Kaseya Community

Monitoring HP Proliant Servers

• CeruleanBlue
    oh. Haha. I saw the March and the year and for some reason my mind told me the thread was current. The 8 looks like a 9. That's my excuse.

I'm convinced that for SNMP monitoring, its a lost cause. I'm going shopping. Something so simple should not be like pulling an elephant uphill, and that is putting it nicely.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Techdawg
  • I found SNMP was too hard with regards to having the correct MIBS loaded.
    HP have some monitoring programs that put events into event logs and we alarm on items going into the System Log.
    It picks up stuff like failed Redundant Power Supplies, Failed Disks in arrays and dead batteries in Smart Array controllers.
    Here is what we did:
    Install HP Systems Management Homepage (this is a cut down version of Insight Manager and it puts all the errors in your System log)
    Setup a Monitor Set to check for the HP errors in the System Log.

This was very easy to setup. We even scripted the HPSMH setup.

The downside of this is: Alarms are triggered by an event log entry and not automatically closed when the hardware problem is solved. I would prefer to have alarms automatically close themselves when problems are fixed. If there is a way to un-alarm based on event log.... Please let me know.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • Garry,

We basically do the same thing with DELL servers  - installing their DELL Server Manager software, which then creates Event Log entries, and then using K to monior the event Log for this events. This way we are aware of things like failed raid arrays, failed disks, failed power supply, etc.

I believe we basiclaly made a copy of the sample DELL Hardware Event Set that came with Kaseya, and we added a few Exclude events.  Here is an exported copy of our current Event Set.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> <event_sets> <set_elements setName="_WCI-Dell Hardware Monitoring" eventSetId="676362229"> <element_data ignore="1" source="*Server Administrator*" category="*" eventId="2188" username="*" description="*The controller write policy has been changed to Write Through*"/> <element_data ignore="1" source="Administrator*" category="*" eventId="1254" username="*" description="*Chassis intrusion detected*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="DELL Open Manage Server*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="pedge*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="perc*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="Server Administrator*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="1" source="Server Administrator*" category="*" eventId="1254" username="*" description="*intrusion detected*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="Storage Administrator*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> </set_elements> </event_sets>
    We have a few clients with HP servers, and we did not know what to monitor for. Would you might posting a screen capture or Event Set Export for the HP events? THanks. Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 5:33 PM (GMT -8) on 12-20-2010] .
  • lwolf,

Please find below my HP Servers event set.
    It only triggers on Warnings or Errors (we don't look at Information events)
    We also do irregular manual checks on server logs (just in case the vendor changes the way they log events)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> <event_sets> <set_elements setName="HP Servers" eventSetId="54714654"> <element_data ignore="0" source="adpu160m" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="CPQ*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="HP System*" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="HP Test" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="hplto" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="NIC Agents" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="q57w2k" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="Server Agents" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> <element_data ignore="0" source="Storage Agents" category="*" eventId="-1" username="*" description="*"/> </set_elements> </event_sets>

Legacy Posted By Username: garry

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 5:33 PM (GMT -8) on 12-20-2010] .
  • Garry,

Thanks very much for sharing.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Maybe this will help some that are also trying to get this working. My god what a PITA this has been, but I totaly get how it works, and how to set it up now - thanks Corey!

http://community.kaseya.com/api/forums.ashx/forums/28/threads/5982/posts/28378

Dont forget you Have to have the HP Monitor Webpage installed on the target server, as well as SNMP service installed, turned on and set up.

Hope this helps!

Legacy Posted By Username: Techdawg
  • Techdawg
    I'm convinced that for SNMP monitoring, its a lost cause. I'm going shopping. Something so simple should not be like pulling an elephant uphill, and that is putting it nicely.

Depends what you want, of course, but I really like the PRTRG product for SNMP monitoring, and it's not expensive either.

And it's smart enough to do automatic MIB discovery.

/kenw

Legacy Posted By Username: Ken Wallewein
  • [QUOTE=RCS-Michael;26496]Gavin,

I have this SNMP set. I don't recall where I got it from; I didn't create it and at the moment, I don't use it. But, perhaps it will help you.

