Kaseya Community

folder backup option fails but reports sucess

• Hi

We are trying out the Kaseya backup module and have found that when we run a backup using folders the backup will fail when it finds open pst files. Whilst this is a problem that we would like to solve we are also finding that Kaseya reports that these backups were sucessful when they actually failed. Sad

To try and rule out any config errors I have done some backups using the folder option and setting the backup to only opperate on MS Word/Excel etc. file types. This works fine for both backup and restore.

Has anyone else encountered this problem ?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Ed

Legacy Forum Name: folder backup option fails but reports sucess,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Ed Gillies
  • In our organization we are only doing images. This shoudl solve your problem. The only unfortuate things about doing images is that you cannot exclude data. But I would guess that you PST files would defailty backuif you where doing images. Also you can restore files if you do images as well , you dont have to restore the entire image.

hope this helps

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: seangoss
  • Folder backup can not access files that the OS blocks copy on. outlook.pst is one of those files. When applications open files, they can select exclusive access or not. Exclusive access prevents any other program (even Windows Explorer) from copying the file.

Volume backup does sector level copying and therefore bypasses the OS file system (which is why it works and also why it requires a driver).

We have plans for a furture release to allow you to include/exclude folders from the volume backup. Until then you'll have to use full volume backup to capture an open .pst file.

Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Sutherland
  • Thanks for the info, I will pass this on.

When is the next release due ?

Legacy Posted By Username: Ed Gillies
  • Currently looking at the end of February or beginning of March. No guarantees though.

Legacy Posted By Username: Mark Sutherland
  • I kind of face a situation similar to yours. I try to back up all client .pst files and it fails when the clients Outlook program is left open. But the logs show that kaseya fails at restoring it. My problem is that Kaseya never sends me an email to alert me that it failed. I have checked the options to make Kaseya email me alerts when any type of failure occurs in the backup module, but I have NEVER received an email about the many failures I've had. Maybe this is a different issue and I need to start a new thread?

Legacy Posted By Username: LibertyLabs