Kaseya Community

Branding Issues

• Case points being as it they are, I believe the original concept being mentioned is not an issue of providing the skill sets for the job, but rather a marketing issue of having a fully branded tool (Kaseya) that his company is using (and branded as his company) that sets him apart from the competition in his area, and, the such a tool is not publically available, thus, (n his customer's eyes), he is providing very unique services.

In addition, the total branding would also remove the possiblity of his local competition from purchasing Kaseya themselves to directly compete with him locally.

PLUS, removing the same purchasing option from a customer with an internal IT staff, which, can as mention, purchase the Kaseya themselves, cut him out of the picture and dot he work themself. This I have ran into many many times, especially on larger clients with IT staff, where the IT staff wants toput a feather in their cap by cutting cost.

Yes, the number can all play out, but, what I think the original concept was, is to basically hold a monopoly locally with the Kaseya by not having the Kaseya name shown anywhere so the competition nor clients can remove his company (and billing time) from the picture.

If you knew your competition was making money selling Acer machines, you too would try to find out how to get ahold of Acer machines and make money too. Once your competition was selling Acer machines, guess what, you are now selling less of them. Basically, he does not want to give away the store.

Just me 2 cents worth.

Legacy Forum Name: Sales and Marketing,
    Legacy Posted By Username: shickey
  • That is exactly what I am trying to say Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Kcbrownlee
  • My point it this:

Even if you remove all Kaseya's logos andreferences from the product, there's absolutely nothing to prevent the client(s) or competitor(s) from purchasing Kaseya or any other product that has a comparable feature set. It's not hard to find the availability of these types of products. Therefore, you should work on developingextensive knowledge and integration skills. By extending the Kaseya product you are not just another product pusher. You now are able to provide something unique to clients and different thenyour competitors. This way clients can understand, if they were to go it on their own, their ramp up timeto providethe samefunctionality will be significant. So now your truly adding value and you can enforce this to your clients, potential clients, and benefits over your competitors. Remember anyone can buy a product, it's how you use the product that makes you different.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • connectex wrote:
    My point it this:

Even if you remove all Kaseya's logos andreferences from the product, there's absolutely nothing to prevent the client(s) or competitor(s) from purchasing Kaseya or any other product that has a comparable feature set. It's not hard to find the availability of these types of products. Therefore, you should work on developingextensive knowledge and integration skills. By extending the Kaseya product you are not just another product pusher. You now are able to provide something unique to clients and different thenyour competitors. This way clients can understand, if they were to go it on their own, their ramp up timeto providethe samefunctionality will be significant. So now your truly adding value and you can enforce this to your clients, potential clients, and benefits over your competitors. Remember anyone can buy a product, it's how you use the product that makes you different.

I 100% agree. But... no matter how wonderful you position your unique offering, there are people that (given too much information) can shaft a deal. Yep, we basically avoid working with these types, but some markets you just cannot avoid it.

Having the branding removed is just one less thing for them to type in google and try to lower your bid.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Basically in a nut shell. You can have all the skill sets needed far beyond your clients needs. You can have all the experience needed to support your clients interests. You can have a full staff of engineers to provide all the onsite time any client may need. But your competition is constantly looking at how to get more customers. Whether they are your customers or someone elses. If they discover you are using Kaseya, well, guess what. If he gets Kaseya, and target your customers, despite all your skill sets and so on. Simply cut the price of the same services, provide a robust list of existing clients they have done work for, and odds are, you may not hear from that customer anymore unless you start cutting your prices and add the additional services he is going to add on to get your customers to switch over. I have been dealing with this stuff for some 30 years now. I have seen so may scenarios with large and small corporations.

Just give your competition some info, they will use it to their advantage to gain business. Its no secret. Skill sets are basics anymore in IT. Its "What am I getting for my money?" anymore. PLUS, you are not the only person on the earth with those skill sets. So, keeping the Kaseya as a hidden tool, help ward off the competition, and, give you an edge.

