Kaseya Community

product update

• I am just wondering if anyone knows when kaseya will release the next version of features. I'm also wondering if the Microsoft Office patches will ever be able to install without user intervention. Or maybe does anybody know of how to do scripts that might automate this process?

Thanks,

Legacy Forum Name: product update,
    Legacy Posted By Username: LibertyLabs
  • Required user interaction is a function of the patch produced by Microsoft. Older versions ofOffice (Office 2000 and earlier) just don't support silent installs. Office XP and Office 2003 do support silent installs with one exception:Office service packs. These almost always pop up dialog boxes. We are constantly working on the Patch Management system and have several new improvements coming in the next release. The feature list or release schedule have not been nailed down yet so we can't release any details at this time.

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Sutherland
  • Thanks Mark. Sounds good to me.

I think I have found a way to eliminate the use of using the installation CDs or network shares DURING the patching process (maybe someone else has written about this also, i'm not sure). If for some reason the patches need the installation files, cancel the current patching process. Then go to "add/remove" of microsoft office and select "Change" and then in the windows, try to find the "REPAIR" option.You will then have to supply theoriginal installation disk or network share.I think this just adds all the missing installation files. Then run the patching again and it won't need the disk or share.

After this process I don't think you'll ever need to supply anything else during the patches. It is kind of extra work at first, but down the road, it will be less work because you won't need those disks or shares at every PC every month of the microsoft patch releases.

I'll still be waiting for any other new features/advances in the patching process. I'm always looking for anything that will make it easier. Patching is probably the very worst part of my job.

Thanks,

• Interesting. What version of Office are you able to do this with?

Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Sutherland
  • Office 2003 provides the capability to leave a copy of the installation files on the local hard disk. This is known as the MSOCache. If the MSOCache is present, the installation media is typically not required. There are a number of reason why the MSOCache might not be on the machine from disk space issues to the appropriate check box not set to install the MSOCache.

As I understand it, running Repair will automatically install the MSOCache on the local machine subject to the same constraints as existed during the original installation.

However the MSOCache gets installed (installation or repair) if it can be, it will be machine dependent. You cannot assume that becasue the repair option added the MSOCache to one machine that it will be able to do it to all machines.

For more information on Office Patch Management, go to http://www.kaseya.com/kforum/view_topic.php?id=528&forum_id=24.

Legacy Posted By Username: jpaquette
  • Yes jpaquette, i don't assume it does it to all machines. I manually use the "repair" option on ALL the machines. But sadly, i tried this just yesterday one of the machines and it still requested the CDs after i did the "repair" option. So now i don't know if this actually works and it just failed this time or if i was just being lucky all the other times. And I'm pretty sure it does not work at all for Visio or Frontpage if they are installed seperate from "office". I've tried multiple machines with those programs and the "repair" option didn't help them not require CDs later on.

And I've been doing this with Office Proffesional 2003. I'm not sure about the other versions.