Kaseya Community

Forum: what are you playing at?

• XeviouS
    Hi Brendan,

The existing forum is running on vBulletin, one of the best and most widely adopted pieces of community software available for its purpose...why not upgrade that? This way you can add the content you want, and easily keep the existing forum information.

Joshua Niland

I can't agree more. I have seen it numerous times in the last few years. A company gets the bright idea that a new portal and/or discussion forum is in order for what reason I don't know. Then they use some portal software that has forum functionality built in but that forum is light years behind in functionality.

ConnectWise did the same thing and it failed. I still don't go over there anymore.

Take a look around the web and you will find that the majority of successful forums use vbulletin. I would go as far to say that if you are starting a forum and don't use vbulletin, you already have 2 strikes and zero balls. The pitcher has the advantage for sure.

So to move away from vbulletin is like digging your own grave and then jumping in.

That is all I have to say about that.... SmileSmile

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmoore
  • I'd have to agree with the sentiments already expressed here. The new forum just doesn't work for me either. It's not a matter of 'fixing it up' because it is fundamentally just not up to the job.

Legacy Posted By Username: alanuhe
  • brendan.cosgrove
    Hi Everyone,

I am very sorry to hear about your discontent with the new community. We are working hard to make it more usable and to make finding good information easier.

Some of the changes about to take place include:
    - combining Service Provider and IT Dept forums so that they are all in one place, like they are here.
    - combining product groups.
    - repairing email notifications, subscriptions
    - Migration of this forum content, which requires these forums to become read-only finally.

What I would like to do is setup a Go-To-Meeting with as many of you on this thread would like to join to discuss more specifics about how I can help make the new community more useful for you.

Please email me with your time zone and desired time of day for this meeting. brendan.cosgrove@kaseya.com

Brendan, are you deaf? Listen to what we are telling you for christ's sweet sake. The new forum / community / whatever you want to call it is total garbage. Since Kaseya Support is so woefully inadequate, we need a forum that works (like this one) where us Kaseya Admins can converse, and review RELEVANT information about how to use the product and solve issues. Asking for our input AFTER implementing that new abortion you call a "community" only makes you and everyone at Kaseya look very bad. What kind of customer relations policy is that??? Go-to-meeting? Who the hell has time in their day to attend something like that?

Legacy Posted By Username: cdillihunt
  • cdillihunt
    Brendan, are you deaf? Listen to what we are telling you for christ's sweet sake. The new forum / community / whatever you want to call it is total garbage. Since Kaseya Support is so woefully inadequate, we need a forum that works (like this one) where us Kaseya Admins can converse, and review RELEVANT information about how to use the product and solve issues. Asking for our input AFTER implementing that new abortion you call a "community" only makes you and everyone at Kaseya look very bad. What kind of customer relations policy is that??? Go-to-meeting? Who the hell has time in their day to attend something like that?

I will chime in again with a big AMEN to the above statements. I know it will be a bruise to the ego, but dump the new forum already and get everyone pointed back here so this can become useful again.

Instead of trying to create a new "community", can't you guys spend your time and effort creating a half-way decent reporting engine in K2? I'm currently evaluating itControlSuite, and it's reports are so simple to use that if I switched I wouldn't have to waste time training my techs and sales people how to run basic reports like I do with in K2.

Please put your time where it's needed instead of trying to create solutions to problems that don't exist. Thanks

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • First off, let's not let's this degrade into name calling and personal attacks.

I have setup a GTM for tomorrow at 12pm PST for anyone who would like to discuss this topic. I've had a few calls this week with some of our top vBulletin users and already received good, constructive, specific feedback. I'm hoping this meeting will yield more of the same.

Here are the details:

Here is the link and call info:
    Friday, September 24 at 12:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time.
    https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/608294505
    Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
    Dial 218-844-4920
    Access Code: 608-294-505
    Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

Meeting ID: 608-294-505

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • kcears

Instead of trying to create a new "community", can't you guys spend your time and effort creating a half-way decent reporting engine in K2?