Not to mention, the PC guy in the customers office that discovers Kaseya, figures out he can cut out the outsourcing, save the company money, get himself more into the IT arena, and maybe get a raise at the same time. I have seen these guys all over the place.

Its hard enough to get new customers and hold onto them, let alone advertising to allow someone else potentially walk away with your customers.

So there is truth to both sides of the story....but do you gamble on loosing customers, or try to narrow the possibilities ?

Just pokin me 1 cent in again.......

• I thought LONG and hard before typing this post. It's the way I feel.
    This discussion hits close to my heart.
    I have very strong feelings about this issue.
    I think it is HUGE.

First off, if you are not an MSP, and posting in here, (although I do not know how that might happen) I think you should shut up!
    MSP's pay enough to play.... We should get some PERKS! that others don't.
    Don't you think so too fellow MSP's?

With that said...........WE are ALL basically saying the same things.

In order to compete in this business, you need to minimize your risk as much as possible.

1. You need to be good at what you do, and make it known in your offerings. Kaseya has a good tool set in order for you to offer these "unique" services very easily with a little work. Also, many of you have "special" tools that you do not share on this forum for EXACTLY that reason. I do too. Competetive Advantage among your peers. And I think thats OK.... although i'll show your mine... if you show me yours. Smile

2. Anything that gives away the framework, product, source, etc... IS BAD! Nothing hurts worse than getting ready to ink a deal... and BAM Jimmy the little IT jerk has finally found out some of your secret ingredients to your winning recipe. Sale just went into the toilet......... and most likely the company figures, you were going to try to pull a "fast one" on em. Seen it a hundred times. I just walk. No sense in trying to patch a fully ruptured aorta.

But still... consider this as food for thought....
    I am working on a good sized office right now, about 500 machines.... and I think i'm a gonna get it (hope and pray is probably more accurate), but man I do not need to be thinking about the risk that the IT jerks are gonna find out my framework name and go get it themselves.......
    In that instance... my skill set will not matter, even if I can bring superior skills and experience to the table in OS and actual framework know how.... there is a 90% + chance that I just lost the customer to Kaseya directly, and the little IT jerk just saved his job. ***! He was an idiot in the first place... Smile Kaseya has now indirectly cost me a sale.... I would buy more licenses if you would make it a little easier here Kaseya. Less lost deals..... equals more Kaseya Server licenses I purchase.
    P.S. I am not in the business of reselling your product for you. That is not my job, so don't waste time quoting that program as an option. I do not consider it an option at all!!!

3. Kaseya has a vested interest to display their brand so that they can get more customers for these very reasons... That MUST be how they feel from a black and white stand point..... or else they would not have a problem with it now would they. I do not mind small users of Kaseya using the Kaseya logo.
    I do not like it with MSP's. IT HURTS OUR BUSINESS PLAIN AND SIMPLE!
    I know it is not on purpose with malicious intent, but still the argument in Orange above says it all.
    Kaseya may get the sale whether I do or not... that is not a good thing the way I see it. I did the work, I should get the sale... period.

(If you think i am wrong here... please tell me why. I can currently see no other reason for the branding than to pick up the sale, whether the MSP does or not. I am not hateing on Kaseya, rather trying to understand why things are the way they are, and to affect change towards what I want to see for MSP's, and myself.)

Take care of your MSP's Kaseya, and we will happily take care of you. That's what I say...

I do not really care too much about users with less than 1,000 licenses getting anything special. If you don't have at least 1,000 then its ok by me if you do not get jack in the way of custom anything.

I think this is a HUGE issue for MSP's out there. I do not know about you, but I would like Kaseya to address this formally, and to remove all branding issues, so that it stops costing us sales. For the record, I have lost exactly 2 deals this way in the last 6 months. It was partially due to me... I will take some of the blame, but Kaseya you have to take some too. It was your footer that ultimately did me in.

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • Ok, now that you brought it up, WHY are non MSP's in the Channel Partnerssection anyway ?

Taking a course provides access to more Privileged areas?

