Kaseya Community

Kaseya End-Point Security (KES)

• Has anybody deployed this in an organization of 20 - 100 nodes? We are still concerned with network performance. Support can't/won't answer our tickets, sales guys must be AOL.

The forum is my last resort in deciding whether I keep KES or return it.

Any thoughts?

Legacy Forum Name: Technical Issues,
    Legacy Posted By Username: dng
  • DNG - have not had time tofully investigate this, but am in the same boat and sympathize wholeheartedly. I have had some complaints of "slowness" where KES is deployed and will be testing the network issues you mention specifically to hopefullyget a decision made as to whether to go with the product or return it and go with something else.

On the one hand I realize this is a 1.0 product and hopefully the bugs will be getting worked out and it will get better. The integration is really important - so you would HOPE that would be the case... BUT if the darn thing just doesn't work or slows the customers down to a crawl - what choice do you have??

Legacy Posted By Username: ACTIONSC
  • I didn't buy because I just couldn't justify spending double what AVG costs for something that just plain doesn't even work. I decided to stick to the trial.

Been over a month now since the product (KES) has been out. They don't seem to have fixed much.

Alerting just plain doesn't seem to work. My test stations TRY to update (the update script runs) but they don't actually GET the updates. You'd think that it would alert on an old definition version (as I have it configured). Nope. The alert seems to trigger only if the update SCRIPT doesn't run - it doesn't actually check the definitions dates!!! That's a prety serious issue if you ask me - how can I sell managed antivirus if I can't even be sure that it is working?

You can install KES on top of an existing AVG installation. Except that it won't work. You then have to MANUALLY uninstall and then reinstall (or manually uninstall AVG first). Um, wouldn't I be paying MORE for KES because it is supposed to make my installations EASIER? So why would I want to pay MORE to have it make it HARDER?

No uninstall of any other antivirus, either. So it is a manual installation no matter what - unless it is a blank machine with nothing on it. Oh yeah, that's right, they tested on brand new machines with nothing but an OS...

On my machine, whenever it tried to do an update, it literally brought my machine to a crawl for SEVERAL minutes. AVG by itself NEVER did that.

EVERYTHING was hideously slow with anti-spyware running. Ok, so turn it off. But what's the point of spending a LOT more for KES when all you need is AVG A/V (and not the anti-malware version)?

There's a serious lack of granularity in the configuration. It would usually detect things like SLIMFTP - part of Kaseya's FTP feature - as spyware. It is tough and/or impossible in KES to exclude that particular file in a particular location (but it CAN be done using standard AVG and the AVG control center).

All updates in KES go across the Internet. Regular AVG pulls onto a local server once and then the workstations pull from the server across the fast network, not the slow Internet. You really want to slow down your clients' Internet connections pulling virus defs from every machine?

KES doesn't support mail servers. Maybe someday, but you can bet that's going to be an additional expense. So what are you doing to keep viruses from getting into Exchange? Maybe you're using a filtering company (like Postini) and that's fine, but if you're not, then you're going to have to buy some antivirus product anyway. So you're dealing with setting up and maintaining another antivirus product on the client networks anyway. You're now managing TWO antivirus products - one for the Exchange servers and then KES.

Updates have been inconsistent, to say the least. There were some issues that took several weeks to get fixed and required manual intervention to do it. But I found that on one machine that WAS working, it just quit with some update sometime. You REALLY want to deal with an antivirus product that may cause updates (or other functions) to quit for no apparent reason - and which may very well require manual intervention to fix?

Kaseya may be happy to tell you that you can charge $5 per machine per month for KES ($60 a year). Not TOO bad for a product that will probably cost you $15-$20 (depending on your volume). But they don't seem to take into account the fact that one single screw-up on their part that requires you to spend half an hour fixing something just ate the entire year profit and then some. Or even just the normal amount of maintenance you'd need to do to monitor it and make sure that it is running properly.

Now, I can't tell anyone else what to do, but frankly, I can't see KES as being a smart choice for anyone right now. It doesn't really do ANYTHING that AVG and a few scripts can't do, actually does LESS, does it WORSE, seems to be buggy, and costs twice as much as AVG (more if you compare to AVG AntiVirus and not AntiMalware).

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • Just an FYI. We are not having any issues with updates since they fixed that a few weeks ago.

Otherwise, I do share some of the same concerns about how difficult it is to install (meaning, you are required to install manually. Or technically, you are required to un-install manually the old AV product, thenrun a baseline audit,so that you can then install KES).

We have noticed the slowdown on several computers since running KES. We have also discovered that it is due to the Real-time Anti-spware component.

On the pricing, I do not agree AT ALL that we can sell AV for $60/machine per year. That is a joke. As a matter of fact we are selling it for about $23/machine/year and are having several clients tell us it is WAY to expensive. For one client who is running Trend Micro on about 65 machines, going with KES with us (at $1.95 a machine) would cost them over 1k more than Trend.

And like you said, right now by the time we install KES we are actually losing money because it takes about 30-45mins per machine (sometimes longer). Even if they bring the price down to where I think it should of been ($0.50 to $0.75/machine per month), without having an easy installation proccess we are going to lose money on this.

Which leads me into the our next issue, NO REPORTING. With every other product I can run all kinds of great reports for clients for their AV. KES has no reporting.

Anyway, we went ahead and bought 1000 KES licenses and are betting that Kaseya will make things right over the next couple of months. They have always come through for us and I don't think they will stop now. Though, in 1 year when we are looking at buying another round of KES (maybe sooner),it would be bad ifthe issues and needed features are not there by then.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Can the anti-spyware engine be disabled as a temporary measure until this is addressed? Could maybe use something like spybot for spyware scanning.

We have notice this on the lower spec machines. Newer ones with Xp and 1GB has been fine for us.

Legacy Posted By Username: JTOMKINSON
  • JTOMKINSON wrote:
    Can the anti-spyware engine be disabled as a temporary measure until this is addressed? Could maybe use something like spybot for spyware scanning.

We have notice this on the lower spec machines. Newer ones with Xp and 1GB has been fine for us.

Let me clarify.

There are two major components of a AV product: 1.) Real-time scanning, 2.) On-demand or scheduled scanning.

If you have the Real-Time Anti-Spyware component enabled, you get the slow down. It actually feels like having two anti-virus products on a single computer. Basically, it's dual scanning.

Having the anti-spyware componenent enabled on On-demand or scheduled scanning takes no performance hit on the computer.

So to answer your question, if you are using KES you don't need Spybot. If you were to disable the Real-time Anti-Spyware, you could just pickup the spyware (just like using spybot) doing a scheduled scan.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182