Kaseya Community

User interface

• As a new user to kaseya me and everyone else at my company are finding the interface very clunky

we are finding we have to click from page to page and back again to get the tasks completed or make changes.

when installing softwareor uploading files the most information you get is "pending" you dont get 5% uploaded or anything like that.

the pages often dont have all the information you need to do the task. Kaseya provides fantastic functionality but i am finding the front end lacking usablilty.

does this get easier?

will there be any significant upgrades to the user interface?

Legacy Forum Name: User interface,
    Legacy Posted By Username: matt82
  • Does it get easier? Oh yes, it will certainly get easier. I felf the same way a year ago. I still agree that the interface is not the slickest, but once you get used to it you can get a lot of work done quickly.

I recently evaluated some other tools that looked a LOT better on the surface, but were much less efficient IMHO.

Be sure to leverage the ability to create custom views to group machines to to tasks. I find views one of the most important interface options that Kaseya offers.

Does it matter if you have a % indicator when uploading files? Schedule the software to deploy and move on to the next task. If you are watching a progress bar for software installation you are missing the point of using the tools. Let them do the work while you have a beer!

David Wertz

PC Works Plus

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: DaveW
  • Been a longtime user (several years).

I'm not a huge fan of web interfaces in the first place. I hate waiting 10 seconds, 20 seconds, or even longer when trying to switch screens at time. I hate the "one thing at a time" of web interfaces.

Do I "lose" things in Kaseya? Yup. To make things "better" and to add new features, some features are often moved around. Monitoring is the worst in that respect.

But that said, I don't really see that much truly "wrong" with Kaseya's interface. If you get used to where things are and know your way around it, before too long, you'll not even think about the interface... until you mentioned it, I never really thought about it much.

Yeah, there are some stupidities, like the alarm "desktop" showing highlights by date of alarm, not status. So a closed alarm from today is in red, while an overdue open alarm from two days ago is in white. Makes no sense.

But overall, yeah, you'll get used to how things are done and yeah, it will wind up being pretty easy to navigate.

As to the % indicator, I'd love to have some sort of indication of how a file is transferring or how a script is doing. No, I wouldn't be sitting and watching it (yeah, that kinda defeats the purpose of a tool like Kaseya) but if I go back 10 or 15 minutes later and something hasn't completed, I'd like to be able to get SOME idea of what's going on with it.

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • warever wrote:
    ..... I hate waiting 10 seconds, 20 seconds, or even longer when trying to switch screens at time........

Sounds like your server might be a little underpowered or you have an enormous amount of clients checking in.

David Wertz

• I've got 250 licenses, most of which are used, which isn't considered a lot.

The server isn't GREAT, but it isn't really BAD, either.

It is a P4, 3.06 GHz with HT on an 865 motherboard. Yeah, desktop board. Has 2G of RAM - which SHOULD be plenty but I may try to upgrade soon. Funny, Kaseya says it has 2G of RAM but on the system info tab, it shows 512 Megs in each of 2 banks (and I KNOW it is more than that). It has two Seagate ST380811 40G hard drives - I think SATA - and mirrored via Windows. Running Windows Server 2003. There are a couple of other web sites on it that get about a hit a day average. And that's it.

Like I said, not GREAT, but not BAD for only 250 agents.

And even just now, I went to the page, got the header and the left side options, and then waited perhaps 10 seconds for the username and password prompt to appear. Sometimes, things are fast, sometimes, they're that slow.

• We have 1206 clients running right now. It doesn't matter what we do it is almost instant. Now I did just upgrade froma 2.8Ghz machine with two RAID 1 sets and 2GB RAM. We were really starting to see some performance issues, especially when moving machines between groups.

The new machine is a Dell 2950, 2xDual Core Xeon's, 8G RAM and six 15K SAS drives in a RAID 10. I wanted to get the hardware upgraded now instead of later. I am really glad I did. The new server doesn't even break a sweat!

David Wertz

• warever:

Are you running SQL on the same box? Thats setup does seem a bit underpowered for even 250.

Your CPU should be fine but themain performance bottleneck for Kaseya isalmost alwaysI/O and running a webserver and SQL on two software-mirrored 7200rpm drives might be enough to cause the delays you are having. Disk queue length and Disk idle time counters might point this out.I wouldalso check the RAM usage. SQL might be taking it all for itself and starving the other apps.

DaveW:

Nice setup. Do you keep everything on a RAID 10 or a separate RAID 1 for the OS?

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • bellcpa wrote:
    DaveW:

Nice setup. Do you keep everything on a RAID 10 or a separate RAID 1 for the OS?

-Ed

Everything is on the RAID 10. I was considering a RAID 1 for the OS, but just decided to create 2 partitions on the one logical drive. I just made the non-technical assumption that having six drives in the RAID 10 array would be roughly the same performance as having a RAID 1 and RAID 10 array due to the way the drives are split in the 2950 (3 drives per channel). I didn't take the time to make any performance tests between the different setups, but I am very happy with the current performance.

David Wertz

• Imported Empty Post

Legacy Posted By Username: espeer
  • We learned in Vegas last year from the CEO that Kaseya will receive a facelift in 5.0. The interface does make sensemost of the time. It just takes a little bit to understand the logic behind where everything is placed. Some of the refreshing necessary does get annoying sometimes though. I find it a problem with backups. I'd love to see progress bars or something similar. -E

• Yes the reason i think a status or % complete would be good is not so i can sit there and watch what is going on but so when i come back to a screen i can see where things are up to not just a pending

oh and espeer did they give you some indication of when version 5.0 will be comming

• That would be better answered by Jim Alves or one the other Kaseya personnel. My guess is that they'd wait until next years Kaseya Conference so it will have a spectacular introduction.

I wonder what today's release holds for us. -E

• My understanding is that today isn't a new RELEASE but rather just a HOTFIX (which often happens without notice). It is supposed to include a new patch engine but that's it.

Supposedly by the end of October (though I'm guess they're going to miss that target since it is only a couple of days away), they're going to have an API. I haven't heard any announcement on that yet.

5.0 was originally supposed to be out by the end of the year... originally by the end of the 3rd quarter from what I recall. I'm not Kaseya (obviously) so I can't say when, but from what I've heard here and there, I'm guessing probably either at the very end of this year or more likely sometime in the 1st quarter.

Yeah, I'm anxious to get all the new toys and changes, but frankly, I'd rather they WORKED and have to wait longer than getting them sooner and have things not work.

• totally agreed

oh btw ppl is there a way of opening moreone screen at a time other than having multiple logins.

It would be fantastic to be able to do more than one thing at once...

maybe they will do this in 5.0

• I usually just CTRL-N in IE and do whatever I need to on a different tab. I don't have to reauthenticate or anything. -E