Michael

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
    <monitor_snmp_set_definition version="1.0">
    -<MonitorSnmpSet name="HP Server Health - Prod" description='SNMP Monitoring for HP Servers (RAID, Fan, PSU, Temp)'
    > -<ObjectGets>
    <ObjectGet name='Compaq RAID Status'  description='' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqDriveArray.cpqDaMibRev.cpqDaMibCondition'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.1.3'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='Compaq RAID Status'  mibDisplayName='cpqDaMibRev.cpqDaMibCondition'  collectionOperator='Over'  abstractType='total'  collectionThreshold='0' trendTimeSpan='1209600' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Over'  thresholdAmount='2' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  thresholdWarning='10' snmpSuffix='0' parentFlag='1' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqDriveArray.cpqDaMibRev.cpqDaMibCondition.' altSnmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.1.3.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    <ObjectGet name='Compaq RAID Status0'  description='' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqDriveArray.cpqDaMibRev.cpqDaMibCondition'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.1.3'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='Compaq RAID Status0'  mibDisplayName='cpqDaMibRev.cpqDaMibCondition'  collectionOperator='Changed'  collectionThreshold='1' trendTimeSpan='1209600' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Equal'  thresholdAmount='2' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  snmpSuffix='0' parentId='2603' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqDriveArray.cpqDaMibRev.cpqDaMibCondition.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    <ObjectGet name='Fan Status'  description='(2) all ok (3) degraded (4)failed' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalSystemFanStatus'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.4'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='Fan Status'  mibDisplayName='cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalSystemFanStatus'  collectionOperator='Over'  abstractType='total'  collectionThreshold='0' trendTimeSpan='1209600' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Over'  thresholdAmount='2' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  thresholdWarning='10' snmpSuffix='0' parentFlag='1' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalSystemFanStatus.' altSnmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.4.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    <ObjectGet name='Fan Status0'  description='' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalSystemFanStatus'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.4'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='Fan Status0'  mibDisplayName='cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalSystemFanStatus'  collectionOperator='Changed'  collectionThreshold='1' trendTimeSpan='1209600' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Changed'  thresholdAmount='3' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  snmpSuffix='0' parentId='2605' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalSystemFanStatus.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    <ObjectGet name='Power Supply Status'  description='' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupply.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupplyCondition'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.9.1'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='Power Supply Status'  mibDisplayName='cpqHeFltTolPwrSupply.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupplyCondition'  collectionOperator='Over'  abstractType='total'  collectionThreshold='0' trendTimeSpan='14' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Over'  thresholdAmount='2' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  thresholdWarning='10' snmpSuffix='0' parentFlag='1' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupply.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupplyCondition.' altSnmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.9.1.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    <ObjectGet name='Power Supply Status0'  description='' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupply.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupplyCondition'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.9.1'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='Power Supply Status0'  mibDisplayName='cpqHeFltTolPwrSupply.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupplyCondition'  collectionOperator='Changed'  collectionThreshold='1' trendTimeSpan='1209600' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Changed'  thresholdAmount='3' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  snmpSuffix='0' parentId='2607' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupply.cpqHeFltTolPwrSupplyCondition.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    <ObjectGet name='cpqHeThermalCondition'  description='' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalCondition'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.1'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='cpqHeThermalCondition'  mibDisplayName='cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalCondition'  collectionOperator='Over'  abstractType='total'  collectionThreshold='0' trendTimeSpan='1209600' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Over'  thresholdAmount='2' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  thresholdWarning='10' snmpSuffix='0' parentFlag='1' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalCondition.' altSnmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.1.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    <ObjectGet name='cpqHeThermalCondition0'  description='' mibCharOid='.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalCondition'  mibNumberedOid='.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.1'  mibAccess='read-only'  mibSyntax='float'  mibName='cpqHeThermalCondition'  mibDisplayName='cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalCondition'  collectionOperator='Changed'  collectionThreshold='1' trendTimeSpan='1209600' timeoutValue='2' trendReArm='86400' thresholdOperator='Changed'  thresholdAmount='3' thresholdDuration='30' snmpVersion='1'  snmpSuffix='0' parentId='2609' snmpGetScript='&quot;{agentDir}\usr\bin\snmpget.exe&quot; {Community} -v 1 -t 2 -r 0 -O Qstab -M &quot;{agentDir}\usr\share\snmp\mibs&quot;  {IPaddress} .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHealth.cpqHeComponent.cpqHeThermal.cpqHeThermalCondition.' thresholdReArm='86400'/>
    </ObjectGets>
    </MonitorSnmpSet>
    </monitor_snmp_set_definition>[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say thanks for this set, it is exactly what I was looking for!

Legacy Posted By Username: PCG

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 5:34 PM (GMT -8) on 12-20-2010] .
  • PCG
    Just wanted to say thanks for this set, it is exactly what I was looking for!

you're welcome - glad it's of use!

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael