Kaseya Community

Auto Database backup failing after update

• Has anyone noticed that the automatice database backup through Kaseya is failing? After some checking it has been failing since the update. I run SQL 2005 on Server 2003.

This is the error I get:

Database backup failed ([Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired)

Anyone?

Spread the Good Word,

Marty

Legacy Forum Name: Auto Database backup failing after update,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • Hmm, looks like we're still getting our nightly Kaseya backups of the db.

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • Working OK here as well.

gordon

Legacy Posted By Username: gordonc
  • I got the same previously error on my last Kaseya backup job. Checking the log the past two backups completed ok. I just forced a backup and it too gave the same error message. What gives Kaseya?

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Im getting that error as well...

Legacy Posted By Username: cberger
  • connectex wrote:
    I got the same previously error on my last Kaseya backup job. Checking the log the past two backups completed ok. I just forced a backup and it too gave the same error message. What gives Kaseya?

What happens if you run the backup from within sql management studio?

gordon

• In SQL the backups work fine.

Spread the Good Word,

Marty

• Guys,

How doyou check the auto database backup in Kaseya?

We have Kaseya installed to use the installed SQL Server 2005 on a Win 2003 server.

Also, this is the first time I've checked buton our Kaseya server I don' t see the SQLServer 2005 databases and maintenance dialogs like I'm used to seeing. I can't find the databases or the backup and maintenace dialogsSad. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Ray

Legacy Posted By Username: akus1
  • sql_screen.jpg
    Attached is a screen shot of what I'm seeing..

Legacy Posted By Username: akus1
  • I think Kaseya schedules its own backups, rather than using the sql server agent. Given it runs on SQL Express 2005 and creates backups, this further strengthens this observation.

If you run SQL Express Studio (or whatever it's called), start a query, switch to the msdb database and run sp_help_job it'll probably return nothing.

What I don't yet know is whether SQL Express Studio can process scheduled jobs added via t-sql. I suspect not given the lack of SQL Agent Service.

If you are running on SQL 2005 (non express), I'd be looking to disable the Kaseya backup and replace it with a more agressive SQL Agent based one (including transaction log dumps etc).

gordon

• Some info on this problem from my end:

Support looked at my problem. They "found no problem" on my server, but, it was doing the same thing on the support persons test machine so they are going to take it to engineering to see if it is a bug.

God Bless,

Marty

• Regarding transaction log dumps:

Kaseya SQL DB is by default is set to SIMPLE recovery model that truncates transaction logs on checkpoint making transaction log useless for point-in-time restores. Support said this iswas design. We tried changing the model to FULL at one time and the log size exploadedto fill our 62gb drive in under3 hrs while the DB size was under 2gb so I guess thiswould explain the choice for SIMPLE. This might have to do with the chatty nature of the database.

Also, I was wondering if anyone not using Kaseya's built-in backup wasperforming any periodic SQL maintenance on theKaseya DB (e.g. reindexing for performance)? Kaseya support told me that this takes place automatically for built-in backups but we schedule our own jobs and recently I checked index frgmentation on some of the large tables and found it to be extreme (over 50% logical in some cases). I ran a manual DBCC DBREINDEX and now everything is nice and clean although with a substantial DB size jump. Will now soon whether this improved performance.

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • bellcpa,

Since all this has been happening we decided today to forgo the automated Kaseya maint. plan and perform our own maint.plans in SQL 2005. We disabled the maint in Kaseya and now we will be running a backup one daily and re-indexing every other day because of the chatty nature of the DB. I re-indexed today with SQL and did notice agood jump in responsiveness on the Kserver.

God Bless,

Marty

• Thanks for the feedback Marty, I looked at the performance stats for the few days since reindexing (we constantly monitor certain counters) and did notice a dramatic decline in the number of SQL process read IOs/sec, SQL disk % read time, as well as a drop in disk queue length. Write performance was virtually unaffected as was expected since indexes are mainly there to speed up queries.

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa