extend the framework are just pushing a product. Thesewill be the firstcompanies to be pushed out of the MSP market.You have to change as the market changes. You have to bring more then a product to the client if you want to close deals.How areyou going to stand out if your pitching only the base product functions in your sales attempts?

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Kaseya is just a tool. If I find a better tool for running my business (by helping others run theirs), I'll switch, if Kaseya can't add functionality etc to match or better it. I'm not going to hang around and wait for long, just because I've invested a big chunk of change in this. Having said that - I can't see myself leaving for another tool, because Kaseya is very quick to resolve issues, add features and value-adds as well as things like this forum.

I think that my target space is

If you're dealing with a customer that sees the product and goes behind your back and buys the product anyway - do you really want to deal with that sort of client? Or, you've got to work on your sales processes, so that if they are big enough to go out and purchase Kaseya on their own, that they've still got to build the content, train staff, pay for and retain staff and it will cost them as much, if not more, to do it themselves.

BTW gamerx - nice way to bias a poll's with the options available. Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony Michaud
  • I have to throw this in for everyone to appreciate.

We don't lose clients, period. In 7 years there were 2 and they were so crappy it was a Godsend. Anyway, we lost another a couple weeks ago just when we started with Kaseya. It was another Gold Partner(dare I say their name - Blue Wave Computing in Marietta, GA) who touts GA Tech grads and MS certified techs and their lead tech had a Phd and were charging $2000 a month to manage their network and include no onsite support or remote support, just management. As I was walking them through their setup in the transition I asked what product they used (figuring Kaseya, LEvel, etc) and they said What's UP by Ipswitch. Ok, this is a $250 app and the client was running SBS2003 which has 10 times better reporting and managing!!! I was floored and just about bent over laughing my A$$ off but held back.

Well, net result........after a month of no email or backups (nice "management", eh?) they called me up and begged to take them back. I was gracious and did so but not after rebuilding their server b/c they hosed it THAT BADLY. Like when Server Manager is void of data such as users, computers, backup, etc and ISA was obliterated (to say it mildly). I spend NY weekend backing up, rebuilding from scratch, and restoring data and then rejoining everything and enjoyed the fat almost $10k I could only thank Blue Wave for the additional revenue.

So, I have learned that Gold Partner is something that may not mean a lot (we are Gold ourselves), and that "managed services" means different things to different people.

Ok, soapbox time....we are about to signup for the MSP University (Advanced level) as we have actually been doing these procedures for several years and can tell you from being an MSP but not knowing I was one (we didn't use that moniker several years ago) that there is NO OTHER WAY. We have boasted 30+% growth every year (37% this year) and we do not do ANY advertising. How? We actually demand referrals and our clientele allows for great referrals. I STRONGLY suggest looking into the MSP University for the newbies. For instance, we install all our SBS servers the SAME exact way, same name, same IP scheme, setup, hardware, etc. We do everything else the SAME way. Why? Find a way that works and duplicate success, don't re-invent the wheel. When you hire techs you train them on ONE setup and they can handle all your clients. Put all your client's CD s/w on the X: drive so techs know that is where to go for installing things. Put a tech's login and password on all your servers (the same they have on their laptop) and then with PTA they can access all network resources when at ANY client and not have to change anything. We have ISA at most of our clients and can use our laptops anywhere b/c ISA is set to SERVER and each server is called SERVER. Why the heck do techs want to call a server clientname-DC?? Anyone can call and when they ask for the server name, just say SERVER. We can print to any client's printer if we need to by utilizing PTA. STANDARDIZE STANDARDIZE STANDARDIZE STANDARDIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: mmancini
  • Amen to Standardize.

Spread the Good Word,

Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • I have to disagree here....I have attached my logo to the header in the customization of Kaseya, yet every time I login to the server, the Kaseya logo is present at the top, until after I login. Every attempt I've made to hide that gets reversed in the next update.

To add to that, anytime I send a client to /gethelp.asp the Kaseya logo is always present, regardless of my personal settings within the system.

PLEASE NOTE: The ONLY peice of branding in the product that you can't remove is the 'Powered by Kaseya logo', only visible inside the product. Thats it, everything else is removable, it's just a question of how...

I stil haven't figured out how to keep my logo present on the header bar at the top. As for the "powered by Kaseya" at the bottom, I would like to remove that as well, but its not as important to me as the logo on top.

Legacy Posted By Username: nachnet
  • You guys Kill me........ Smile

I agree with all that you ALL have said over and over.

But I fear that some of you are missing the point.
    I view Kaseya as a tool... a framework... not " The Secret Weapon ".

The point however is a simple one........

Anything given away, is a trade secret problem period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not ask you where you got the car that you are selling me at such a low price. If I was buying suits at a suit party... (god knows why I would be there), but....I do not tell you WHERE I get my suits from.

If I am buying anything, and I ask the store ower... "Hey, whos your source for that product?" what is he gonna say.......? " oh, I get everything at 90% off from this little vendor on 3rd street." HELL NO! unless he is an IDIOT!

There are plenty of companies that would happily find out that you utilize Kaseya, and happily cut you out, present, future....... does not matter.

You guys state in here that ... "well you really did not need that guy." YOU ARE RIGHT THERE TOO...
    BUT..........
    if the guy had never seen any branding.... there would have only been an additional sale....and sales on top of sales on top of sales etc..........
    I have a customer......... Capitalism.... remember Capitalism....?

PERIOD!

You have to remember, small business, medium business, big business,

IT guys are looking for ways to look good in front of the boss. IF Kaseya is a way for them to keep their jobs... they will exploit it.

I never hide the fact that I am utilizing Kaseya. But I do not necessarily openly discuss that fact either. Why on earth would I tell you the location of the "Gold Vein" that I am mining....? INSANITY.

Now, If a customer asks I note that I am using both proprietary and non-proprietary tools and systems. Thats about it. I do not say, here is the exact combination of "oils that I crisp my french fries in"

It is none of their business.

As long as I provide the services that I am contracted to do, and I do it with skill and tact, my job is done.

I want the branding off because I can more easily protect ALL my trade secrets.... if Iwas to call them that....they are not trade secrets but the opportunity cost is HIGH in this business. You have to remember that too.

something I have not even brought up in this discussion until now is the defection rate of IT professionals out of our companies and into business for themselves.

There are trade secrets in this business. They may only be a google click away, but to most people, that might as well be SATURN. I freely educate, but not at the sake of my revenue stream. Smile I want to go upstream. NO LATERAL MOVEMENTS here guys.

p.s.
    Stop think of yourselves as mere mortals... that have the same knowledge as everyone else....... YOU ARE ALL SUPERHEROES!!!! IT SUPERHEROES.

You know more than most....and you should be rewarded for it. Smile

" I hear my own personal superhero theme music playing in the background right now "

Gamer-X

• nachnet wrote:
    I have to disagree here....I have attached my logo to the header in the customization of Kaseya, yet every time I login to the server, the Kaseya logo is present at the top, until after I login. Every attempt I've made to hide that gets reversed in the next update.I stil haven't figured out how to keep my logo present on the header bar at the top. As for the "powered by Kaseya" at the bottom, I would like to remove that as well, but its not as important to me as the logo on top.

The internal and 'external' logo are each done seperatly, but both are customisable. Check out the online help, or run through the Kaseya e-learning center to see how.

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber