Kaseya Community

Problem with Remote control on Vista workstations

• true... I guess what I was trying to say is that I am not at all convinced that the problem is a Kaseya problem. I have the client running just fine on 3 Vista machines.

From my experience thus far... its a Vista problem.

Gamer-X

and no offense taken. Smile

Legacy Forum Name: Technical Issues,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • Gamer-X,

Well, just to clarify the technical situation. The agent itself, once installed, works fine. The issue is with remote control - both Video Streaming and agent-based Remote Control.

There are two separate issues:

1) Video Streaming does not work to connect to Vista machines. We've tried the privilege escalation for the web browser and we're still trying some other work arounds that Kaseya support has suggested. But none of them work for us yet, and it should be EASY, not a convoluted set of instructions or caveats. For comparison purposes, LogMeIn's IT Rescue (their on-deman equivalent of Video Streaming) works like a charm without a bunch of headaches. So there is nothing inherently wrong with Vista that won't allow on-demand remote control to work. There are technical problems that Kaseya should have resolved months ago since the core technology behind Vista has not changed much since the last beta.

2) Once the Kaseya agent is installed on a Vista machine, it only allows terminal services/remote desktop-style connections. As anyone who has used that method knows, it is an AWFUL method for remote controlling desktops because it won't let you take over the "console" of the computer, it forces you to re-login and kick out whoever is already connected. Again, the regular LogMeIn client works fine for remote controlling a Vista machine, so Vista is not the problem. Kaseya needs to fix/change its technology so that it can work in the same fashion as we have used on all pre-Vista operating systems.

Far182,

Did I miss anything?

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • kentschu wrote:
    Gamer-X,

Well, just to clarify the technical situation. The agent itself, once installed, works fine. The issue is with remote control - both Video Streaming and agent-based Remote Control.

There are two separate issues:

1) Video Streaming does not work to connect to Vista machines. We've tried the privilege escalation for the web browser and we're still trying some other work arounds that Kaseya support has suggested. But none of them work for us yet, and it should be EASY, not a convoluted set of instructions or caveats. For comparison purposes, LogMeIn's IT Rescue (their on-deman equivalent of Video Streaming) works like a charm without a bunch of headaches. So there is nothing inherently wrong with Vista that won't allow on-demand remote control to work. There are technical problems that Kaseya should have resolved months ago since the core technology behind Vista has not changed much since the last beta.

2) Once the Kaseya agent is installed on a Vista machine, it only allows terminal services/remote desktop-style connections. As anyone who has used that method knows, it is an AWFUL method for remote controlling desktops because it won't let you take over the "console" of the computer, it forces you to re-login and kick out whoever is already connected. Again, the regular LogMeIn client works fine for remote controlling a Vista machine, so Vista is not the problem. Kaseya needs to fix/change its technology so that it can work in the same fashion as we have used on all pre-Vista operating systems.

Far182,

Did I miss anything?

Nope, you said it perfectly so I didn't have too. Gamer-x, I do enjoy your posts on these forums. I do like your style, and you are very interesting.

One more detai lto add to everything kentchu said:

We work in a VERY competitive environment. While you might like to put strict support parameters around your clients, here in silicon valley its not that easy. There are 1000's of IT companies waiting for us to fail. Not that Vista is going to make or break our relationships either.

Also, the "Vista" excuse is not somthing I agree with at all. I have said this and I will continue to say it, we are finding most things are compatible. We manage thousands of endpoints and we have tested MANY applictions. Vista is working out much better than the "doom and gloom" situation you decribe.

Also, every other remote control product (the kind you pay for) that I know of support Vista without a hitch. Why? Because they were developing and testing their product on Vista MONTHS and MONTHS ago. LogMeIn, GotoMyPC, GotoMeeting, EasyAssist, Live Meeting, and many more products work without a hitch in Vista.

Also, the Kaseya core functionality beyond just remote control is not good as well. Patching isn't working right, scripts take FOREVER as in 10's of minutes to run for no apparent reason. don't believe me - run a simple script where all it does is make a pop-up message to your Vista machine and see how long that takes.

Don't get me wrong - we love Kaseya. We are active beta testers, I talk to the founders of Kaseya at least twice a month, and work with many of the devs on a constant basis. I have done co-sales calls helping them close deals even. I would say they are our very best parter. Nevertheless, I am grumpy about this Vista situation and how it was handled. I know you think otherwise, but it's my opinion that these Vista issues could of been completely avoided. There is little exuse that they weren't.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Has anyone heard anything from Kaseya on this topic?

Kaseya forum members have become awfully silent in the last month or two...

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • Just an FYI we were having issues with the chat and pop up message sent from Kaseya along with patches not being installed and Vista going into a loop because the patch would not stick. Found that turning off user account control (UAC) in control panel under user accounts allows Kaseya to perform the functions. This is all we have found so far this is on a Vista Ulitmate and Business editions. Good luck to all!!

Legacy Posted By Username: svargas
  • We could have an entire chat forum dedicated to Vista and the various problems we're all having with it. I would certainly welcome one since this isn't going away.

I did note that Kaseya has been suspiciously absent from replying to any of these posts other than raybarber that responded initially only to tell us something we've already discovered (unfortunately).

