Kaseya Community

VNC to Vista

• I haven't found a response but is there a reason why VNC isn't available as a remote control method to Vista PC's? Terminal Services is the only option available for Vista.

Quite frankly TS stinks as a remote method as it logs off the user and you log in. The user is unable to view your changes making training impossible.

Any idea when this will become available?

Legacy Forum Name: VNC to Vista,
    Legacy Posted By Username: extremejm
  • Hi

i checked with VNC and it has been Vista capable for some time

so come on Kaseya when are you going to make headway on this.

Legacy Forum Name: Technical Issues,
    Legacy Posted By Username: graham lyle
  • Still no Answer from Kaseya?

Legacy Posted By Username: Jonathan
  • No, their answer at the conference wasn't too convincing either. At the rate things aregoing, they'll have RAdmin Vista capable before WinVNC.

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • vplaza wrote:
    No, their answer at the conference wasn't too convincing either. At the rate things aregoing, they'll have RAdmin Vista capable before WinVNC.

What was the answer?

gordon

Legacy Posted By Username: gordonc
  • They gave no definite date, only that they're working on it. At least they gave time frames for the KSM, but it was disappointing that they couldn't do teh same for VNC.

• vplaza wrote:
    They gave no definite date, only that they're working on it. At least they gave time frames for the KSM, but it was disappointing that they couldn't do teh same for VNC.

Well what do you want? We didn't pay that much for Kaseya.... ... ...

• Disable VISTA UAC.zip
    Good Morning all,

In an attempt to offer a solution to your VISTA compat probs...

Here is what I would do for the time being.

1. Disable UAC
    2. REBOOT
    3. Install Kaseya

I have attached a .reg file and also converted it to an .exe for your use.

Basically all you have to do is put this up on a webpage....like dl.asp for example.

A set of steps for Vista installation would look something like this..

1. click and " Run " this file first
    2. Reboot Computer
    3. Come back to this site.... I suppose you could add a "run once" to go back to your site again....so they dont have to go back there again....(I will put this in a different posting)
    2. Click here to install Kaseya

BOO YA........ VNC works.....

This is what we are doing...and it works.... If you don't think this is a proper solution... hey....... don't use it.

UAC is going to be a prob with ALL programs on VISTA... I do not understand the negativity regarding Vista, Kaseya, and WinVNC. The only issue we have had is an installation issue. If UAC is on.... you gots issues....With UAC off, then installation.... it has worked EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Behold.......... my magnanimous SELF.

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • Nice job Gamer-X! With that post I have a few questions.

1) Disable the UAC? Have you found a particular security policy that could be disabled instead of the whole thing? Just curious.

2) After installation of Kaseya, it recognizes the machine as a VNC capable machine and not a stupid RDesktop? (i.e. just like every XP machine in Kaseya)

XJM

• answer to 1. Yes... BUT...
    Yes you can change it in the policy... and yes that does work.

But until Kaseya announced at the show that you could do that....remotely ( in a coming version) I did not really consider it an option ... since you had to basically go onsite anyway to do it.... but yes you can control UAC in a policy LOCAL or Group.

Answer to 2. I blew away my Vista install to do some experiments with Ubuntu.... I will reinstall Vista later today and write down and doc the entire process.

then I can post a well thought out complete answer.
    LIKE ANYTHING I DO IS WELL THOUGHT OUT!!! LMAO

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • KSM?

gordon

Legacy Posted By Username: gordonc
  • Their Anti-virus solution.

• The Vista-compatible VNC client for Kaseya will be released in 4.7.1, which is due out shortly (per the conference information, about a month). Also included in 4.7.1 is the retry capability for BUDR.

I know Kaseya has been testingthe VNCin-house forat least a few weeks.

HTH

Frank Hughes

SecureMyCompany, Inc.

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • Thanks for clarifying, Frank. I didn't hear them say officially that it was going to be part of 4.7.1, but if so, then that's good news.

Good talking to you at the conference.

Vince

• I think that was announced to the room at the "after-conference" API breakout session, so many may of missed it.

It was strange at the conference because it seemed like they were announcing new features and release timelines, but at the sametime we all felt like it was 'previledged information' that shouldn't be dicussed with one another.

Frank Hughes

SecureMyCompany, Inc.

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa