Kaseya Community

ConnectWise and the Kaseya API

• Example 1:

I requested pricing on cutting back our licenses, a key selling point for Kaseya, 10 days ago. No response. How long would it take to get a call if I wanted to ADD licenses?

I could go on...but I won't. It serves no purpose. I think my original post says it all. Support guys are good, but K is only concerned about the $, not the success of their partners.

far182 wrote:
    nvelocity wrote:
    Kaseya the software: good.

Kaseya the company: absolute dirtbags. I have too many examples to list.

This message will likely self destruct in 10 seconds....

I call BS on you having any examples at all. Sorry.

Legacy Forum Name: Partner to Partner,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nvelocity
  • I would have to say I agree with Kaseya's stance that they simply write an APIforvendors such as ConnectWise, then let ConnectWisewrite the integration piece. As a recall I purchased from ConnectWise an additional MSP module that had this integration piece, I didn't purchase from Kaseya a ConnectWise Integration module.

From the point of simplicity as it was also mentioned in a similar context in this thread is that Kaseya is a spoke and ConnectWise is the Hub. The Hub is a very complex piece of software and it's job is to integrate all the spokes together to make a wheel. It's not the job of the spokes to link itself to each of the other spokes through the hub.

From the business side I also wouldn't want Kaseya writing things directly into ConnectWise, gee this is my Invoicing system, what if they screw it up, how long would it take Kaseya to fix this. If this ownership remains in Connectwise, I'm a lot more confident in ConnectWise's ability to address issues with their system versus Kaseya.

Back to the point of accountability. I pay ConnectWise for this integration, I don't pay Kaseya. Accountability falls in the lapof ConnectWise, but I'm happy with this because the support I've always received through ConnectWise has been a lot better than Kaseya.

Just my two cents.

Legacy Posted By Username: jbland
  • jbland wrote:
    I would have to say I agree with Kaseya's stance that they simply write an APIforvendors such as ConnectWise, then let ConnectWisewrite the integration piece. As a recall I purchased from ConnectWise an additional MSP module that had this integration piece, I didn't purchase from Kaseya a ConnectWise Integration module.

From the point of simplicity as it was also mentioned in a similar context in this thread is that Kaseya is a spoke and ConnectWise is the Hub. The Hub is a very complex piece of software and it's job is to integrate all the spokes together to make a wheel. It's not the job of the spokes to link itself to each of the other spokes through the hub.

From the business side I also wouldn't want Kaseya writing things directly into ConnectWise, gee this is my Invoicing system, what if they screw it up, how long would it take Kaseya to fix this. If this ownership remains in Connectwise, I'm a lot more confident in ConnectWise's ability to address issues with their system versus Kaseya.

Back to the point of accountability. I pay ConnectWise for this integration, I don't pay Kaseya. Accountability falls in the lapof ConnectWise, but I'm happy with this because the support I've always received through ConnectWise has been a lot better than Kaseya.

Just my two cents.

Well said! I also agree with your points. The only thing I would like to add is that for Connectwise to write connectors/connections into Kaseya, it is a lot easier if Kaseya helps them do it. So at some level they must work together to make it work. API is a big step, but also a relationship goes a long way.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I would agree with all of these points as well. CW has communicated to me that they would write to kaseya's API if it were available. Kaseya says you must be part of their partner program to receive a preview of the API. CW says they want to see it BEFORE they will agree to the terms of the partner agreement.........round and round we go again.

When Kaseya released the news that they intended to have their API releasd (to their partners who signed up, which CW is not), I asked CW for an update on where they stood with this and have heard nothing for 3 weeks now.

The point here, once again, is CW and Kaseya willneed to work together to make this happen for their collective partner community. So far, the only new news is Kaseya intends to release their API, not that they intend to integrate with CW.

Legacy Posted By Username: bmiller
  • Kinda dumb that you have to become a software partner of Kaseya in order to get information on their API. What if one of US wants to write something THEMSELVES? Maybe I want to write some sort of integration with something that is NOT a partner... like maybe Act! or MS CRM. Or maybe I just want to make my own customer portal?

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • Whynot just become a partner? I doubt it would cost you anything.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Not AGAINST it, certainly, and that's probably what I'm going to have to end up doing.But it just doesn't seem to make sense that someone who is NOT a software partner would have to sign up as one just to use their own purchased software.

Sort of like if Microsoft forced you to sign up as a software partner if you wanted to write a Word macro for yourself.

