Kaseya Community

stolen laptop

• I would also set up a vbscript that starts the agent if it is not started, using the system account, and either have the vbscript constantly run (sleep 5000) or also push a schuduled task to the machine. This will help incase the thief gets smart and tries to stop/uninstall the agent =) Let us now how this goes!

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • post the offending ips of the gateway and i will run a look up, depending on the ip i can get it down to the street almost

Legacy Posted By Username: ustekschad
  • any update. I've been quietly paying attention to this saga and am interested to know how it resolves.

Legacy Posted By Username: iamnet
  • iamnet
    any update. I've been quietly paying attention to this saga and am interested to know how it resolves.

Me too... I am sure we'll see a post from Will if he gets it back -- and the case study we get to release for the story Big Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • Hello everyone,

First post as a new person at Calvert Technologies in Adelaide, South Australia.

I am VERY interested in this post. We had a laptop stolen this week and I managed to work out how to put the alert on. i got an e-mail this morning saying the laptop had checked in.

On further investigation and a call to our customer, it transpires that the laptop was found by the Police here, and returned to our customer.

However, it got me thinking, what could be done? I really like the "kill" or "total wipe" ideas. And the camera to take a pic ... that is just total genius!! Anyone got it to work on PC?

Thanks ... and chat soon!! Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: ct_helpdesk
  • Most business PCs (Dell Optiplex) don't have cameras built in, but every laptop has a microphone. Maybe we could come up with something that would record audio. It wouldn't be quite as incrimating, but hopefully a name or two would be mentioned.

A keylogger would also help. I found a way to do a silent install for Spector Pro. It's not fully tested, but logs absolutely everything.

Legacy Posted By Username: runnetworks
  • A keylogger is a great idea, as is the screen scraping.

We recently had one stolen. I have a script scheduled on it which will email the gateway IP to me, email a text message to the owner's phone, and email a text message to a technician's phone.

All three of us are setup with access to the owner's Kaseya account. VNC is setup silently. The Kaseya icon and VNC icon are hidden, and the owner was advised (if he remotes in) to not move the mouse.. just watch.

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • in my experience, you are pretty much at a loss for the hardware, but usually the data is the big concern (integrity, confidentiality, or lack of back up).

my advice is to give up on the tracking as getting any legal recourse out of it is pretty much impossible and not worth it unless you are talking some real expensive equipment.

what i would suggest is you either run a script to delete any and all data on check in or even a command line utility to encrypt the drive if you really want to be safe (as possible i guess - there are lots of freebies out there to do this silently).

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook