Kaseya Community

Cannot use VNC Remote Control from Vista

• When trying to remote control with VNC from a Vista Box to anything we are getting an error that says - VNCViewer Error - RegCreateKeyEx : Access is Denied. (5)

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Legacy Forum Name: Cannot use VNC Remote Control from Vista,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tom@tbkconsulting.biz
  • I also had this problem.

I downloaded the free version of VNC, which contains the Viewer and Server,from http://www.realvnc.com.I then installed VNC on the Vista box (make sure that you right click on the .exe and select Run as administrator). I'm sure that I also had to click throught some more Vista UAC notifications, not sure though.

Anyway, once I installed VNC this way, I was able to remote control another computer from within Kaseya on the Vista box.

Maybe someone knows if there is a way to install an ActiveX control in IE7 as an administrator in Vista? I think that I even tried running IE7 as an administrator and installing the .dll, but that did not work either.

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ChrisRowland
  • Thank you that worked ... but i'd imagine going forward this is going to be an issue that Kaseya should look at ...

Legacy Posted By Username: tom@tbkconsulting.biz
  • It was identified as "in progress" in today's 4.7.0 product announcement webinar.

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • The remote control components and ActiveX control (kasRmtHlp class) requires elevated administrator privileges to install from within the browser on the Vista box on which the administrator is initiating the remote control session.

To complete the installation successfully through the browser, without needing to install VNC, launch a web browser by right mouse clicking on the IE7 icon and select "Run as administrator" from the popup men. Starting it this way will give that instance of IE7 the rights to needed by the ActiveX contrl to create the registry settingsfor the VNC viewer. The remote control session should then run as it would on any other Windows OS.

Subsequent remote control sessions can then be run from a browser launched normally (i.e. without the "Run as administrator") after the registry settings have been made.

Legacy Posted By Username: PWong
  • I had a bit of a mind block going over UAC, but from a discussion elsewhere in the forum, I found my senses and switched it off.

VNC control has been fine since then (even under 4.6).

The whole Vista experience has gotten a bit better as well.

gordon

Legacy Posted By Username: gordonc
  • protmode.jpg
    I have the standard VNC with Kaseya (4.1.2) working under Vista Business Enterprise; the trick was to add our Kaseya server to the Trusted Sites category in Internet Options and turn Protected Mode OFF for trusted sites. When I click on a shortcut to the server a new browser window is opened and VNC initializes just fine.

Picture of config attached.

Legacy Posted By Username: hndrcks