Kaseya Community

Ability to schedule workstations to auto update multiple times weekly

• We don't want to set auto update patching to not skip if offline but also if a machine is off we HATE to have to wait a week before it can be patched again.

I know there's the ability to add a machine to multiple machine collections but (we auto update 1/7 of our machines daily using a machine collection for each day) is it in the plans to be able to set this up or does anyone know of how we can do this automatically?

Hope I'm being clear and any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Bryant

Legacy Forum Name: Ability to schedule workstations to auto update multiple times weekly,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bryant
  • I'm not sure I completly understand, as how can you effect the automatic update date with a machine collections? The automatic update date is totally independant from the other patch mangement features.

My question would be - what is the big deal about having the machines just do it the next time they appear online? If most get it at the alloted time, then there shouldn't be many to pick it up the next time they come online? Also it is unlikely they will all come back in again at the same time, so it shouldn't be a problem of them all rushing off to get updates at the same time?

What exactly are you trying to avoid and why?

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • Trying to lay out the whole picture. We have Machine collectionscalled Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

We put 1/7 of our agents in each machine collection.

Under patch management under in the automatic updates section we schedule each machine collection to update on the day they are called.

My question was yes you can add machines to multiple collections, but I wanted to be able to schedule multiple days to the automatic update patching schedule.

I guess my panacea would have been making group "A" members of my Monday and Thursday machine collections, having those machine collections set to patch on Monday and Thursday with the automatic update feature. But I'd set Monday, then when I do Thursday currently as you know if changes them from Monday to Thursday to do the patching.

I guess we could set everything to do the automatic update every night but theres only so much time torun our 12+ nightly cleanup and checking scripts, schedule and perform patching, reboot and patch scan before people have to work.

The reason we don't want to get rid of the skip if offline option that you stated is the reason you said wouldn't likely happen. 95% of our clients start from 8:30AM to 9AM so all PCs would turn on then and try getting updates at the same time. We've tried this and it wasn't pretty, even though pulling updates from the internet.

• You've thought about this a lot haven't you? Smile

Obviously given the detail you have gone into, this is a very specific case. I can't think of a way to aheive this with the current product in the way you describe.

We have found in most cases that running th patch management once a week is fine. Once the patches have been scheduled, they will just get onto the machine as a when the connection is available to download the patches etc.

What is the reason for all this, is the issue bandwidth?

• Server utilization issue actually, with 1000 agents online they stop checking in pretty frequently if we patch too much at one time, which reflects our uptime reports, which customers don't like!

• Since the latest version of Kaseya, the Agent has a seperate keep alive process. This will keep in contact with the server even if the agent is busy, so this should not be an issue. Unless something goes wrong with the patch and takes the agent out. Even a huge big service pack shouldn't be stopping the agents from checking in...