Kaseya Community

Problem with Remote control on Vista workstations

• I am having a problem with Remote control on Vista workstations. When I install the 4.7 agent on a vista box the only remote control option I have is terminal server. I cannot set the type to vnc or any other option. The check box next to the agent is grayed out. Thanks Erik

Legacy Forum Name: Problem with Remote control on Vista workstations,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Techelp
  • VNC and Radmin have not yet released production clients for 3rd party use on Vista. Obviously without the respective companies providing a tool, it is not possible for Kaseya to support them. We will endeavour to support them as soon as they become available and supportable on Vista.

Legacy Forum Name: Technical Issues,
    Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • Hasn't the issue been fixed in VNC 4.2.8?

http://www.realvnc.com/products/personal/4.2/release-notes.html

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • We are starting to see more and more new systems come into our clients with Vista pre-installed.

We normally use Video Streaming in Kaseya to remotely install everything (including Kaseya agent) but that doesn't work now.

We are forced to either go on-site (ugh!) or use a paid service like LogMeIn Rescue.

When will Kaseya have this issue addressed? There are current working methods for using VNC on Vista.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/13/workaround-to-run-vnc-server-in-windows-vista/

• Kaseya,

Any update on when the 4.2.8 VNC version will be added to Kaseya so that we can use VNC for video streaming and regular remote control of Vista client machines?

• Add me to the list of people who think this is a very big deal.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • This is an pain rightnow, but will bea huge problem if it's not addressed in the next few weeks.

Legacy Posted By Username: gcarlisle
  • Isnt 4.2.8 the Personal Edition which isnt free? The free edition hasnt had any updates yet.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Already had a CEO of one of our important clients just go out a buy a new laptop from Best Buy for her husband for his Birthday yesterday (with no pre-warning to us). Every computer out there has Vista on it now.

She calls and asks us to set it up remotely and none of our tools work because Windows Vista Home doesn't come with RDP - since Kaseya's VNC, Radmin, & video streaming don't work with Vista we were screwed.

The client gave up in total frustration with us because her plan failed and she couldnt have the laptop ready for her husband in time. This sounds like its no big deal, but it is a very big deal.

Strike one.

P.S. I was one of the first Kaseya clients expressing my concerns on this board waaaaay before the release. I was telling everyone how it should of been supported earlier etc. This is EXACTLY the type of stuff I wanted to avoid. And it could of been easily.

• We've had a similar Vista experience. That's why I've sent multiple issues to Kaseya support and postings on the forum - without any success.

Kaseya support has replied with "solutions" that only work for Vista on the agent machine, not on the client machine. And no one from Kaseya has bothered to respond here yet, which is getting frustrating.

Kaseya,

Please let us know the plan. And I hope the answer isn't "we're waiting for vendors to update". You need to let us know what you're actively doing to get this resolved. Kaseya chose, for example, to go with VNC as the remote control tool. It saved you money but you must have been aware that issues like this would arise. You need to develop a working solution, not merely pass the blame to the vendors that YOU selected to use.

For example, if ColdFire is correct in his assertion that the 4.2.8 update is only available for the paid version of VNC, then Kaseya needs to seriously think about purchasing VNC rather than relying on the free version - or switch to another paid software package.

• Yikes... and the Vista nightmare is starting.
    Not a pretty thought is it?

Thought process for IT guys... Since you tested VISTA FULLY...right? you knew there were going to be problems....

My humble suggestion for the next several weeks to all IT companies............. If it has VISTA on it, have a plan for supporting it in place.... do not shoot from the hip.

For example... require all new VISTA computers to be physically visited by your techs to ensure proper installation and tweaking of OS components. It is a stop gap measure that will ultimately save your sanity and keep your customers happy, get you in front of them again, and bill more dollars. do not forget to charge for it.... Hell, just because Microsoft released it, does not mean you have to fix it for free.
    Package it in a combo or something.... use it to your advantage!!!!!!!

An Equally good b-day gift, would have been a coupon emailed over to her promising to make a personal onsite visit to set-up, tweak and train the husband for 30 minutes... or something like that. If it was a really good customer, I would have hand delivered it to her already to go, BOW AND ALL.
    TURN VISTA into a revenue stream not a nightmare knee jerk reaction.

Just trying to help.

