Kaseya Community

Remote Backups

• I know that remote backup functionality was on the list of future features. Any idea if this is in beta testing? I would love to see how it works. I use another vendor to provide this to my customers. Integrating this will lift quite an administrative burden.

Legacy Forum Name: Remote Backups,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rx7kevin
  • The Disaster Recovery and Backupmodule is in the planning stage. I'll keep you posted on the progress. We should have something soon as an overview of the features. Once we get through the planning and details for implementation, it doesn't take very long to add the module.

Legacy Forum Name: Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jimalves
  • I was just looking at something from remote-backup.com . I have elavuated it and it seems to be pretty nice. I would really love it if kaseya had somethign like this product built into it. That would be rockin.Cool

Legacy Posted By Username: seangoss
  • I think the best model for what the backup should be something like is the retrospect backup its pretty sweet in how it runs and the install is very similar kaseya. Check it out. The overall cost the the software is really small and the license aspect it the best part of the whole program. http://www.dantz.com/

RemoteTechs

Legacy Posted By Username: RemoteTechs
  • I don't see much about it or how it works other than it was acquired.

• Will the backup module be HIPPA(Healthcare & Insurance) and Sarbanes-Oxley (Financial and Corporate) compliant?

• Don't know. Compliance comes with/from the health care provider/organization in their compliance with the HIPAA requirements and guidelines. Actually not really sure I have ever seen something that actually says their is a certification and who does the certification.

Applications from vendors do not necessarily have "compliance" requirements. I've looked atthe IT guidelines for HIPAA and the primary responsiblity lieswith the health care provider/organization and secondarily on the IT service providers.

Our stance is that we are designed to help meet the requirements.

• That is correct. We can only help the Health Organtization comply. Basically what HIPPA states is that their confidential data MUST be backed-up and stored OFF-SITE.

There is immense opportunity here for ITSOs. If not the managed IT then Remote Data Backup. Dentists seem to be the most interesting. They are ususaly a small firm and the Owner makes al of the decisions. You can throw in chiropracters and a large portion of general practitioner and specialized doctors.

I will be involved in a Dentist continuing education seminar in May. Hopefully I can sell Kaseya as the remote data backup solutionSmile.

I don't know for sure but I think all medical field professionals have to attend continuing ed. during the year. This could be a great marketing tool for ITSOs.

• I have been looking into Dantz and other backup utilities. I noticed a trend in many to support sending the backups via ftp. Upon futher digging I found that most also encrypt their data.

I currently use Remote-backup.com to backup my clients data. I think that the Kaseya server has most, if not all of the tools for remote backup. It has the vehicle, encrypted FTP. It has the reporting engine for logs, email, and user billing. I think that the data should be stored off of the root of a drive and not buried inside the kaseya folders, although each user already has its own folder. If you used the Kaseya user folders it would be useful fo be able to move that data to another drive, raid array or SAN.

Recovery will be the biggest hurdle.I looked at Dantz and others that had the ability to create a recovery cd for bare metal installs. That is one of the best insurance policies for a quick recovery. Just ask the user to pop in the recovery cd and toggle through a wizard, then start the reinstall and recovery from the last backup.

I will post some of the data backup utilities I looked at later.