We just released SP1 for K2. It is an "as needed" release and won't get pushed to your server automatically. It contains mostly hotfixes and a roll up of previous hotfixes, but it also includes a few feature enhancements including some changes in InfoCenter and Audit, a basic Linux agent and a few more. Here is a link to the release notes to see if there is something you would like to have updated on your server.
    http://help.kaseya.com/WebHelp/en/VSA/index.htm?toc.htm?VSAReleaseNotes.htm

You can download it via our Download Center on the website here:
    http://www.kaseya.com/support/Downloads.aspx

• brendan.cosgrove
    We just released SP1 for K2. It is an "as needed" release and won't get pushed to your server automatically. It contains mostly hotfixes and a roll up of previous hotfixes, but it also includes a few feature enhancements including some changes in InfoCenter and Audit, a basic Linux agent and a few more. Here is a link to the release notes to see if there is something you would like to have updated on your server.
    http://help.kaseya.com/WebHelp/en/VSA/index.htm?toc.htm?VSAReleaseNotes.htm

You can download it via our Download Center on the website here:
    http://www.kaseya.com/support/Downloads.aspx

Thanks, I saw that yesterday in the webinar invite I received, which I plan on sitting through today. Based on the release notes it looks like the Info Center will be improved, but I'm reserving judgement on that until I get it installed and try it out.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • I was disappointed that no one was able to make it for the conference call today. I welcome each of you to give me a call or email me directly so that we can discuss the topic of the new community.

Lots of changes are coming as I've said before, and I am working hard to make it USEFUL and RELEVANT. Major system changes are challenging and this one is no different.

For those of you that have yet to register for the new community, if you would please use the same username, or let me know your new username if you've already registered with a different one.

Thank you for your active participation here, I hope that you will continue in the new community. You have a wealth of experience and knowledge that will continue to benefit us all.

My contact information is: brendan.cosgrove@kaseya.com or 415.694.5700 x1396 or my cell phone 714.928.6074

Best regards,

• brendan.cosgrove
    I am working hard to make it USEFUL and RELEVANT.

You already had a forum that is useful and relevant.

Has there been any explanation as to why this forum is being scrapped?

Legacy Posted By Username: Scott Nally
  • "Thank you for your active participation here, I hope that you will continue in the new community. You have a wealth of experience and knowledge that will continue to benefit us all. "

Sounds like thanks for your feedback but we are staying with the crappy new forum so just get over it.

I am glad I am currently trialing labtech, I think with the failure that K2 was and lets face it it was supposed to be the next gen product and all it was - was a half baked GUI and new features strapped onto an existing product and then slowed down some more - humm kinda sounds like VISTA there uggghh. And now the only saving grace the forums moved to a crappy new GUI and slowed down - seems like a pattern is forming.

Who ever is making decisions in Kaseya they are not making them for the benefit of the users thats for sure.

I watched the roadmap demo the other day - so excited to see you are introducing a competitive product to Connectwise / Autotask - surely you should get Kaseya V6 working correctly and also look to enhance it before you start spreading thin. Spreading thin = lots of products badly developed and under developed + bad support.

Its a rant I agree but when your a customer of Kaseya I think you are allowed to rant normally there is not much else to do

Although to my horror I saw that labtech have signed an agreement with AVG - NOOOOO not KES again - lucky we are only at trial stage.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • Scott,

We have several goals for the new community, including broadening our ability to interact with more types of content in more integrated way, not just the forums type of way, wiki functionality (work in progress), and documentation, video, scripts repository that allows for collaboration through comments, ratings, updates, etc.

This forum wasn't considered broken. It was determined that to meet the goal of a vibrant online community, a unified platform presented the best value and most effective way to achieve those goals.

MMartin,

I'm not sure that you've been getting good information if you think that K2 was just "a half baked GUI and new features strapped onto an existing product and then slowed down some more." The ENTIRE structure was changed and built for the things you saw in the Roadmap. Including a choice between Kaspersky and AVG for antivirus, Anti Malware with fully integrated Malewarebytes. Kaseya is about giving customers a choice of products, we have many customers asking for an alternative to CW/AT and so we are delivering something along those lines. Not to mention that full 2 way integration work with CW is currently underway as well.

