Kaseya Community

Changing your public IP address in Kaseya

• I recently had to change the Public IP address of our network. I reconfigured our router setup, and had to pick a new IP from our pool.

I just figured I'd share how I accomplished this with you guys, in case anyone else ever needs to do the same thing. (If this is already documented, I apologize for the double entry!)

NOTE: These steps need to be done BEFORE you change your IP address. If you don't do these steps first, you will cut the connection between the Kaseya clients and the server, and then have to go on site to repair.

STEP 1:

Determine your new IP address and write it down. ALSO write down your OLD (or current) IP address.

STEP 2:

STEP 3:

Set the PRIMARY KSERVER address to the NEW IP address you are changing to.

STEP 4:

Set the SECNODARY KSERVER address to your OLD IP address.

STEP 5:

Now get ALL Kaseya clients to check in. You can verify this by monitoring the "Check-in control" page you just updated. Look at the list of Kaseya clients. Any that have the IP addresses in RED have not checked in yet. They ALL need to check in and get the updated IP info. You can use WAKE-ON-LAN if some machines are turned off. Or, if necessary, place a call to the Client and ask them to switch specific machines on. Just make sure you get ALL machines updated with the new IP address. (NOTE: At this point, you should notice that your clients are configured with TWO IP addresses-- your old one and the new one. This is important as it will allow you to revert to your old IP address in case anything goes wrong.)

It would be a Best Practice idea to plan for a new IP address about a week in advance if you have a lot of Clients. That way you can make sure that all of them check-in to the server within that week, and get the updated IP info.

STEP 6:

AFTER all Clients have checked in with the KServer, they should all have the updated IP info. NOW you can change the IP address within Kaseya. This is the point where you would click on the System-->Configure and"Change external name / IP address of Server". (NOTE: You can also use this same procedure to change the port # at any time). Once you have the external name/IP address updated, you can re-configure your router and switch your public internet to where it needs to be. The port forwarding in your router should remain unchanged unless you changed port #.

STEP 7:

Once your new IP address has been established, now you can go back into your configuration for your Kaseya Clients (under Agent-->Check-in control) and set BOTH the PRIMARY and SECONDARY IP to the NEW IP address. (You don't have to do this step immediately. They will function just fine if they have both IPs entered for awhile.)

STEP 8 (FINAL):

Now make sure every Agent checks in and gets their IP updated. Again, you can use the Agent-->Check-in control page to monitor this. Just watch the page until all the IP address are BLACK instead of RED. Once they are BLACK, that means they have checked in and obtained the updated IP info, and that indicates that they are communicating with the server, so life is good.

Hope this helps!

Legacy Forum Name: Changing your public IP address in Kaseya,
    Legacy Posted By Username: PCC-Tim
  • The other option is to have the agents all checking in to a fully qualified domain name.

That way, when you change IP addres, which we also did recently, you don't need to stuff around within Kaseya and the agents. You simply need to change your DNS server and all will work.

Regards,

John

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jedmonds
  • We use DNS name in the primary and IP address in the secondary. That way we get the benefit of name resolution and the fallback of the IP address if there are DNS issues at a client site.

Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • Those are both excellent ideas! Thanks for the tips.

Legacy Posted By Username: PCC-Tim