Kaseya Community

VSA with an Amazon RDS backed database

This question is answered

I know based on forum threads and in-person conversations I've had with people at Connect, there are a number of other customers out there that run their VSA in Amazon EC2.  We have been doing so without any issues, and have never gotten any eyebrows from Kaseya support.

However, due to compliance/security reasons we are looking at the possibility of moving the database off the VSAs EC2 instance and into Amazon RDS.

My question is two parts.  Has anyone attempted this or successfully done so?  The second question is, have you ever had any issues getting support from Kaseya in this configuration?

I'm very confident we could get everything running in the spit configuration without any issues, I just don't want to get denied support down the road because we are running our VSA in a less-common configuration.  If anyone from Kaseya could weigh in here as well that would be excellent.

Verified Answer
  •  

I have been testing RDS using an AWS instance with  internally.

Unfortunately, we do not see an easy way to migrate/install the SQL Database to Amazon RDS at this time.

This is inherently due to the restrictions amazon places on Microsoft SQL in Amazon RDS and the requirement of the Kaseya VSA has to have a 'db_owner' level privileges for the SQL login, among other privilege issues.

I think it may be best if we get a feature request created on this. If/when you do create one, please provide the link to the feature request in the thread.

All Replies
  • Hey  

If no members of the community get a response to you on this, I will follow up.

I am not sure at this point if any customers are actually implementing AWS in this fashion, but it would be interesting to verify.

We (Kaseya) internally have several servers running in AWS, however I am not sure if we are utilizing this functionality in the manner you described. (RDS)

It will take me some time to verify if this will be supported and function correctly, but I will follow up with you.

Feel free to pm / email me directly if you have a concern about the timeline.

Best,

Nicolas

• Thanks Nicolas.  I'm hoping to have an answer, or be on a strong path to an answer, by sometime next week.

• I worked around the inability for "sa" to enable CLR by modifying settings in the RDS instance; however, after about 6 hours of testing, I came to the conclusion that the more-limited rights afforded to the "sa" user by RDS was causing us to end up dead in the water.  Screenshot of how far I'd gotten (click to expand):

If you do get this to work, please let me know!  Smile

• did you have any luck asking about this internally?

•  

Hey Andrew, I did ask around internally and we do not use RDS on any instance.

At this point, I have been working on implementing it on my test server which already lives in AWS.

I have not had a chance to get it brought over into RDS just yet.

When I get more information on my progress I will update this thread, I have not forgotten about this. Smile

Best,

Nicolas

•  

I have been testing RDS using an AWS instance with  internally.

Unfortunately, we do not see an easy way to migrate/install the SQL Database to Amazon RDS at this time.

This is inherently due to the restrictions amazon places on Microsoft SQL in Amazon RDS and the requirement of the Kaseya VSA has to have a 'db_owner' level privileges for the SQL login, among other privilege issues.

I think it may be best if we get a feature request created on this. If/when you do create one, please provide the link to the feature request in the thread.