Kaseya Community

Problem with Remote control on Vista workstations

• extremejm wrote:
    Personally I think Kaseya is being passed up by newer products with better features like logmein.com and remotesupport.com.

Kaseya, do you have any plans to have features like the aforementioned products? This in particular would be GREAT.
    http://www.netsupportmanager.com/features.asp

Extremejm, I have been laying low for a while, but still reading everything in this thread. I had to post in order to alert you about netsupport.

That program is a flaming piece of POO!. I used it for years....

I can sum it up in one word... JUNK.

Gamer-X

Legacy Forum Name: Technical Issues,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • BUT man I would like some new features too...

speaking of which.... how many of you ranters/ravers are going to Vegas to meet with the big dogs of Kaseya, and voice your concerns face to face?

I know I am.
    I hope to see you all there.

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • Gamer-X wrote:
    I had to post in order to alert you about netsupport.

That program is a flaming piece of POO!. I used it for years....

I can sum it up in one word... JUNK.

Gamer-X

Thanks GX, I'm not switching yet but I do have some very serious concerns, many of which I haven't posted.

I just think in the whole scheme of things that much of Kaseya could be tightened up and consolidated. I get tired of constantly switching screens.... ah, but I digress.

Things like Hotfixes now have to be manually scheduled since the last hotfix disabled the SMTP engine and ALL remote control (I couldn't even get into the kserver through a back door VNC...) while the previous hotfix hosed us completely (schema didn't apply correctly and because the server is 40 MILES away, it makes it a little difficult to jump on the console...)

These with what's been posted here has me steaming...

XJM

Legacy Posted By Username: extremejm
  • We will be in Vegas looking for some answers too. We host Kaseya for others so any problem with the Kaseya software becomes our problem.

FWIW: I think the breakout sessions will turn into a giant Q&A session. :-D
    Our team will have the following lists with them:

• List of known issues with Vista
    • List of known issues with x64
    • List of API/SDK requirements
    • Kaseya applicationenhancement wishlist
    • 3rd-party integration wishlist
    • List of Kaseya rumors

I know Kaseya is there to push their agenda, but in reality we spent our $1300/person to get these answers. The C-level Kaseya group was at our office recently, but all responseswere 'wait for the conference'.

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • I hate to admit that everytime I look at this thread I get frustrated. 6 months ago a few of us on the forums were making a lot of noise about the lack of Vista support. Everyone jumped all over us saying "It's not released" etc. Then came last November when it was released to some companies and still the response was "don't let your clients install it" & "It's not widely available until Jan 31st".

Here we are - rolling into April and Vista support is lacking. Finally, finally! Everyone is onboard with this being an important issue.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I disagree that Kaseya is poorly supported. My personal experience has been otherwise.

This MSP space is hot right now and hopefully we've picked the right horse and hopefully Kaseya has it's eye on the market and is working hard to stay on top.

I looked at n-able and Level Platforms and Saaz. I still like Kaseya better. But these companies as well as many others are adding features and capabilities quickly and it is really a moving target.

I believe that Kaseya has responded to both support requests and enhancement requests in a responsible manner.

Remote control is a small part of the equation. If you need a remote support tool, then Kaseya is a the wrong tool. Or maybe on this one issue you need to invest the $15/mo or whatever it is to support the vista machines with Go to Assist or something until Kaseya resolves the VNC issue with Vista.

Legacy Posted By Username: rvines
  • rvines wrote:
    I disagree that Kaseya is poorly supported. My personal experience has been otherwise.

This MSP space is hot right now and hopefully we've picked the right horse and hopefully Kaseya has it's eye on the market and is working hard to stay on top.

I looked at n-able and Level Platforms and Saaz. I still like Kaseya better. But these companies as well as many others are adding features and capabilities quickly and it is really a moving target.

I believe that Kaseya has responded to both support requests and enhancement requests in a responsible manner.

Remote control is a small part of the equation. If you need a remote support tool, then Kaseya is a the wrong tool. Or maybe on this one issue you need to invest the $15/mo or whatever it is to support the vista machines with Go to Assist or something until Kaseya resolves the VNC issue with Vista.

If somehow I made it sound like kaseya is poorly support, please accept my apology in misscommunication. Kaseya is the best optionfor us in software, support, and vendor relationship. We consider Kaseya one of our best business partners.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • So I should to buy *another*tool for remote support of Vista machines? Open another program?

I was sold on Kaseya as a "Total Solution" and part of it was the remote support. How can this STILL be a problem? Why doesn't Kaseya respond on these forums? It reallylooks bad.

Legacy Posted By Username: akus1
  • akus1 wrote:
    So I should to buy *another*tool for remote support of Vista machines? Open another program?

I was sold on Kaseya as a "Total Solution" and part of it was the remote support. How can this STILL be a problem? Why doesn't Kaseya respond on these forums? It reallylooks bad.

I guess in my case, Vista remote support is the least of my worries. How many Vista Machines are you supporting?

Legacy Posted By Username: rvines
  • How many am I supporting remotely with Kaseya? None.

How many amI trying tosupport currently and having to make excuses for - three. I know there are other options to support them remotely and it's "only three", right now, but that's not the point.

Note forthose new to this- There is another Kaseya forum thread on this issue where folks are following this problem. It is called "Disable UAC in Vista" but as of today there is still no solution.

Legacy Posted By Username: akus1
  • Sorry to sound naive, but is the only downside to using Terminal Services remote control method with Vista the fact that the end user gets locked out during the session? This is the only difference I found when comparing the two.

-Ed

• The big problems withTS/RDP instead of VCN are:

1) No shared control - so it can't be viewed simultaneously with the user which makes troubleshooting MUCH more difficult if the user can't see what we see to help explain their problem.

2) But the BIGGEST issue is that if the user is already logged in, you can't take control of their desktop without KILLING their session and losing any open files that they were working on.

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • After further testing with RDP and Vista:

1. It is true that the user gets locked out during the session preventing shared control

2. It is still possible to get to the user's console by setting "Console mode" for Terminal Server Options in Set Parameters on KServer

3. If in console mode, after you are done controlling the user's session, if you disconnect without logging off, the user can still log back into their preserved session.

Another major problem is that you need to know the user's account password to control their session.

• Our security policy (and any decent security policy ever written) does not allow us to ask or know end user passwords.

Also, I believe that Kaseya specifically recommends AGAINST using the console function on XP systems and only says to do it on servers. It can cause some major problems, they've said in the past. I don't know if that still applies to Vista as well, but I'd be careful...

• Is there any update on actually getting Vista support for normal VNC remote control through Kaseya?

This is really getting ridiculous...

:-X