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • Gamer-X wrote:
    Yikes... and the Vista nightmare is starting.
    Not a pretty thought is it?

Thought process for IT guys... Since you tested VISTA FULLY...right? you knew there were going to be problems....

My humble suggestion for the next several weeks to all IT companies............. If it has VISTA on it, have a plan for supporting it in place.... do not shoot from the hip.

For example... require all new VISTA computers to be physically visited by your techs to ensure proper installation and tweaking of OS components. It is a stop gap measure that will ultimately save your sanity and keep your customers happy, get you in front of them again, and bill more dollars. do not forget to charge for it.... Hell, just because Microsoft released it, does not mean you have to fix it for free.
    Package it in a combo or something.... use it to your advantage!!!!!!!

An Equally good b-day gift, would have been a coupon emailed over to her promising to make a personal onsite visit to set-up, tweak and train the husband for 30 minutes... or something like that. If it was a really good customer, I would have hand delivered it to her already to go, BOW AND ALL.
    TURN VISTA into a revenue stream not a nightmare knee jerk reaction.

Just trying to help.

Gamer-X

Thank you for the suggestion. But I think you missed the part where we had no lead time. She just went out and bought it. Brought it home at 3pm and called in and said make it work in 2 hours.

This should of been simple.

• First off, I am sorry that you had to tell anyone no can do....for any reason, including Kaseya, but it not necessarily all their fault you know...

I have been preaching on this for months now... and ranted heavily about this exact thing happening!! You and I have had a dialogue on it in other posts Far182.

I know you want Kaseya to just "work" on it... I do to.

From my experiences with VISTA so far... that is not going to be the case EVER.
    And it has nothing to do with Kaseya or WinVNC.
    There are hundreds, hell, thousands of problems yet to be discovered. Your 2 hr set up was only one(1).

I got printers that will not print, software that will not initialize, training to do out the ass...."where is this?, how do I do that...?, Kaseya is only one Headache in a really long list of Alleve moments... coming to a theater near you.

STAY away from SUCK ASS VISTA.....!!!!! That is all I can say about it....
    The OS does not work right...IT will NOT work right for weeks and months to come either...

NOTICE.....HA!!!!.......... there is no such thing... and you ALL had notice as far as I am concerned...... YOU ARE IT PROS..... you knew what was going to happen... yet you insist on telling the vendor.... make it work dammit.... or else.... Smile
    NOT reality! and you know it.... I am still telling my customers....oh.. you got VISTA......... we will do our best, but right now that OS is seriously flawed and is compatible with almost nothing on the shelves today.... and we will guarantee NOTHING...and you are GOING TO PAY FOR IT TOO!
    I do not know what else you can do on this.... its not like it was a SURPRISE or anything...!!!!!!!!!!!
    Compatibility.... will never come before OS... never... it does not work that way...it never will....

The fact that everyone is having problems with Kaseya and WinVNC, and VISTA should come as NO SURPRISE to any one in this forum.

I am still sorry that it happened at all. Smile

Gamer-X

• ps. all I am saying is that you need a plan...

fussing about support is going to get you no where in the short term.

A true plan to support VISTA is a better idea.... even if it is a stop gap measure.

My current plan to support VISTA.... the plan is there is no real support for VISTA.
    I guarantee nothing to work properly, Kaseya, office, printers, networking, anything.

Any IT guy who says this is not a plan... well whats your plan... to act like everything is fine and dandy...and that VISTA works great....OK! You go with that.

Gamer-X

• Gamer-X,

I know your heart is in the right place. But I'd like to request that wekeep this thread focused on the technical issue of getting Kaseya to have a valid, supported remote control method for Vista systems.

If people want to discuss the business merits of how to turn Vista lemons into lemonade or the greatness/awfulness that is Vista, that's fine, but let's do it elsewhere.

Many computer vendors are already pre-installing Vista on their systems, so even though we are not actively pushing or recommending Vista, it is occasionally arriving.

We know how to manage our customer expectations. We even have a technical workaround for remote control (that doesn't involve Kaseya). But that doesn't excuse Kaseya from this technical issue.

So let's keep focused on the technical merits rather than the lecture on business and customer management issues that might otherwise distract from the core issue.

Again, I know you gave the "lecture" with the best intentions to help others, soI hope youdon't take offense at my request.