Taking a course makes them an MSP ?

What investment do they have in Kaseya to access MSP related info ?

• im an MSP... i do not know what a non msp can see.... but I made mention of it becuase I think its important to differentiate the two seperate groups....

MSP's

and people who should have powered by Kaseya on the footer.

Smile

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • I think gamer-x is correct - we should have the option to remove all the branding.

It should then be up to the MSP whether or not they want to divulge which toolset they use or not.

The problem I see, is that once the prospect decides they are going to buy direct, there's more chance of hell freezing over than them coming crawling back to say they made a mistake and can you now manage it for them. In fact, this is almost certainly the case where having perhaps gone this route to save money, they'll throw money at it rather than admit they got it wrong.

Without the ability to script (vbscript, powershell or even exe development) and a half decent understanding of Windows OS, they'll just never get the benefit of the framework.

One of the real big positives we see, is that we can now get developed all these ideas we've had floating around for ages, but could never justify charging a single client to develop them. I could see that if someone took kaseya themselves they might struggle to spend the amount of time required to make it good - something that having a number of customers and a common goal possibly gives us the edge over them.

gordon

Legacy Posted By Username: gordonc
  • I agree with Gamer-X.

AND

If the end user purchases only one module, why should they have the same access to info as an MSP has, who has invested much more than an end user?

AND

Being an MSPI would think entitles them tofullbranding benefits. Unlike someone to purchased a module or attended a course who have less investment and havedifferent needs. Besides, the MSPs are more in it for the long run versus and end user tinkering around.

If Kaseya wants to build the client base, the MSPs are going to bring in the volume licenses, not the end users.

This branding issue for MSP may hinder Kaseya's MSP channel. You simply can not treat an end user the same as an MSP without some ramifications.

Idon't see why it is such an issue for Kaseya to drop the branding for MSPs!

• Any Feedback on this issue?

Legacy Posted By Username: Kcbrownlee
  • If I were an I.T. director with a decent amount of intelligence on my staff, I would be an idiot if I didn't perform due dilligence on available management software before outsourcing services. The fact that you are getting a large I.T. department to buy your managed services is gravy IMO. Don't allow that income to be critical to your business. Use it to buy better hardware, or vehicles or some other capital improvement (or just sock it away into savings for a rainy quarter), but don't use it as your life blood because it doesn't matter - even if you were able to 100% brand Kaseya, they will still find it when they start asking questions and actively seeking answers - or attending trade shows. You can't hide it forever. Make your company irreplacable by providing outstanding response time, excellent uptime numbers, unique Audit reports, continual improvement ideas etc. etc. Make your company stand apart from the incumbant net admins who almost certainly have given into group think and laziness (which happens in almost all large organizations).

Mike Sims

Kcbrownlee wrote:
    I agree with you to a point. The point of difference is when we are assisting the current in-house IT staff, whichare usually the larger clients. Even though we are selling our expertise, not the tool, the tool could be used and managed by most Network Administrators and that could cut deeply into our monthly revenues. We would still get the projects, but if we are going to only be used for projects the why buy into Kaseya at all. I will give you a scenario:

You have a customer with 300 machines and they pay you to assist their current in-house staff and do all of the monitoring and patch management. Lets say the charge is 60 per machine totaling 18,000 permonth (ongoing). Now if they bought the product at say 12000 and then spent 2000 on a server total cost 14,000 (one time fee). I know Kaseya will help them to configure and set it up just as they would for any customer. Even if they did not; for a 6000 savings I would pay an in-house (salaried) tech to take the Kaseya course and learn the product. Or better still I would get the current IT consultant who is using Kaseya to train my in-house tech to use the software. And just pay him 1 time for Setup and configuration. When I had a project or spacific IT need i would then call in my consultant. If I am a Kaseya Sales person this is great, but I am an IT consultant looking to get reoccurring residual revenues.

I am writing this from the stand point of just the average business owner. It usualyboils down to dollars and sense.

Legacy Posted By Username: mikesims10670