• The latest from CW is this:
    Hi Brian

Our COO, Santo Cannone has reached out to Kaseya about 3 weeks agooutlining a best path approach for integration thatis beneficial for our mutual partners. We are awaiting their response. We will keep you posted.

After reading this response, I asked if they would refund our money on the MSP module; we'll see......

• On Tuesday, October 30[suP]th[/suP], the Kaseya API was released to Technology Alliance Partners as planned. The API contains all of the functionality outlined in the forum post from October 3[suP]rd[/suP]. Over the past several weeks Kaseya has been working with each of the Partners on their integration plans, and we look forward to continuing work with the Partners as their develop their improved integration solutions.

Legacy Posted By Username: Kevin Franck
  • So I'm assuming that means that the API functions are built into the latest release of Kaseya that we all currently have...?

There are two parts to rolling out an API - letting the programmers who will use it know what the functions are and how to use it and then having the functions actually EXIST in the code that everyone is running.

So if the TAP partners got documentation on it but the software we're running doesn't yet support that API, then even if one of the TAP partners wrote something TODAY to that API, it wouldn't work yet.

Obviously the "documentation" part was released today... what about the "operational" part?

And how does one become a TAP partner?

• As stated in the post earlier, the TAP partners received the API. The API works with the current 4.8 release. The API gets installed on the Kserver. Inquiries for the TAP program can be directed to Kevin Franck.

Legacy Posted By Username: jimalves
  • Jim,

Has anyone from Connectwise agreed to join TAP?

Thanks,

Brian

• jim_alves wrote:
    As stated in the post earlier, the TAP partners received the API. The API works with the current 4.8 release. The API gets installed on the Kserver. Inquiries for the TAP program can be directed to Kevin Franck.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, you had said that TAP partners receive the API. However, with MOST products, an AP is simply part of the product itself and not an add-on that gets installd. So from what I get form your clarification, the API isn't just an interface into the existing code as it is but rather an add-on that has to be installed on each of our KServers if we want to use something that requires the API.

I actually just spoke to one o the sales guys about the TAP program because I hadn't received an e-mail directly from you about this and I hadn't yet gone on here and seen your response. They said to contact you. (grin) Guess I'll try to e-mail Kevin directly, even though I posted on here in response to HIS post.

Thanks.

• far182 wrote:
    Whynot just become a partner? I doubt it would cost you anything.

Well, I tried. I asked on here, e-mailed Jim Alves, and called support to find out who to contact (they said Jim Alves). Jim's recent post said to contact Kevin Franck, which I did via e-mail. To his credit, he responded back fairly promptly.

But the response was basically: no.

They seem to want high profile companies that will get them a lot of press. They're not interested in having the people who actually BUY their software find better uses for it. If you look at the Kaseya web site, they list only a few TAP partners: Autotask, Catbird, Tigerpaw (THAT'S a laugh!!!), and Untangle. As someone else mentioned, I doubt ConnectWise is one.

Doesn't seem to matter that I might want to more tightly integrate some of the antivirus solutions that I use. Or that I might want to create my own links between software such as Act or MS CRM. Or that I might want to create my own way of using the ticketing system in Kaseya to actually be USEFUL by getting billing information out of it (which requires a lot more than just reading data). Or perhaps that I might want to create a Windows app that can show a status-board sort of display of alarms.

I think I'm going to have to find a vendor to partner with that actually thinks of me as a PARTNER and not just someone they can bill every month.

• This topic also came up at the CompTIA SMB Summit this week. Neal Lauther was there and shared that ConnectWise users account for 15% of the Kaseya users. As others have said, CW runs my business; Kaseya is a tool I use to deliver services, along with others. If I have to replace one, it will be Kaseya and I don't even have to think about it. Likely I will continue paying my monthly fees and will continue to use Kaseya. But when I have exceeded my license count, it is currently highly unlikely that I will buy any more.

I don't think that Gerald understands that he can benefit greatly from happy clients that are expanding their businesses. If I am happy, then my growth is also his. He treats us like it was a one time purchase.

And - I will never purchase another Kaseya add-on. The backup product does not work - at least not always and I have multiple tickets (I assume since it is impossible to know) that are outstanding for months. I wouldn't take KES if they gave it to me. Which means that Kaseya is not the center of my universe and I need to look for solutions that will integrate to the center of my universe.

Legacy Posted By Username: kitechgrp