Kaseya Community

Best Practice to deploy new agents?

• dwujcik
    The method we use for configuring is similar to templating. We'll configure the first WS the way we want it for that client, copy the settings to all of the other machines, then add the server stuff to the servers.

Every now and then we do it backwards and get "OMG Exchange isn't running and I can't start it" messages on the workstations... Then we laugh at the tech that did it (usually me).

Same procedure here... K.I.S.S.

We have templates made for
    24/7 exchange, MSSQL, IIS
    24/7 File server
    8x5 monitoring same as above
    Servers no patch, no monitoring ( RDP access only to facilitate SLA's and because why not? )
    Workstations same as above ( RDP access only )
    Workstations XP, 2000, vista, and Windows 7 8x5 w/ monitoring

These are all templates that we use and then we spend some TLC with the server for specific monitoring needs like AV, 3rd party software.

These are constantly getting tweaked with various scripts that will be run post installation and different schedules for certain scripts.

Templates are great!

This is all great input for sure.

Great thread.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • Has anybody found a way to automatically install agents when LAN Watch detects a new machine? I know I can get notifications, but then I have go to install agents, put in the domain name and password, etc., etc. - every single time a new machine is discovered. Does anyone have a better way to handle newly discovered machines VIA Kaseya. I could do Group Policy but some of my clients are so small they're not even domain. Sad

Legacy Posted By Username: lukem@thecomputerfactory.com
  • lukem@thecomputerfactory.com
    Has anybody found a way to automatically install agents when LAN Watch detects a new machine? I know I can get notifications, but then I have go to install agents, put in the domain name and password, etc., etc. - every single time a new machine is discovered. Does anyone have a better way to handle newly discovered machines VIA Kaseya. I could do Group Policy but some of my clients are so small they're not even domain. Sad

Yes, I use a group policy to check if the agent is installed, if it isnt, the agent gets installed.

I use group policy because some of the networks we babysit have open wireless nodes and I don't want agents going to our clients vendors or some schmoe that dropped in for lunch...

Kaseya has something built in that will install on anything in the AD too
    Agent ("tab") |> LAN Discovery > View AD Computers.

I like my way as its a bit cleaner

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Cool, thanks.

• Ive created a base package that can be put on any type of machine as it does basic things like agent customisations, preinstall rc, baseline audit, then im going to be copy settings to different packages based on the machine role and apply it to that agent.

Legacy Posted By Username: steven.moore
  • Signup for the Learning Management System and view the online training for K2 Agents. It covers how to setup template agents.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • steven.moore,

I have two basic install packages: Workstation and Server. I use these on all new machines. They are preconfigured for patch policy, remote agent, audits, several scripts (allow safe mode remoting, etc.), and more.