Kaseya Community

Machine groups/orgs/departments

• Hi everyone,

I have heard the explanations and saw the demos relating for this, but I am still having issues grasping how K2 does machine groups.  I'm currently migrating clients one by one from our legacy Kaseya K5 system.  

Ideally I would just have machine groups named by client.  That's how I have it in K5.  I have (fake names) financialcorp, lawyergroup, etc, and then if I need a separate group (which isn't that often), I do lawyergroup.sanfran, lawyergroup.homeusers.  

Now in K2, I have to have this notion of orgs, and to make things simple, I made one org called mng (our company's initials), so the above fake names are mng.financialcorp, mng.lawyergroup, etc.  

This convention seems pointless - I really wish I could have it the way I do in K5.  If I make an org for each client, I end up with financialcorp.financialcorp, and lawyergroup.lawyergroup.  Is there anything I can do to make it like K5?

Thanks all,

Jason

• We have ours set so each customer gets a Org, and in the Org we use machine groups.

Example: Our dropdown looks similar to this.

customer1

customer1.pcs

customer1.servers

customer2

customer2.pcs

customer2.servers

Our Orgs are customer1 and customer2, then we create the "pcs" or "servers" as Machine Groups in each of those. When creating Machine Groups, you do not have to user the "Parent Group" object.

What you want is doable, just keep playing with it and you'll figure it out. I think of Orgs as being a root level thing for a customer, and that is the only place I use them.

• We do it this way:

client-1

client-1.location-1

client-1.location-2

we use views to separate workstations (desktop/laptop) and servers and what not.

We don't use the departments... I think that might be more for the service desk side of things... have no idea...

• We use Scopes to filter out the organizations. Just create one or more scopes and assign the machine groups, ignoring the organizations. Voila. Our technicians don't even know that organizations exist.

We also use Scopes to break out our different MSP contracts. Works great.

• I use scopes for client access... but there's only 2 of them that need access to the system so it was pretty easy to setup.

• jesse.smith - I like this idea.  I think that may the best bet to alleviate the extra orgs for our technicians.

• Thanks, thirteentwenty - I think scopes seem like the way to accomplish it.

• NP, It takes a bit more time to set up but once you've got it done it's pretty universal just create a user, assign it to a company then use the scopes to allow/disallow access