I would recommend completing your upgrade to K2 before doing a Labtech evaluation. I can also put you in touch with someone who left Kaseya for greener pastures at LT and came running back to what he realized are the greenest pastures here at Kaseya.

Rants are understood, but also many times are more cathartic for the ranter than constructive.

Yes, we are still planning on moving to the new community. My hope is that you will keep an open mind about it and join in there.

ps- I am working on migrating all this content as well as your ranks over to the new community as well.

• Brendan,

Sorry couldn't make your planned meeting on Friday. Looks like everyone else was pretty much in the same boat. As for my comments, I will stand behind them. Kaseya made these changes without one - even one thread post that I could find soliciting input until after the change was was made to the new forum.

Clearly, after reading your recent responses, we're stuck with the new forum whether we like it or not. The explanation for the change (other than buzzwords like "broadening" and "vibrant" etc.) are leaving a very sour taste in my mouth, and from the sounds of some of the posters (many of which are insightful contributors) they feel the same. The offer to archive the content found here on the new forum was somewhat comforting, but when you use something day in and day out to find an answer quickly, the more standardized something is, the quicker and easier it is for the end user. The new forum is bulky, slow, and hard to navigate - Period.

Let me give you a quick case study. I work for a software company - the name and type of software is irrelevant for this example, suffice to say that our software, due to the industry it supports, is rather convoluted and complex. We had a forum very similar to this one. Our marketing people came up with the idea that it needed more pazzaz - and it wasn't based on user recommendations (funny how that happens)... Long story short, when the new "forum" was put in place, we noticed that our call volume to support shot up dramatically, and the reception of the new site was a very negative experience. The resounding cry was that users could no longer find answers quickly and easily. Needless to say, we reverted back to the original forum. Most of the clients were happy with the change, but I am certain that we lost some - forever.

In the last two major changes that Kaseya has made, first K2, which was spartan and useful and made slow eye-candy out of it, and now the forum change, which is going in the same direction - I've come to the conclusion that Kaseya does not care one iota about user input when making changes. It cares plenty after the fact apparently, but by then, it's too late.

Again, I stand behind my comments. If you feel them hurtful or unjustified, I'm sorry. You can always ban me from the forum if you wish.

• Hi Brendan,

I disagree with a lot of your comments - it is understandable you are singing the kaseya song but I have heard it before on numerous occasions. K2 is nearly a year old lets not forget.

I would appreciate you sending me on the details of that partner who moved back as it is important to get both sides of the coin - having spent a number of hours on labtech it is a far more comprehensive product although we are not at a point yet to fully test with lots of machines.

Cheers

• mmartin
    Hi Brendan,

I disagree with a lot of your comments - it is understandable you are singing the kaseya song but I have heard it before on numerous occasions. K2 is nearly a year old lets not forget.

I would appreciate you sending me on the details of that partner who moved back as it is important to get both sides of the coin - having spent a number of hours on labtech it is a far more comprehensive product although we are not at a point yet to fully test with lots of machines.

Cheers

We upgraded to K2 back in April. There are some new features, but the slowneess of the app, frequent browser crashes, and patch management problems have so far outweighed the new features. Reporting and the dashboard still don't work after many months since the upgrade and countless hotfixes. KSupport believes the problem is the Server, even though I double, triple, and quintuple checked all of the guidelines for the upgrade and followed the instructions to a "T". I pretty much gave up on KSupport after 5 reapplies of the DB Schemas and a dozen reboots. To be fair to Kaseya, I'm going to be rebuilding the Server and we'll see if that was the problem. If it doesn't fix it, I'm going to seriously have to wonder if it's worth maintaining the whole app as is or just stripping it down to ticketing.

• I just tried to post on the new forums - if you put the word labtech it replaces it with *******, wonder what happens with n-able or zenith.

How childish is that... seriously Brendan.