Kaseya Community

Windows 2003 SP2 is out, any takers?

• Anyone worked with this yet?

Here is the link for those brave souls.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=95ac1610-c232-4644-b828-c55eec605d55&DisplayLang=en

Legacy Forum Name: Windows 2003 SP2 is out, any takers?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: beedsley
  • Inquiring minds want to know. :-D

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • I am installing it now ... cleanly, as I was having speed issues with my server from update over update over update anyhow, will let you know how everything runs after I finish the reinstallation of everything.

Legacy Posted By Username: tom@tbkconsulting.biz
  • FYI, the official Kaseya word:

"WARNING: Microsoft has released Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2. It was supposed to have been posted as an optional update on Windows Update, but it is appearing as a high priority update. There have been reports that servers having Windows Automatic Update configured to automatically install updates have resulted in SP2 being inadvertently installed. Kaseya will include detection logic for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 within the next week. Due to prerequisites for installing SP2 (such as uninstalling IE7 before installing SP2), we will treat this as a manual install. Customers are urged to read all appropriate Microsoft documentation before deploying SP2. See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sp2.mspx."

• One of my guys did an auto update on a terminal server today. He didn't look at the contents and accidentally installed SP2. Thankfully, everything is operating normally.

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • Yikes! Good thing it worked out.

• It worked out fine - just remember to either NOT install IE7 before doing this update (it stalls out and does not give any reason for the update failure) or uninstall IE7 before applying this patch ...

As for Kaseya, nothing major I have noticed as of yet while working with it ....

Legacy Posted By Username: tom@tbkconsulting.biz
  • Found this in the SP2 release notes

You do not need to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 prior to installing Windows Server 2003 SP2.

If you have previously installed Internet Explorer 7 on a computer running Windows Server 2003 with SP1 and are now installing Windows Server 2003 SP2 using Microsoft Update, the downloadable SP2 update from the Microsoft Download Center, or the SP2 update CD, your computer will retain Internet Explorer 7 as expected.

If you have previously installed Internet Explorer 7 on a computer running Windows Server 2003 with SP1 and are now installing the integrated version of Windows Server 2003 SP2 (that is, the full operating system integrated with the service pack), the computer will have Internet Explorer 6 as the default browser in Windows Server 2003 SP2. You will need to reinstall Internet Explorer 7.

Is there some other known or unknown issue on IE7 2003 servers?

Legacy Posted By Username: BenT
  • So far so good; I've installed it on 25 servers (2003, R2, both 32 and x64) without any issues. I have avoided TS and Metaframe servers until now.

From my interpretation it's less like SP1 and more like a security rollup. There aren't too many new features.

Legacy Posted By Username: bpenland
  • I too have installed SP2 on eight servers without any problems.

I did not uninstall IE7, I dont think that is an issue anymore.

Legacy Posted By Username: dbkern