Kaseya Community

execute shell command() "No approved shell commands"

• We can run shell commands from service desk anymore?

Did anyone else use this besides me? It was kind of critical to us.

• can't*

• Shell commands need to be configured via an XML file.  Please see the Service Desk online help for details: help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm

• You will need to place an xml file in the following folder

C:\Kaseya\xml\SDProcShellCommand\0

Note that existing commands should continue to work . it only becomes an issue if you try and edit one of them.

The other point to note is that the Help specifies the following format with outputvariable as Optional :

<shellCommandDef label="Shell Command 2" commandToExecute="echo hello" waitForCompletion="true" sendOutputToLog="true" outputFile="c:\temp\fromcmd2.log" outputVariable="" />

So 2 things to note

1) What I have found is that unless you specify a variable the command will fail

I've logged a ticket re this so it should get resolved , but in the interim just put some varname in as the outputVariable.

2) And if your command string needs to include any Double quotes

e.g

Echo “This is a test message”

you will need to format the actual command as :

Echo "This is a test message"  

Cheers

Paul

[edited by: Paul Haaker at 2:02 PM (GMT -7) on Apr 22, 2013] Typo
  • Thanks, I missed that memo.

• 2.PNG

That last post of mine wasn't so clear on what I meant by double quotes

You need to do this as per the attached image

• My issue is that i can't find the folder directory C:\Kaseya\xml\SDProcShellCommand\0 .

should i create the directory manually or this is directory already exist?

Thanks.

• I get the need to configure the xml to approve the script, but I cannot see any provision to pass a variable to the script. This seems like a fairly basic requirement but can anyone confirm if this is this possible? (And if so, how?)

• Any variable you decare in the SD procedure  , or any standard SD Ticket Variable can be usdcan be used

e.g.

HEre I have decvalred 2 variables in my SD PRocedure [=starttime=] and [=endtime=] and have just used then in my xml as below.

<shellCommandDef label="GetTimeDiff" commandToExecute="cscript.exe //nologo c:\kworking\sdtime.vbs [=starttime=] [=endtime=]" waitForCompletion="true" sendOutputToLog="false" outputFile="" outputVariable="TimeDiff" />

The result of the above command is then returned as a new variable called "TimeDiff"   which I can then use in the SD Procedure as either #TimeDiff# if being used in an IF statement , or as [=TimeDiff=] if using the actual value

Paul

• Thanks Paul, that is perfect.