Kaseya Community

True Software Asset Management

• Now that we've gotten some of the much-needed security enhancements (i.e. remote control) implemented in 4.7. And now that the Add/remove programs info is part of the kaseya software asset gathering process. I'd like to officially ask when Kaseya will providing true software asset management?

Here isour definition -in other words, the things that Kaseya is currently lacking that are included in all other software asset management programs we've worked with:

1) Ability to manage a list of applications per customer. So, in Kaseya language,we should be able to see a consolidated list of applications found in the Add/Remove Programs for all systems under a given machine group. This list should be editable so thatwe can add a software title even if it hasn't been officially found yet. Andwe can edit the name of the applications that are found- as well as mark certain applications as subsets of other applications.

2) For each application in the consolidated list by machine group mentioned in #1, we should be able to set the application to one of the following settings: Free/Ignore, Individually Licensed, Enterprise Licensed.

3) For each application in the consolidated list by machine group that is listed as Individually Licensed or Enterprise Licensed, we should be able to edit the following things:# of licenses purchased/owned by that machine group, purchase date(s), license key #s, comments. It is best to actually make these "transaction" entries so that each purchase can be entered as a transaction. But if it's easier, just a summary set of info would be better than nothing. This will provide true software asset management, not the faux asset management that exists today.

4) Reports should compare the actual number of licenses entered versus the number instances found. Free/Ignored items should simply be ignored. This will produce an actual useful software licensing report.

I had been told last year that these types of features were coming in 4.7. Since they didn't make it, I hope they are coming in 4.8 or whatever is next.

Any news or feedback on this topic?

Legacy Forum Name: True Software Asset Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • kentschu wrote:
    Now that we've gotten some of the much-needed security enhancements (i.e. remote control) implemented in 4.7. And now that the Add/remove programs info is part of the kaseya software asset gathering process. I'd like to officially ask when Kaseya will providing true software asset management?

Here isour definition -in other words, the things that Kaseya is currently lacking that are included in all other software asset management programs we've worked with:

1) Ability to manage a list of applications per customer. So, in Kaseya language,we should be able to see a consolidated list of applications found in the Add/Remove Programs for all systems under a given machine group. This list should be editable so thatwe can add a software title even if it hasn't been officially found yet. Andwe can edit the name of the applications that are found- as well as mark certain applications as subsets of other applications.

2) For each application in the consolidated list by machine group mentioned in #1, we should be able to set the application to one of the following settings: Free/Ignore, Individually Licensed, Enterprise Licensed.

3) For each application in the consolidated list by machine group that is listed as Individually Licensed or Enterprise Licensed, we should be able to edit the following things:# of licenses purchased/owned by that machine group, purchase date(s), license key #s, comments. It is best to actually make these "transaction" entries so that each purchase can be entered as a transaction. But if it's easier, just a summary set of info would be better than nothing. This will provide true software asset management, not the faux asset management that exists today.

4) Reports should compare the actual number of licenses entered versus the number instances found. Free/Ignored items should simply be ignored. This will produce an actual useful software licensing report.

I had been told last year that these types of features were coming in 4.7. Since they didn't make it, I hope they are coming in 4.8 or whatever is next.

Any news or feedback on this topic?

Copy what he said. ^^

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I'll ditto that.

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • Has anyone heard news (beyond mere rumors)about the upcoming development roadmap?

I know there are new modules in the works. But I'd really like Kaseya to give some indication if they plan an update to address software asset management in the near future.

Software compliance is a big issue with many of our clients, who desperately want to stay legal but we don't give them (or ourselves) easy tools to do so...

• I will ask yet again for Kaseya to provide some insight into their future roadmap related to this topic.

• Thirded (fourthed?)

This would be amazingly useful functionality, and we'd love to see something like it.

Legacy Posted By Username: agilitynetworks