I'm going to come off as anti-Kaseya (yes Gamer-X) but I must agree with the majority here. We all paid a lot of money (and continue to pay in support) for this product and quite frankly it's being overshadowed by newer products offering much better features for the price.

For a company that had the edge, Kaseya is quickly losing it. I for one want to know what is going to be done. Period. After the IE7 auto-upgrade, and now Vista, I'm standing here with a crazed look, a bunny in one hand and a pot in the other...

XJM

PS. Another interesting "feature"... if you have notify set when you remote into a machine, every time you remote into the machine it sends the notify to the CONSOLE so when the user finally logs in they get a barrage of " is about to remote control your machine..." and " has logged off your machine." Nice.

Legacy Posted By Username: extremejm
  • Just so everyone knows, here was my response from Kaseya:

Author: rmemisyazici
    Date: 3:10:29 pm 13-Mar-07
    Hello:

I have just received the following word regarding your 2nd question:

"#2 refers to the need for VNC free edition to incorporate support for Vista. That work is in progress by the RealVNC team, however there is still no estimated time for release."

Sincerely,
    Aras "Russ" Memisyazici

Looks like our expensive product can only rely on the FREE version of software. Mind you all we were told that Kaseya had their OWN version of VNC that they added encryption to, etc. So if that statement were true, why couldn't Kaseya change the version they have so it would work on Vista.

I'm pretty upset now knowing that we were obviously mislead and that it's obviously NOT the case. Kaseya just relies on a free version of software available to anyone. Knowing this begs the question "If Kaseya knew that VNC wouldn't be making a version available for VISTA for free by the time Vista was released, why didn't they TELL US.

• In the same vein, I am using a Vista box as my PC. Best way to learn it is use it. However, I cannot even start a Video streaming session. "RegCreateKeyEx: Access is denied.(5)"

Now if I log off my account, which is a computer administrator account, and log in with the administrator account, I can start a Video Streaming Session and control another PC. How can I fix this? I realize it is a Vista/Microsoft question, but I am hoping to find someone here that can tell me how to fix it.

Please don't suggest that I just log in as the administrator. Not only is that a bad idea, you shouldn't have to do that.

Legacy Posted By Username: mbtimmons
  • You have to open Internet Explorer w/ Administrator Privileges the first time you run a remote control session ... ie - right click IE and choose run as Administrator ... then go remote control something ... VNC will install the way it is supposed to ... then close IE and open it normally and go remote control something and it will work !!!

Legacy Posted By Username: tom@tbkconsulting.biz
  • Vista is coming, like it or not. Virtually every new client bought desktop will come with Vista, andI for one am not going to tell a client I can't support his brand new PC. I may charge him extra, but that is the opposite of telling a client I can't provide the service that is the fundemental premise of my business.

I don't care if it's VNC, XTC, or KGB, if Kaseya does not engineer success with this remote control issue, I will explore other software packages, period. Also, I wish they would solve the issue that prevents the secure zone from being installed on Dell PCs considering they are the largest PC manufacturer in the world. Considering that the Acronis issue has been around for months and is still not resolved, I am going to call my sales rep later today and find out what else is out there.

These are not small issues, these issues have a very real and measurable impact on my business and I am running out of room and patiencefor that.

Also, the lack of active participation by Kaseya in these discussion is infuriating, and this forum software is literally the worst I have ever seen.

The new Kaseya website sure looks spiffy though.

/rant off

Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M
  • Personally I think Kaseya is being passed up by newer products with better features like logmein.com and remotesupport.com.

Kaseya, do you have any plans to have features like the aforementioned products? This in particular would be GREAT.
    http://www.netsupportmanager.com/features.asp

• I agree with extreemjm and Allen M completely. This vista issue among others including the branding issue, Kaseya taking our clients, and the lack up Kaseya input in a topic soimportant is really putting Kaseya in a bad light. I guess they will have to lose customers to realize just how important we are. I too am seriously looking into other products.

To speak to the point of the free/paid VNC remote access issue. Whatever the solution is it better not be a paid add-on.

To speak to the issue of charging a client more money to manage certain machines (in my opinion), can gives your clients 2 views:

1. That this total solution (Managed services) that you offered is not really a total solution.

2. That YOUR Company did not properly test Vista and maybe YOUR IT firm is not keeping up with the current technology.

The ramifications of this vista issue can go far beyond just a remote desktop issue. It will soon become a business integrity issue that will affect YOURbusiness.

As to the point of an interim solution like log-me-in or others. Why do WE need to come up with interim solutions (that’s what WE pay Kaseya for).

I apologize if I have offended anyone. I am only looking at it from a business perspective. I paid and continue to pay for a solution and I expect just that (period).

Legacy Posted By Username: Kcbrownlee
  • I don't worry about Kaseya taking my clients.

I worry about my competitors taking my clients.

Legacy Posted By Username: rvines
  • rvines wrote:
    I don't worry about Kaseya taking my clients.

Using a product to support your clients that is poorly supported helps your competitors do just that.

• rvines wrote:
    I don't worry about Kaseya taking my clients.

Using a product to support your clients that is poorly supported will let your competitors do just that.