Kaseya Community

Backup/Restore (Acronis) Universal Restore feature

• We have been having some troubles restoring images made with Kaseya backup going onto hardware that is slightly different (not major differences, just new desktop equipment, for example).

Acronis touts the new Universal Restore feature as an add-on license feature. Is that capability "licensed" or enabled when we create an ISO bootable CD to restore an image to new hardware?

If not, how do we enable it? Can we simply go to Acronis and buy the Universal Restore license for $299?

Legacy Forum Name: Backup/Restore (Acronis) Universal Restore feature,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • I would believe so.

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Just so I'm crystal on this point.

On the current BU/DR function, if, for example, a HD goes down on a laptop, would I need to replace it with the exact same part in order for the TrueImage restore to work? ie same disk size, rpms, manufacturer...

Thanks in advance

Legacy Posted By Username: systemet
  • Nope. You would just need a drive that is compatible with your laptop.

Only when you go from PATA to SATA or SCISI (or go from any of these to the other) have I heard of problems.

• I'd still like clarification from Kaseya on the Universal Restore option.

We have had multiple situations where enough of the hardware changed that the restore failed miserably. Manual replacement of HAL didn't work. Universal Restore is supposed to fix that problem.

• kentschu wrote:
    I'd still like clarification from Kaseya on the Universal Restore option.

We have had multiple situations where enough of the hardware changed that the restore failed miserably. Manual replacement of HAL didn't work. Universal Restore is supposed to fix that problem.

Why not trial Universal Restore from Acronis and find out for sure? I really can't see why it wouldn't work as Kaseya just installs plain-jane Acronis when it installs.

• I almost forgot. If you want to really get under the hood of Acronis I suggest spending time at the Acronis forums:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

-Farzon

• At this time, you cannot use the Acronis Universal Restore tool with Kaseya BU-DR. The Universal Restore tool is tied to a serial number of the Acronis True Image product.

If you are looking to restore to another box, try the following:

Perform the restoration

Rather than reboot when it is complete, insert your Windows CD and reboot.

Windows will detect that Windows is already installed and ask to reinstall or repair.

Select repair. A fair amount of time, this will install the drivers needed on that machine and then it will reboot and you will be on your way.

We are evaluating the Universal Restore tool from Acronis. It is still relatively new and may take a few more releases before we have a comfort level suitalbe to make it an addition to the product.

Legacy Posted By Username: jimalves
  • We've tried the Windows CD repair/re-install. And in a number of situations it still did not work.

We just want it available for good old fashioned CD-based restore. We're not looking to use the unattended restore or anything.

I guess I'll just need to work with Acronis to find a way to get a copy of it that will work with our serial number/license.

• I would like to request this feature to be added. Bare Metal restore WITH dissimilar hardware would be a massive time saver.

Dan...

Legacy Posted By Username: dan@innovationnetworks.ca
  • fwiw, with Win XP I've recently restored to a different box and watched XP re-configure the hardware drivers with no install CD using Compaq machines of a similar age. I used Image for Windows shareware. My guess is that it could work with 2 Dell Machines, or maybe any 2 similar machines from the same mfgr. It's free to try and is relatively fast.

Legacy Posted By Username: ggibbs