Kaseya Community

some cool software to help out with managed services

• SnagIt.png
    some things I've found that you may enjoy.....

1) FREE - Clamwin.com is a free EXCELLENT AV scanner but does not run real time. It has found things Symantec Corporate has missed. I run the Linux version on my colo boxes and it runs great. You can schedule scans and do silent installs and will scan emails.

2) Defender - WSUS can push out these updates and you know this is an excellent spyware app that is FREE. Deploys from Kaseya silent as an MSI. I've attached a snapshot of using WSUS to patch and you will see about a 99% FULL PATCH status. this includes Defender, Office, ISA, Exchange, etc. I have WSUS running on my Kaseya box and it has dramatically reduced some headaches

3) Not free but DIRT CHEAP - www.dirms.com has a command line defrag but better is buzzsaw which is a silent msi deploy that is a service that defrags when CPU is 95% free or higher. I had it on my laptop for a few weeks and REALLY noticed improvements. It uses the SAME APIs as Diskkeeper. I paid $1250 for 200 licenses of both and looking to add another 200.

Legacy Forum Name: some cool software to help out with managed services,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmancini
  • Can you script the registration for Dirms and Buzzsaw? On their website, they make you enter in an email address and password to get an activation code. Am I going to have to do this for every managed node?

Legacy Forum Name: Technical Issues,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tgerbervns
  • email him for a quantity license and if you are nice and honest like us then he will give you a reg key you can insert to unlock it. I told him I would buy more as I need it and by month end I will send him another check. The DIRMS script is already in the sample script and buzzsaw is an msi so a /q using the app deploy works like a champ. I stick the reg key in the next step and VIOLA! Runs as a service.

Beats the prices I was getting from Diskkepper

Legacy Posted By Username: mmancini
  • DirMS CL does a great job. DirMS CL licensing is dirt cheap. He will send you everything you need, including an EXE installer for the reg key to run in a VSA script. Simple & quick.

Havehad no problems on any drive (IDE&SCSI with RAID).

Simple command line of "Dirms c -q" for example.

www.dirms.com

Legacy Posted By Username: shickey
  • I use ALOT of diffrent tools for my scripts. But since we are talking about defragmentation, I use this one.

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html

Works great..

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • Hey Marty, do youhave a script written for the jkDefrag utility?

Legacy Posted By Username: NuMoJo
  • The script really does nothing more than specify the defrag utility as the target versus the built in defrag of XP.

Script Name: Defrag_2
    Script Description: This script will run defrag after Step 1 finds out this is needed on the system drive silently and log the results in the variable "defrag". To run defrag on other volumes, just duplicate the steps for each volume.
    IF Test File
    Parameter 1 : analizedefrag.txt
    Contains :You do not need to defragment this volume.
    THEN
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : Volume does not need defragmenting.
    OS Type : 0
    Delete File
    ELSE
    Execute File
    Parameter 1 : defrag.exe
    Parameter 2 : C:
    Parameter 3 : 3
    Write Script Log Entry
    Parameter 1 : Defrag completed with - SUCCESS
    Delete File

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • thanks Marty, that is helping alot, im still trying to get everything set up, I have about 100 computers spread over three clients right now, so things are slow but good for just starting out, I have not started advertising yet, but I will be starting on the first of June. thanks for the help

Legacy Posted By Username: NuMoJo