Kaseya Community

9.3 Upgrade from 9.2

This question is answered

A lot has been made of the issues encountered when upgrading to 9.3.  We've held off, but I'm eager to start using 9.3.  For those of you on 9.3 would you suggest going ahead and upgrading, or would you suggest we keep waiting?  Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • There's a lot to say about it, but it really depends.

In general 9.3 isn't worse than 9.2 or a lot better for that matter. It has some newer technology that might help you. The new Live Connect could be a feature you might enjoy. For us it's been so-so and we still use the old one since we had some connection problems and are missing some old options in the new Live Connect.  That was on patch 9.3.0.17 and recently 9.3.0.19 came out, so we're testing that next week.

The new KAV module does present a real step forward. A completely different communication stack is used, replacing Micosoft Message Queues, that makes it a lot faster on actions and more reliable. Currently logging is rather absent for actions you do and the kworking\kav folder isn't used anymore, that will take away some info you're used to seeing and maybe using. The new KAV module also gives you a lot more profile settings, making profiles more flexible and manageable.

Last point is, fixes and changes tend to come out a lot sooner on 9.3, at least up until now. So, in general it does make sense. Hope this helps....

• I've updated us to 9.3.0.22, and holy cow am I liking Live Connect now.  I haven't used Live Connect in quite some time since it was always crashing on me.  I've had a couple of disconnects, but internally on our LAN the connection is quick (~5 seconds), and to a remote location running off T1 it took about 7 seconds to connect.  Other pages so far seem a bit faster.  Now I'm wishing I didn't wait so long to take the plunge.

All Replies
  • And if you've upgraded from 9.2 to 9,3 and are using KAV, did you experience any pain with agent upgrades (hanging and not reconnecting) and with moving from KAV classic to KAV?

• There's a lot to say about it, but it really depends.

In general 9.3 isn't worse than 9.2 or a lot better for that matter. It has some newer technology that might help you. The new Live Connect could be a feature you might enjoy. For us it's been so-so and we still use the old one since we had some connection problems and are missing some old options in the new Live Connect.  That was on patch 9.3.0.17 and recently 9.3.0.19 came out, so we're testing that next week.

The new KAV module does present a real step forward. A completely different communication stack is used, replacing Micosoft Message Queues, that makes it a lot faster on actions and more reliable. Currently logging is rather absent for actions you do and the kworking\kav folder isn't used anymore, that will take away some info you're used to seeing and maybe using. The new KAV module also gives you a lot more profile settings, making profiles more flexible and manageable.

Last point is, fixes and changes tend to come out a lot sooner on 9.3, at least up until now. So, in general it does make sense. Hope this helps....

• I've updated us to 9.3.0.22, and holy cow am I liking Live Connect now.  I haven't used Live Connect in quite some time since it was always crashing on me.  I've had a couple of disconnects, but internally on our LAN the connection is quick (~5 seconds), and to a remote location running off T1 it took about 7 seconds to connect.  Other pages so far seem a bit faster.  Now I'm wishing I didn't wait so long to take the plunge.

• About 20/180 of my agent upgrades failed.  I re-ran the update 3 times, and eventually it took care of all the failures.  I upgraded this morning, and right now I have literally nothing negative to say about 9.3.  Live Connect, which I haven't used in a long time because it was always crashing on me or not connecting, has been rock solid.

From my point of view bravo, Kaseya, on the redesigned Live Connect.  It's fast (~3-5 seconds to connect on our LAN, ~7-10 seconds to connect to remote locations running off T1).  I have yet to have a session crash on me, and it just looks amazing.  I may actually start using Live Connect again.

I also like that you can log directly into Live Connect by launching KaseyaLiveConnect.exe.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) we're not using KAV so I can't answer as to how it performs, but so far my experience has been extremely positive.